The other day at work I was on drive thru at the burger king where I work and having a particually bad day.. The cars were lined up all the way around the building and customers were complaining, it was a horrible day to say the least. So I'm rushing thru orders trying to get cought up and naturally I had a depressed "I hate my job" kinda look on my face. Just then my next order pulls up in the drive thru and its a grey family van. Theres a mother in the front seat and a little girl that looked to be about 5 or 6 years old in the back seat closest to my drive thru window. The little girl hands me a 20 dollar bill to pay for the meal, and she tilled her head to the side and said " Hey mister, why do you look so sad?" I just replied "Oh I just get like this sometimes, I'm just having a long day that's all, but thank you very much for asking." trying to be nice to the little girl. ( You should never be mean to little kids ) she pauses for a second and says " I know! I have a present for you!" she reaches around behind her seat and pulls out this little rock. She then says " Here you go, It's a pretty rock, Its sparkley"

She had on the cutest little smile through all this. I took the rock and placed it on the counter next to me and handed her her kids meal and the mother thanks me and said " Have a nice day, try not to get to depressed, I know how hard it can be working in these kinda places."

I said "Thank you" and they drove off. I looked over and picked up the rock and thats when it hit me. I just smiled, I couldn't help but smile. Something so simple and innocent and it really brightened my day.

In that single little moment I was given a very special gift. I was given the smile of a young child. One that wasn't jaded by the weight of the world. Uncurrupted by politics and highschool melodrama. Pure innosince. She gave me something that doesn't have a price tag and cannot simply be bought. She gave me a smile burn of pure imagination. She saw something in that rock, something made her pick it up off the ground and the simple act of moving the rock around under the light to make it sparkle made her smile. And she gave me that rock in the hopes that what makes her smile would do the same for me. And it did. She gave me the gift of a moment. A moment of pure simplicity and happiness born off it. Something that is very hard to come by these days.

I kept the rock and it sits on my desk today. It surves as a reminder to me that life doesn't always have to be so complicated. I remember as a child the simplest of things used to fascinate me and I had a lust for life and everything it had to offer before the weight of the world brought me down. The rock serves to remind me of that.

Too me it says " Hey this is your inner child, don't forget to let me out and play sometimes cuz I'm still very much a part of you." It reminds me that I need to take a step back and just smell the flowers and do like I did as a child. Find happiness in the simple things in life. Life itself.

I cherish the gift she gave me. And even though I dont know her name, amd I probably will never see that little girl again, I thank her for helping me remember a bit of who I really am.

I hope this little story helps someone else do the same, that it brightens someone elses day too. Just as that little girl did for me. Have a good one everybody!

Heres a picture of the rock too if you wanna know what it looks like.

link removed

Thank you. I needed that to remind me to count my blessings rather than dwell on my misfortune.

He don't thank me thank the girl. But a smile is the gift that keeps on giving. I just figured this was the best place to tell this story, cuz around here theres a lot of sad things that happen so something like this is needed most here. But yes your indeed welcome.

Thank you so much for sharing this story, I am studying to become an elementary school teacher for the exact reasons you state above. This occurrence gives me hope for the future of mankind. I would like to tell you that I am sincerely happy that you exist, and that from several thousand miles away I can sense your innate wisdom and goodness. Next time I feel crappy, disillusioned and dejected I will remember this story and smile.

Thank you so much for sharing this story, I am studying to become an elementary school teacher for the exact reasons you state above. This occurrence gives me hope for the future of mankind. I would like to tell you that I am sincerely happy that you exist, and that from several thousand miles away I can sense your innate wisdom and goodness. Next time I feel crappy, disillusioned and dejected I will remember this story and smile.

Thank you I'm glad I brought a smile to all your faces, and I agree working wih small children is a wonderful job idea. sure it could get hard at sometimes but hey, where else can you be among true happiness? Children are our future and sometimes they can know things we as adults tend to forget.

It;s funny how kids seem to bring us adults back to the impotant things in life. I spend quite a bit of time with my four year old niece, and it amazes me how she can easily lift my spirits.

Like one noght we were about to sit down for a Sunday family dinner, and i was tired, grumpy, sad or something, and out of no where my niece comes down stairs and tells me it is time for dinner, and she holds out her hand for me to take it to walk with her upstairs to the dining room. No how could i not smile from her act of kindness and generoisity and pure love.

Great story Tetsuo....