under developed

Cbert

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old male and feel i have not developed physically into an adult. I look like a child, I am not very tall, look weak, have small penis, a baby face and extremely small hands. My chest is really under developed. When i was 13 i suffered with anorexia whilst exercising excessively at the same time. I can tell you quite honestly that i was stronger at the age of 11 then i am now. i know this because when i was that age my friend had a weights bench in his room onto which we piled all the weight and i could bench press it with ease. Jump forward to 16 and i try the same thing again, i could barely move it and almost suffered a severe accident doing it. I also feel alot weaker, especially in the bones. During that anorexic period i hardly ever drank milk or took any source of calcium. So thats my story and potentially what i think could have gone wrong. On top of this i may have had a weak puberty naturally. Anyway this might just be speculation.

My question to anyone is can the use of hormones help me at this stage in my life, and believe me at this stage i would try anything regardless of the risks. I have heard that female body builders taking these hormones develop a huge clitoris and larger bones and basically start looking like men. Please anyone give me any ideas, advice, info. Anything i can look into.

If you are considering taking steroids,

Then I would suggest against it,

You may become infertile, develop breasts,

A whole slew of side effects,

I would talk to your MD to see if he/she has any recommendations,

There may be approaches/hormone therapy that can be utilized,

But don't take anabolic steroids without talking to your MD first,

The side effects aren't worth the benefits,

Good luck,

Rose

Go see a doctor! I assume you are asking about anabolic steroids? Real bad idea at any age but even worse at your present age. They will block your systems ability to produce testosterone on it's own. You think you've got problems now, start putting this stuff in your system. See a doctor or a nutritionist, there are no quick fixes that actually work.

RC

My question to anyone is can the use of hormones help me at this stage in my life, and believe me at this stage i would try anything regardless of the risks. I have heard that female body builders taking these hormones develop a huge clitoris and larger bones and basically start looking like men. Please anyone give me any ideas, advice, info. Anything i can look into.

What you are talking about is HGH and testosterone, they are synthetic hormones created in labs.

RC

Hypogonadal men taking testosterone supplements for a year or two don't exhibit an increased risk for prostate cancer.

But younger men who take the hormone for decades to build their muscles might be at greater risk.

There are risks involved in testosterone therapy.

Make sure you discuss these risks with your MD first.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS OF TESTOSTERONE DEFICIENCY

Strength and Muscle Functioning

Furthermore, both bioavailable and total testosterone levels correlated extremely well with functional status.

Body Fat

From these findings, it appears that testosterone and SHBG levels together are the major predictors of skeletal mass. However, a relationship with IGF-1 and physical activity is not ruled out . Furthermore, two studies have demonstrated that testosterone administration results in an improvement in upper grip strength. Testosterone deficiency will cause a decline in muscle mass, as well as sarcopenia, and frailty, with numerous interactions between these effects.

Bone Density

It should be recognized also that mortality from hip fractures is higher in men with low testosterone. Deficiency is associated with minimal trauma hip fracture. In addition, there are very positive data from Tenover and colleagues showing an association of testosterone with lumbar spine density.

Go to: link removed to read the rest of the article, there's a great section on safety issues with this therapy.

Here's an article on growth hormone:

Pharmaceutical and Biotechnological Uses of Growth Hormone

In years past, growth hormone purified from human cadaver pituitaries was used to treat children with severe growth retardation. More recently, the virtually unlimited supply of growth hormone produced using recombinant DNA technology has lead to several other applications to human and animal populations.

Human growth hormone is commonly used to treat children of pathologically short stature. There is concern that this practice will be extended to treatment of essentially normal children - so called "enhancement therapy" or growth hormone on demand. Similarly, growth hormone has been used by some to enhance atheletic performance. Although growth hormone therapy is generally safe, it is not as safe as no therapy and does entail unpredictable health risks. Parents that request growth hormone therapy for children of essentially-normal stature are clearly misguided.

link removed

It's a GREAT article as it discusses what growth hormone is, it's uses, and the risks of using it as an exogenous therapy.

For one your testicles will shrink due to lack of natural production of testosterone. You will more than likely develop sever to moderate acne and you breasts will resemble a 13 year old girl as you develop Gynecomastia which can be very embarrassing and painful. Also you can expect hair loss and increase your chances for many forms of cancer. Other than that, not much!

RC

Well to respond to this i have a really healthy diet and exercise is an important part of my life. I understand that you get alot of whining people in this world that like being a victim, but when i have a problem i look for solutions in all areas of my life. I came here to see if anyone could be helpful because this issue has become a problem not based on something in my head but how people react to me. With regard to weight training, it makes me feel ill and always has- i understand the implications it has relating to bone density and this has been noted.

I have sought proffessional help, but it always helps to go to the doctor with some ammunition, because nhs doctors are not paid to care.

However i have always had sleeping difficulties, its common in my family.

Coming from someone who taken steroids, dont do it. Yuo would get results but aoart from the long term effects (heart problems, infertility etc ), you will lost most of/all the gains youve achieved once you stop takinf the steroids, you see the bulk you achieve is mainly water, which lokks good but disappears over time.

i would recommend joina a gym let a trainer advise you what excercises to do take your time its not about how much you can lift!

Start a healthy diet, eat no less then 3000 good calories per day, and you will bulk up! Itll take a few months but it will happen.

Ive been doing this for about 12 months (since takling steroids for about 6 weeks only) and the healthy natural option is miles better! Ive gone from 12 stone (im 6'1") to 14 stone and look much fitter.

Try http://www.maximuscle.co.uk,

here you canm for free plan trining routines, healthy diets and purchase supplements (these are not steroids and are approved by the sporting bodies and are used widely by athletes etc etc)

Good luck with it.

• 7 years later...

If you are concerned about your development, hormone replacement therapy may work but probably not the one you are thinking of. Testosterone DOES control male characteristics, much as voice, muscle mass, genitalia, etc. but it sounds to me like you may have more of a human growth hormone deficiency (see link removed HGH is what helps your body grow and repair. The only thing is, starting growth hormone supplementation this late in life may not help you with actually growing taller or in other puberty ways. It can help you put on muscle though. My best suggestion would be to have your blood work done for a full hormone panel and have a physician review it to see if you are deficient in any of the hormones that control growth. From here, they can come up with a detailed plan to correct your issues. Hope this is helpful for you!

Hello Cbert, I know this is not about bodybuilding and my personal opinion about your subject is to visit a doctor and he will tell you what options you have. Some of them could be risky or expensive but its a choice you have to make.

I knew a guy who was a practising doctor and it was pretty regular to inject testosterone or human growth hormone to patients who lacked either one of those 2.

Some of their patients were 50+ years old and with proper treatment they had no side effects on their health.

None of us on this forum is a doctor so noone can give you a correct answer.

I am a small guy myself, 172cm at the age of 24 ( as of next week ). I have pretty small bones and my face looks like a 20 year old at best.

But I accepted my height, my baby-face and my lack of facial hair, I do workout a lot , I have worked on other aspects of my personality/life(hobbies,work,interests etc). Embrace who you are and work with what you have been given.

Archived