Oral sex... and protection?

n83

Most people (I hope) use protection when having sex. But what about oral sex?? I have to say honestly that I have never used protection when having oral sex. What exactly are you supposed to do, go down on a flavored condom?? That was not a sarcastic question, I'm quite serious, I have no idea how you even have protected oral sex. What about if a guy is going down on a girl, what are you supposed to do then? How many of you actually use protection when having oral sex? BE HONEST!!!!!!!!!

I never used protection when giving oral, and I went down on pretty much any girl I was with. It's my aphrodisiac if you like. Sometimes used condoms when receiving.

It is less likely to contract STI during oral than intercourse. However, it is possible and cases were reported. HSV can easily? be oraly transmitted also by kissing.

For men, wear condoms, for women femidons (spelling? - never seen in practice) or cling wrap.

Well I would say as long as their are no open soars your fine. It is probably just as dangerous as deep open mouth kissing, but i am not a dr so im certainly not someone to say for sure. If you are that afraid, then I would suggest not doing anything with someone. Either that or get to know the person better, get checked out by a doc and well , then go at it all you want.

For men, wear condoms, for women femidons (spelling? - never seen in practice) or cling wrap.

cling wrap is not an appropriate method of preventing STDs. The microscopic pores are large enough to let viruses and bacteria pass through.

more appropriate is a dental dam.

So do most people use protection for oral or not... and if not, why do you think you dont??

I think a majority of people don't use protection for oral sex ... and probably because they don't want to taste latex while pleasuring their partner. They prefer the direct skin on skin contact. They probably find it more intimate.

That's just what I think.

And I'm sure there are a portion of people who don't regard "oral" sex as "sex". I do though, it only has the word "sex" in it. You're getting it on with someone's private area.

I am inclined to think that not enough people use protection during oral sex, purely due to the misconception that it is "safe".

Personally, I haven't used protection during oral sex, but only for the reason that I am in a monogamous relationship and I know that my partner is disease/infection free.

I always understood that the danger wasn't to the person receiving the oral sex, because saliva doesn't carry many viruses or bacteria, but to the person giving it ingesting the other person's bodily fluids - that is to say, the person on the receiving end has no more danger than kissing the person.

However, a further issue are bleeding gums which increase the risk of transmission of a wide range of agents both ways.

Long, long ago before routine screening of donated blood, there was a case of HIV transmission between an elderly couple which only kissed. IIRC the wife had contracted HIV from a blood transfusion and passed it on to her husband. HIV is said to not be transmissible by saliva, so bleeding gums were implicated. Intense kissing perhaps?

Personally, I haven't used protection during oral sex, but only for the reason that I am in a monogamous relationship and I know that my partner is disease/infection free.

See, I guess I don't understand the reasoning.. not to be all negative but what if you get cheated on? I mean, it happens all the time....

I am not one to throw stones though, I don't use protection for oral sex even though I am always scared about getting something.. what brought up this post was finding out that a friend of a friend has oral herpes that he got from going down on his gf

He has oral herpes I think.. I'm pretty sure that's what my friend told me. So I was interested in finding out if I was the only one not using proper protection for that..

gee if you can get herpes just from kissing someone ........

kinda makes you not want to do anything with anyone!!

People put their health at risk all the time when it comes to sex. That's why it's super important people know WHO they are sleeping with and if they have been tested for STDs. The last thing you want to be is like your friend with herpes.

Things happen, but I'd rather it happen after I know I've taken all the proper percautions rather than if I took NO precautions because then it would be my own fault for being ignorant that nothing would happen to me.

See, I guess I don't understand the reasoning.. not to be all negative but what if you get cheated on? I mean, it happens all the time....

I am not one to throw stones though, I don't use protection for oral sex even though I am always scared about getting something.. what brought up this post was finding out that a friend of a friend has oral herpes that he got from going down on his gf

I am going to respond since that is my statement that was quoted. The reason I am sexually active with my boyfriend is because I trust him, if I didn't I wouldn't be having sex with him. Yes I understand that it happens, and perhaps that I am naive, but we talk/ed about these things. I am only responding for my personally situation, I cannot speak for all the people who thought their partner was faithful and tragically found out otherwise.