Boyfriend and college?

So, my boyfriend has a job. A really, really good job that actually pays a six digit figure, and he's only barely 20. I am 30, about to hit 31.

We were at a friend's place today, and we talked about college for a short period of time. He didn't seem to interested in going, but I however, think it would benefit us, especially him, in the future.

I'm not going to force him to go, but what if we end up getting married abd having children? I want him to have a good education, and a little knowledge about families, and children if we ever have any.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't think being loving parents requires a certificate of some sort. When you're a parent (for most), you just naturally come to know your role and responsibility.

Anyway, I think your boyfriend is doing pretty darn good career wise for his young age. You can look at that as a precursor to being able to provide comfortably for your family if you two do get married. Not a lot of 20 year olds have that luxury. And if and when he gets older and is tired of making money, he can always finish school then. Remember that schooling is not for everybody and each and every one of us will learn at our own pace.

So, my boyfriend has a job. A really, really good job that actually pays a six digit figure, and he's only barely 20. I am 30, about to hit 31.

We were at a friend's place today, and we talked about college for a short period of time. He didn't seem to interested in going, but I however, think it would benefit us, especially him, in the future.

I'm not going to force him to go, but what if we end up getting married abd having children? I want him to have a good education, and a little knowledge about families, and children if we ever have any.

Thoughts?

i agree with sun kissed - having a college education doesn't mean that you'll be good with kids. I have two college degrees and am in grad school, and I didn't learn much about raising children in those classes apart from that you're not supposed to feed honey to babies.

do you think he'd make a good dad? do you even think he is ready for that? he is pretty young.

as for in the US... a 20 year old male and a 30 year old female may raise a few eyebrows, but they are both legal adults, and if he is making such a good living (and not at home living with his parents), then it doesn't make too much difference.

I know college opens you up to so much of the world. Regardless of his job, college would be good for him.

Especially if you went to college and want to be able to converse on that level.

You could tell him that education means a lot to you. You will have more in common if you both are college educated.

What job pays 6 digits without a college education? Is he a salesman?

Is a 20 year old with a 30 year old pretty much okay in America?

I was uncomfortable from the first line, sorry if that's rude, just asking...

Yes. They are both adults. Once you hit 18 there's no rules as far as age-gap relationships go. What's the problem?

Huntress, I understand your concern about the college education being important, but to echo what another poster wrote I think the most important thing is that a man has the means to provide for his mate and possible future family (roof over your head, food on the table, clothes, etc.) not necessarily the education (I have a BA degree so I am not anti-education in case anyone was wondering). Although it is important to have goals, college is not for everyone. I happen to know some people with degrees that work at Blockbuster video and grocery stores. Nothing wrong with that, but my point is that if he has a good stable job, is a hard worker, and is financially stable and able etc. those are the things that I would really focus on. My father was a great provider with no college education as well as my mother. They raised 3 girls and put us all through college, people do it all the time! Your man makes 6 figures! Consider yourself lucky...just my opinion. The 10 year age difference also kinda caught my eye, my boyfriend is 10 years younger than me as well.

Anyways... colleges will always be around. I had 70 year olds in some of my classes so it's never too late to go to school.

So, my boyfriend has a job. A really, really good job that actually pays a six digit figure

Does that include the figures after the decimal place.....?

My guess is that this is a sales job (and there will always be money for people who can sell), but the real issue is 20 years from now, is it possible he'll want to do something else. Generally, a college education long term would probably make life easier. An undergraduate degree is, at this point, almost assumed in many jobs and he may have a problem switching later on without it.

yeah, maybe in 5, 10, or 20 years, he will change his mind.

you know, he is doing quite well for himself right now! if he works like this for the next 5-10 years, he can easily afford to go back to college later. there's no reason you need to start college straight out of high school. in fact, I would say that people who enter college later tend to be more focused and better students, because they are there to really get an education, not just because their moms and dads wanted them to go.

if he is saving away some of the money he is making, and investing and putting it in his retirement account, he's going to be doing really well one day.