What if you never found your soulmate?

I know there's someone out there for everyone. It's a matter of finding him/her. But what if you are one of the unlucky ones who never find your partner? There are ones who live life without that great love. If you knew beforehand that you would spend the rest of you life without your soulmate what would you do? Could you actually be happy or tolerate the remaining years of your life? Would you even contemplate suicide?

This is why it's silly to convince yourself that there is only one person out there for you.

I think there are many compatible people out there for everyone, and it takes two people to make a relationship work. You're not just going to meet this person and everything is magically going to fall into place because you were "meant to be". You meet people you like, you work at forming and building relationships, and then you work at keeping and mantaining them. Some work, some don't. If they don't, you move onto the next one.

The idea that there is *one* just never made sense to me. It requires an outlook that every single thing in the world is ordered and meant to happen at a certain time for a certain reason. While I am not against the idea that there is some order to the world or some plan for it...I just do not think that the world is that micromanaged.

To each their own, though, in terms of belief systems.

Perhaps you can explain to me why you are so sure there is only one out there?

With that belief system, I can see why you might have such a bleak outlook on your future. No one wants to live their entire life alone.

I believe that out of the billions of people out there that there must be more than one person you are compatible with. Many people lose their partners through death and remarry. I believe that some people are destined to spend their lives alone, not because they are ugly, unlucky or boring but because they have people right under their noses that they don't even notice.

Also, I can think of many people who have never married or been widowed young, who spent a rich and rewarding life without a partner. This may sound bleak but is it any worse than rushing headlong into an unsuitable relationship than spending years trying to get it to work or having a lifelong series of short and medium term relationships that never come to anything?

I finally allowed myself to consider that very same question just a couple months ago as I turned 32--what will I do if I never find someone I feel I could spend the rest of my life with? The horror!!!

And then I realized: I would be just fine. I have a job I like, some fun hobbies, and a great family and friends. And when I finally stop traveling so much for work, I am getting a dog. A dog would probably give me more love than some of the boyfriends I've had have given me! And you don't really have to compromise with the dog on how to spend the money, decorate your house, where to go on vacation...

no soulmates!--there are more than one out there whom you feel you are comfortable and compatible with.

As you said its a matter of either staying single, sittin at home, eating chocalate chip cookies listenin to some backstreet boys or gettin your ahem out there and make an effort find the right person for you. lol