why does my period last so long!?!?

Yvette84

My periods have always lasted for a long time (between 7 and 9 days) and they were always quite heavy. I started to have periods when I was 10.

I noticed a change a while ago. I discovered I had fibroids.

You know your body, you've been living in it for 22 years ... If you experience somes changes, or if you have doubts about something, don't hesitate and seek medical advice. It's your health after all. Fibroids can happen at any age. I had to have a hysterectomy but it doesn't matter because I've had 3 beautiful children and I am much older than you (43). It can be anything really. It can be a really silly thing too, and nothing to worry about after all. But if you wonder about your periods perhaps it's because there is something to worry about after all? Put your mind at ease and see your doctor. I was told for almost a year that it was NORMAL for women to suffer and have heavy periods. Well ah! to that. Not true. And that doctor was a woman too. Sheesh!

The very best to you.

I started having my periods at age 11. I forever went for anywhere from 5-7 days on my periods.

Only until a about 2 years ago, did they change when I started going through the ( pre ) perimenopausal symtoms . At that time the periods became erratic.

I would say that a 7 day period is not out of the oridinary, especially if you are not on any birth control pills.

7 days?! 11 days? wow, you do not have to put up with that.

At the correct dosage/brand, BC can be beneficial to your body and mind, and new generation pills such as Yasmin etc really have very low incidences of weight gain.

And let's not forget the 98% pregnancy protection...sex whenever/wherever.

Yasmin gives me light 4 days periods that start, generally, exactly on time (5-6pm every 4th monday).

I'd really urge you to consider it. It may take trial/error, but it's very worth it.

• 3 years later...

okay now i feel irregular. I am 16 (not on the pill) and my period usually lasts for 11 days normally but right now it is odd this is my 19th day. 3 weeks by tuesday I hate this I don't even get cramps or any kind of pain but it is such a hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the other posts...so this may have been said. I had VERY heavy and long periods with extremely bad cramps when I was younger. I googled it, and they suggested going on birth control. I have been on it for 8 years now, and my periods are way better. They used to last 8 days, now they are 4-5 max. and much lighter.

Archived