Ideas for Hobbies, Interests etc.

mgirl

Hi there,

I know this is not your usual emergency post, but i am trying to gather ideas for hobbies, groups, or interests that i can develop. Currently, my interests are:

social and cultural issues

films and media

politics (to a certain degree)

people

behaviour

some artistic endeavours (to a certain degree)

I am not really interested in anything competitive, like joining a baskball team, but am open to suggestions, regardless of how 'outrageous' they may seem!

Thanks in advance,

m

Try going to the city hall (if there are several cities close by, go to all of them) and pick up programs, both for the city and ones offered by colleges and schools.

There's lots of great stuff. In the art department alone, my local places are offering:

Metalworking

Various ceramics, both throwing and handbuilding

Various drawing and painting classes

Calligraphy

Jewellry making

Mosaic tables/mirrors

Knitting

Wood Carving

etc...

Its a great place to start, but better sign up soon. It seems like classes generally start beginning/mid September!

I was doing that, but pulled a muscle in my back and it's sore sore sore!

Ha! I say the same thing! Just because you pull a muscle does not mean you need to drop the hobby.

Heck, if you are into video games, if your keyboard breaks, do you say "I was doing that whole playing games thing.. but my keyboard broke and... well.. it just doesn't work..."

Don't make excuses... if you don't want to lift weights... say you don't like that... it's cool.

I was doing that, but pulled a muscle in my back and it's sore sore sore!

That's not a good enough reason to skip weights. When I started I injured some of my fingers (out of everything else that could have gone wrong!) pretty badly and I could barely move them.

Just keep going!

BTW.. Photography sounds right up your alley...

Yeah, i like photography. Thanks for all your replies!

I think i am going to join a Toastmasters club and am going to look around for a political/social discussion group as that is what i would really like to do.

Gardening sounds like fun but unfortunately, right now, i have no space for a garden... Umph

Art classes sound like fun, but i am not sure what i want to do yet.

it's fairly important when you start out with weight lifting to do extremely light weights because a) you need to practice perfect form, b) you need to get your muscles use to the workout motion (i think they call it "muscle memory").

i agree that once you do it often, it very much becomes a habit that you don't want to miss.

Toastmasters clubs are great. A lot of networking opportunities in there too.

Ah cool NJRon... this is the one that rings the most true to me at the moment. Apart from a social and/or political discussion group.

Thanks for the info now-better. I do intend on resuming some form of exercise, but right now, i am having time out!

acting, if there is a community college around that teaches film there is guaranteed some student films in need of actors, you don't have to be great and you are basically working for fun and sometimes pizza, but it's a great way to get into "the scene" and it's a bunch of fun.

Check around at the community colleges and see if they teach it, if so find out how you can get your contact info to the class.

Toastmasters is great, I am involved in a local club. Also check out Lions Club, Rotary Club, Business Networking International (if you want to promote your business), Chamber of Commerce.

Community colleges always have adult education classes.

Martial arts classes, yoga classes, spin classes, weight lifting classes.

Volunteer in community, retirement homes, hospitals, childrens centers.

Book discussion groups, political groups.

check out link removed and look under communtiy activities (if available in your area)

social and cultural issues

films and media

politics (to a certain degree)

people

behaviour

some artistic endeavours (to a certain degree)

What kind of hobbies involve "people", "behaviour" and "social and cultural issues"? You could become a psychologist, I suppose. All the things you listed are boring. A few of them might make for some philosophical chat and BSing, but that's it. They aren't really hobbies. I have one suggestion. Get physical. Go outdoors. Tell me what type of area you live in (ocean, desert, mountain) and I'll give you as many ideas as you can handle. Drop that overpriced apple martini, ditch that next art showing at the gallery, and pick up a surfboard, or go rappelling, or ride a horse. If you keep running in the social circles you are in, you will meet boring, stuffy, pompous people. I'm sure a few are exciting, but branch out a little bit.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think learning an instrunment and volunteering at an animal shelter sound good.

Luck of the irish, you are funny! I know what you mean about all those pompous people, i hope i am not one of those. Unfortunately, i am not into high-risk or fast activities. I am more of a thinker. But i do like to exercise a bit, go walking, do yoga and pilates. I am going to re-invigorate my interest in exercise, but unfortunately, it won't involve anymore than going to the gym. I am so boring!

I used to do all those things like play basket ball and ride horses, but i am over it. Give me a long, detailed conversation any day