I feel like I don't have a personality.

rekrapshyguy

I've got a problem. I feel like I don't have a personality. I mean, sure I'm smart, nice, and have good morals. But, that's just about it. Some could say that I have a dry sense of humor, but if I do, it only works by chance or accident... it isn't very reliable at all. When I actually try and apply my funniness towards a conversation, it usually falls on deaf ears.

Some people can watch guys like Dane Cook and Robin Williams, or shows like Family Guy or South Park, and use material from these comedians and shows to make people laugh. But me, I can't do that. I mean sure, when I watch this stuff, I laugh my * * * off, but for some reason, I can NEVER remember lines and jokes. NEVER. My memory isn't much better than a ninety-year-old's when it comes to this.

Some people can just make stuff up out of thin air and fill a whole room with laughter. But me? No… I suck at making up jokes. The only reason people would be laughing would be because the jokes were so stupid.

Another problem… I don't seem to have any attention-grabbing talents. I mean, sure I can write when I get inspired by something, or maybe I'm half-decent at drawing sometimes, but, how the heck is that gona compete for attention against things like being able to play in a band or being a star athlete? I mean come on… let's be practical here.

Bottom line is this: If you want to be an attention grabber, you need to have an attention grabbing personality and/or an attention grabbing talent. If not, you will just be skimmed over.

At least that's what I've observed.

Let me ask you, Are you happy?

If a person is happy they are the best they can be. They get joy out of life and thats how you build a great personality. You got to watch movies, and find out what's funny, hang out with friends, think of jokes or come backs. You just have to work on it, that's all anyone can tell you. We all wonder if our personality is good enough, don't even worry about it.

Just live your life and have goals. That way you can talk about your future with a passion, and personality is amplified by passion.

I'm definitely not the happiest guy in the world, but I'd suppose I'd say I'm happy. I mean, sometimes I feel depressed and/or discouraged because I feel left out, among other things, but I don't wallow in my despair; I try and do whatever I can to improve and become better. I just wish I had a bolder flavor, was more vibrant, more illuminating, more captivating. I'll try my best to work on being funny, but I just wish there were a shortcut. Thanks for the help.

I feel your pain actually. It seems like my thoughts are clouded when under pressure. It also seems like I'm easily under pressure. So when out at a party or a club, i find myself empty in the mind and not socializing. It's so frustrating because my girlfriend is the exact opposite and she's talking her a## off and is a riot. I'm not looking to be the center of attention, I'm just looking to have intelligent input. I've always been shy and perhaps more anxious than others but damn, no matter how much I try to tell myself to get over it, no big deal, everyone feels the exact same way, it doesn't seem to help. I think it really comes down to not thinking about it or better yet, not thinking about myself in these situations but again that's more difficult said than done.

Well, actually to develop a personality only takes doing things you like.

Somethings may seem unpleasant at first but, all you have to be is yourself.

If you don't think jokes then you must not force yourself thinking ones.

Just simply said don't let social expectations get up your head. What society expects is sometimes unrealistic or just stupid thinking. So if you feel like you have to have humor, think twice, is this you or some-else forcing this idea.

I'm quite a funny person and can take the central role if I choose to from time to time and am pretty good at making people laugh. However, I know when to stop.

Also, as much as it's nice to be this person, sometimes I like to be quiet and just have serious conversation and not be funny. Sometimes, the last thing I want to do is make witty jokes - so don't think that just cause you can't be funny doesn't mean that people don't want to talk to you.

I know one person who has no other aspect to their personality other than the loud, brash, arrogant comedian. Sure, he can be funny from time to time, but overall he's a bit of a prat. He doesn't know how to have a serious conversation.

Take pride in who you are and have fun developing into the person you want to be.

Just because you are cracking side splitting jokes like TV sitcoms or professional stand up comics, does not mean you do not have a personality!

Just in case, here is the definition of "personality":

the sum total of the physical, mental, emotional, and social characteristics of an individual.

The organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of an individual

So you are smart, quiet, have strong integrity and a dry sense of humor. That can be quite appealing. Not everyone likes a loud, outspoken, obnoxious person who draws attention to themselves.

I am like that as well at times.. especially when you feel like you have to entertain someone. It sucks. But you just to suck it up, think really hard, and something will come out. Think of a event that happened to you that day or another. Get really into it, embelish it alittle, and be witty, and it will make people laugh.

• 5 years later...
I've got a problem. I feel like I don't have a personality. I mean, sure I'm smart, nice, and have good morals. But, that's just about it. Some could say that I have a dry sense of humor, but if I do, it only works by chance or accident... it isn't very reliable at all. When I actually try and apply my funniness towards a conversation, it usually falls on deaf ears.

Crazy, I couldn't have described myself better if I tried. I have some friendly, but I always feel disconnected. When I'm alone I want to be with someone, but when I'm with people my mind is completely blank and I feel distant. My brain is like the Little Train That Could. It tries sooooo hard to think of something to say, but I'm always at a loss. Maybe several hours later I'll think of something, but by then the moment is past and calling someone would just be pathetic. It's really sad lol all I can do is smile though; I certain do alot of smiling that's for sure. I've noticed that the older I get the more I smile and laugh. I figure if I can convince myself, maybe I'll convince someone else. If I keep this up I'm going to be a really popular, smiling old man. I'll hear all the time, "Why are you single? You're such a happy and an amazing person."

Archived