What's X-affair partner's motive?????

Since ending my affair, I am doing good. Yes I still struggle, tear up and hurt from the whole thing but I really, think in time I will be okay. Things at home are good too. The x-affair partner, for whatever reason still will try and contact me, almost like he is wanting me to know that he is still out there. He says he still loves me, and will call me just to hear my voice on the phone, calls my cell phone ,which I do not answer. Not sure if he is doing this to prevent me from completely moving on without him in my life, almost like he has a fear of that or something... or is this his way of holding onto hope that I'll be back one day. Hanging up on him is easy now and each time I do it I feel like I am gaining control of my life again.

Thanks

Its probably ego related, there is no high like having your cake and eating too, now that you've gotten out, x-partner needs you to regain that feeling of superiority but fails to realize that they need you more than you need them. This is pure assumption and maybe foolishness but thats just my opinion.