Hi all, i dont have a problem as such, just needed a bit of advice, if thats ok.

I have a boyfriend, been together for almost 4 years, (one year was ldr).

I have known for about a year that i have to move over 300 miles away, and until now we thought we were going to be in another long distance situation.

anyway, (very) long story short, my boyfriend surprised me by telling me he was going to be moving with me because he didnt want to lose me (we have lived together for almost 3 years, and he told me he didnt want to lose the closeness we have etc.

he owns his house, he did before he met me, (when i say owns, i means he will be paying the mortguage until his 50`s)

he doesnt want to lose his house, he doesnt want to sell it or rent it out, he wants to leave it completely empty, but carry on paying the mortguage and the insurence. in a nutshel, is there anyone out there that has ever done that? is it something that can be done.

up to now the plan is, move away together for however long it takes, and keep his house so that we both have somewhere to come back to, it works in our heads, but in real life is it a good idea?

thanks all.........f.b

Well yes, people have done that before. YOu just have to take into account that he is going to be paying out money on mortgage and home insurance so that will greatly lower the amount of money he can contribute to the new household. Also, about finding work at the new location.... what if he doesnt find some soon enough. Scary thought.

Why are you moving if you dont mind, is it school related?

hi, we have both agreed that he will come with me after he has found work, he is trying to get a transfer from his present job. plus i am already looking for work in the new location to help him pay for the house we leave behind. we want to do things by halves. we both know that getting there will be hard but we realise that having ldr again after all this time will be harder.we are moving because my son is very unhappy here, and we want to do what is best for him

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to pay for something that you won't be using. At least if he rented it out, he would be making some money to help pay for it.

But you know, if he can handle the payments and your relationship doesn't suffer from it, then I would say that it's all up to him, and you. I wouldn't find anything wrong with it.

he doesnt want to lose his house, he doesnt want to sell it or rent it out, he wants to leave it completely empty, but carry on paying the mortguage and the insurence. in a nutshel, is there anyone out there that has ever done that? is it something that can be done.

up to now the plan is, move away together for however long it takes, and keep his house so that we both have somewhere to come back to, it works in our heads, but in real life is it a good idea?

thanks all.........f.b

He should rent it out - I'm from the UK, so not sure if it's different where you are, but here it would be crazy to leave a property empty unintentionally for a long time. Do you get squatters where you are?

But also - the house should be making money. Secondly, leaving it empty is likely to lead to problems. A house that isn't lived in can suffer quite badly in terms of repairs, maintenance etc - it just makes sense to me.

Isn't there an agency near him that could take over it for him, and do short-term lets if he's a bit anxious. But cannot see the logic at all behind leaving the property empty for a long time.

Good luck!