Can you fall in love with someone...

sparkle1

hmmm I think it could be possible,for instance if your having a friendship /relationship with someone online that you have never really met I think it could be possible.

If your doing allot of communicating with them have been talking to them for many days and months and really get to know them very personally than I think It is very possible you can fall for them in a big way.

Well it would seem to be a very unsuperficial (is that a word?) version of what 'love' is.

Personally I view the word 'love' as meaning I would lay down in the middle of the road for that person if it would stop anything bad happening to them, which is also why i'd NEVER use it loosely, it's not about stroking their ego, it's also knowing what's important to me and an extension of that is who I choose to love.

Surely knowing someone's personality is important online. Whereas in real life personality doesn't play any part (no matter how politically correct people want to pretend to be) because when you meet someone for the first time you know right away if you would or wouldn't based on physical attraction alone.

Easy, hidden surprises (God I can't spell today) and having new feelings that you struggle to understand. To a logical mind, not being able to explain anything away easily is something not to be taken lightly.

And Closure...why would falling in love with someone before meeting them be any more terrifying then fallin for someone you met?

What about if she lives in the next street?

Is it still a LDR?

Yes, it's very possible to love someone you've never met. It's called a LDR - Long Distance Relationship. I had a 5 month LDR... best time of my life, and I did truly love her. Cam and Mic does help, so does that occasional visit.

Well it would seem to be a very unsuperficial (is that a word?) version of what 'love' is.

Personally I view the word 'love' as meaning I would lay down in the middle of the road for that person if it would stop anything bad happening to them, which is also why i'd NEVER use it loosely, it's not about stroking their ego, it's also knowing what's important to me and an extension of that is who I choose to love.

Surely knowing someone's personality is important online. Whereas in real life personality doesn't play any part (no matter how politically correct people want to pretend to be) because when you meet someone for the first time you know right away if you would or wouldn't based on physical attraction alone.

Unsuperficial sounds like a word...to me it does.

But surely if personality wasnot important when meeting someone...you wouldn't know what personality traits you look for in a woman

I agree in part with what you are saying...don't they say we make our minds up if we 'fancy/want to be with someone" within the first 10 seconds..thereforeeee falling for someone online would contradict that....

Or is it possible...that heart and mind are over riding eyes for once?

hmmmmm

It would seem that the internet would be the perfect place for the heart and mind to overide the eyes. At least in my opinion.

I have no problem admitting i'm shallow as anything and will never talk to someone i'm not physically attracted to, I mean why would I?

Then again i've spoken to women i've found attractive and been turned off in seconds.

Personality counts, of course it does, but generally it's second.

Unsuperficial sounds like a word...to me it does.

But surely if personality wasnot important when meeting someone...you wouldn't know what personality traits you look for in a woman

I agree in part with what you are saying...don't they say we make our minds up if we 'fancy/want to be with someone" within the first 10 seconds..thereforeeee falling for someone online would contradict that....

Or is it possible...that heart and mind are over riding eyes for once?

hmmmmm

I don't think you are shallow for saying that.

however....have you never had occasions where someone on the eye is a 'No goer' but as you've spoken to them, they have become more attractive? (and no i was not meaning after 7 pints..!)...

So falling in love with someone online...is the overriding of the eyes. Does that not make you wonder about how many other potential 'loves' you could have met if we'd all not judged on looks alone?!

People I don't find attractive speak to me all the time but they are already in my, I wouldn't sleep with you, ever, box. So it really doesn't make much difference to me because I wouldn't suddenly find someone physically attractive if they had the personality of koko the clown. Just doesn't work like that for me.

For me, personally I don't worry about 'potential loves' that have past, i'm never going to be single, I look great and could find a new lover anytime I want one. For the same reasons as above, I wouldn't have a potential love if I didn't find them physically attractive.

I don't think you are shallow for saying that.

however....have you never had occasions where someone on the eye is a 'No goer' but as you've spoken to them, they have become more attractive? (and no i was not meaning after 7 pints..!)...

So falling in love with someone online...is the overriding of the eyes. Does that not make you wonder about how many other potential 'loves' you could have met if we'd all not judged on looks alone?!

Sparkle - Do you mean fall in love with someone you know but have not physically met? I think it's completely possible!

If it's falling in love before ever speaking to or meeting someone, that's falling in love with the idea of being in love with a certain type of person. To me - it's linked to vulnerability. How can you love so much before having any idea of a persons personality or looks?

Not necessarily. Often in person, they will be completely different... or on a similar wavelength, but not "the same" as online/over the phone. Even if, once met, appearances are fine, it's still the person as a whole you'll find yourself having to get to know.

People online != People IRL

Of Note: I've had it happen where, myself and a girl, have fallen for eachother the first time we met [in a non-dating environment]. This is what they'd call "love at first sight" I suppose. It still amazes me, to be honest.

So it is a case of falling in love with the 'person' and who they are...rather then what they are?

exactley

It would seem that the internet would be the perfect place for the heart and mind to overide the eyes. At least in my opinion.

I have no problem admitting i'm shallow as anything and will never talk to someone i'm not physically attracted to, I mean why would I?

Then again i've spoken to women i've found attractive and been turned off in seconds.

Personality counts, of course it does, but generally it's second.

yes it is true the internet can easly do that your heart and mind can fall for them without you seeing them,it happened to me once.

hmmm at least your admmiting your shallow,I don't think many people do.

hey I love beautiful people too but it is not evrything to me,not the most important.

yes in this society most of the time personality is second to allot of people,because what is the first thing a person sees? your looks before they know anything more... they critique you on that. most people do it just some don't admit it that they do it.

I honestly would rather have someone average looking and a great persoanlity than have someone really beautiful who is a total bore or is as dumb a you can be with no conversational skills.

but hey that is just me.

I mean falling for someone you've not yet met but you've been talking to them on line.....and on the phone, thereforeeee getting to know there personality....

I dont think its being vunerable...i think its a deeper connection then the physically attraction hurdle?

i don't think you fall in love with the thought of being in love...i think you love that person because you've made a true connection...

Nope, isn't just you, i'm the same.

Except I believe everyone is shallow, it's just a case of them having the nuts to stand up and admit it.

I might talk to 10 women I find attractive. I might find only 2 of them aren't boring/retarded or French. So i'd have two dates and everyone's happy!

I honestly would rather have someone average looking and a great persoanlity than have someone really beautiful who is a total bore or is as dumb a you can be with no conversational skills.

but hey that is just me.

exactley

yes it is true the internet can easly do that your heart and mind can fall for them without you seeing them,it happened to me once.

hmmm at least your admmiting your shallow,I don't think many people do.

hey I love beautiful people too but it is not evrything to me,not the most important.

yes in this society most of the time personality is second to allot of people,because what is the first thing a person sees? your looks before they know anything more... they critique you on that. most people do it just some don't admit it that they do it.

but hey that is just me.

I second everything you have just put...... xxx

Cl - Honesty is always good! Lol - The "I'm never going to be single" struck me. I'm sure you don't ever have to worry about being single but that you stated it. I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time!

Okay - Sparkle - I think it is completely possible to fall in love with someone over the internet. Not having anything but conversation and getting to know one another on a deeper level is amazing. I have a very close friend that is in Iraq right now. I never imagined having the friendship I have with him, having never met him.

I think one thing you should keep in mind is that "chemistry" in a relationship is very important. I think it is very possible to think you've found the perfect person and meet them and it just doesn't feel right. On the other hand - I think it's very possible that two people find a deep connection and fall madly in love and have a successful relationship.

I'm happy to say thing's. Uber-Confident-Closure

I will step where other's don't, for I have the nuts ~ Closure 2006 LOL!

Cl - Honesty is always good! Lol - The "I'm never going to be single" struck me. I'm sure you don't ever have to worry about being single but that you stated it. I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time!