Want to leave, but they need me!

I work in the pharmacy section of a small hospital. It's just me and my boss in that department at the moment. I hate my job and she constantly puts me down but I can't leave because she has no one else to cover for me. I get praised by everyone else who works there, but the moment she steps foot in the room, my self esteem plummits. I want to find a new job but I have a conscience and I don't want to leave on bad terms.

I would have no problem finding another job because I have quite a few skills.

What should I do? Also, What is the average pay per hour in the united states for a 19 year old part time worker? I want to decide whether it's worth staying just for the money.

start looking for a job. If you find something that suits you, you can either move on, or tell them you're going to leave, and tell them honestly why & If they want to keep you around, they will offer you some more money, and maybe attitudes will change...then you can decide whether to stay or not.

It's not your responsibility to find someone to fill your shoes when you leave. That's their problem.

My dad has always told me "even though you might be working for a company, you are always working for yourself"

Start by making a resume, sending it around and getting some interviews. At the interview they will usually bring up the typical salary for that position. You do not have to stay at a job where you are miserable simply because they are short staffed. You are only obligated to give adequate notice (2 weeks is typical- 3 is better) when you are prepared to leave.

What do you mean that you don't want to leave because you have a conscience and don't want to leave on bad terms?

Leaving a job doesn't have to be on bad terms. Look around, find something, give two-weeks if possible and move on. Don't stick in a job you hate if you can easily find a better one. You have no obligation to stay or to fill your position... that's their problem and is not a poor reflection on you.

You are not a slave and are not required to keep working somewhere because your employer or boss needs you. You can and should find a new job. Just once you do, give your current employer some notice time so they can replace you.

As long as you give adequate notice and are professional about it, you are not leaving on "bad terms".

You should not stick around in a job that makes you miserable. Honey you are 19 and I assume no dependents either....you have a whole life ahead of you! Look for something that is more positive and enjoyable for you!

Get your resume in order, and send it out...actually take it in if you can in person. Get another job before you leave this one for sure!

As for average wages...depends on the industry, the company, your experience, and so on.

I am currently looking for PT now too as my last day at my FT job is today....I start school in a week and I am panicking about finding something! It has been a while since I looked for PT work....I think I am turning people off as I am "overqualified" though I express I AM a returning student! One guy wanted to hire me as a supervisor the other day..which I can't do as I am going back to school! Gah.

What do you mean that you don't want to leave because you have a conscience and don't want to leave on bad terms?

Leaving a job doesn't have to be on bad terms. Look around, find something, give two-weeks if possible and move on. Don't stick in a job you hate if you can easily find a better one. You have no obligation to stay or to fill your position... that's their problem and is not a poor reflection on you.

I say that because they are desperately short staffed at the moment. I would feel awful to leave when I know they need me. I know you say not to but I really do feel obligated.

I know if I left then I would not get a good reference either.

Well... you are 19 and there will be plenty of jobs. If you can get a job without a letter of reference from them, then go for it. It is their responsibility to run the business... and it is a business. If they are short staffed, it is their problem, not yours.

I can understand that feeling of obligation. In the end though, I feel your sense of obligation would be better directed toward *your* well being.

Believe me....you are replaceable. Hate to say it, but they can find someone if they really want too. Maybe the reason they are short staffed is they don't NEED anyone else right now, but if you left, they would be actively looking.

I work in an office of two...so we are very short staffed and I have a lot of responsibilities. I gave 6 weeks notice and am now training the woman whom is starting my position next week. No bad terms at all as I showed I was willing to help out with a new person, and was very professional about giving plenty of notice, and so on.

Believe me....you are replaceable. Hate to say it, but they can find someone if they really want too. Maybe the reason they are short staffed is they don't NEED anyone else right now, but if you left, they would be actively looking.

I work in an office of two...so we are very short staffed and I have a lot of responsibilities. I gave 6 weeks notice and am now training the woman whom is starting my position next week. No bad terms at all as I showed I was willing to help out with a new person, and was very professional about giving plenty of notice, and so on.

Maybe that would be a good way to do it. Give them a month or so notice. They are short staffed because everyone is quitting. Employees are treated poorly and the place is poorly managed.

This is one of those times I wish I could think about me and me only.

They are short staffed because everyone is quitting. Employees are treated poorly and the place is poorly managed.

Umm... then they are doing it to themselves becaus ethey suck. You have no obligation to help them. To work your butt off so that they can continue to treat people poorly.

Maybe that would be a good way to do it. Give them a month or so notice. They are short staffed because everyone is quitting. Employees are treated poorly and the place is poorly managed.

I know how hard it is to leave, I have felt the same way, and my sister is going through the same thing.

But you have to do what is in your best interests in the long run. They sure aren't looking out for you if they treat people poorly and have bad management skills!

They should not be surprised people are leaving if it such an unhealthy environment! They kinda deserve what they get, if that is how they treat staff.....