Anyone out there cured of cheek biting?

baybrat

I've had this habit for about 30 years. I chew constantly on the insides of my cheeks and lips. I've worn my teeth doing it. I can't stop even though my teeth are so sensative from doing it, I'm in pain all the time. I've read that this habit is related to cutting and picking. I can't afford another bill for therapy. I know it's probably stress related. Does anyone know of a way to stop?

You're teeth aren't worn from cheek biting.. If you're a cheek biter chances are you are a bruxer too. (Clenching and grinding your teeth) Either way, both habits are painful.

I'm a dental hygiene student and I have the same habit.. All my life.. My teeth are already worn to half their size and I'll need skin grafts to replace my gums that I've worn away by grinding in the next year or so.

Throughout the day try to become aware of your cheek biting (and clenching your jaw if you do that too). The first step to breaking a habit is becoming aware of it. When you catch yourself doing it, stop. Remind yourself to relax. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed. It isn't easy but as long as you are countering your habit little by little you'll start doing it less.

The other thing you might want to think about doing is talking to your dentist about getting a mouth guard to wear at night. Not a sports mouth guard.. Your dentist can make you one specifically for grinding your teeth. If your habit is really strong even at night you will eventually need to get it replaced. Your teeth are stronger than plastic and so they will only wear away the plastic of the mouth guard rather than wear away the enamel of your teeth. In the long run it's a lot better to replace a piece of plastic.

I brux my teeth (didn't know the term - thanks Scotcha!) and use a retainer at night to protect my teeth. I grind when I'm under a lot of stress, so I use it during the day too. It also helps relax my jaw muscles - before the guard, I'd unconsciously do it to the point that it hurt my jaw for the rest of the day. But the retainer positions them in such a way that I no longer do it.

I suppose there's something similar for cheek biting. Anyway, with plastic around your teeth, it's a bit hard to chew your cheeks. As for getting the guard, that's a different story. I'm sure your health insurance would cover it as part of your dental plan, though that depends on your plan.

Chewing gums leads to erosion of enamel... It could contribute to the problem at hand, even if it is sugar-free and whatnot. It protects the cheeks perhaps, but only at the expense of the teeth.

Also, it's best to stay away from acidic foods to maintain your teeth's natural protective coating. Do a google search for more info.

• 3 years later...

I stopped over two months ago. I bit my cheeks for 26 years and I wanted to post to try and help others quit. I bit my cheeks and lips raw when anxious, like most biters. For me, its social anxiety--I would do it on my way to a public place, or worse--in public, or merely at home thinking about other people and places.

Here's what I did:

When I felt the urge come on, I smiled instead--at others, at the room, at myself--it didn't matter, just as long as my mouth was busy. Smiling put my mouth to work, it gave it something to do. It also made me feel better about myself, cause I seemed happy, with all that smiling I was doing. Sometimes feeling better in a situation is as simple as that. When the urge got too powerful for smiling, I put gum in my mouth and chewed it like there was no tomorrow. Carry your gum with you everywhere.

All my biting urges were completely gone after 48 hours. It was the first 48 hours that were the most difficult.

I hope this helps someone.

I'm going to try that!

I brux really badly and have chewed the insides of my mouth for most of my life. Even being told that chewing on the tissues constantly can cause cancer?? what?? hasn't been enough to stop the habit. The worst part is that when I've spent the day doing it, it hurts too much to brush my teeth at night and so I can only floss or gargle mouthwash.

Archived