Today is my last day...new job next week

So I've been here at my current position for just over 2 years. It has been my first "real" job that I got after graduating college. Well, this is my last day and on Monday I start at my new position. It pays a lot more, and the job is a lot better, but I also think a lot more will be expected of me.

I have to admit, I am a little nervous about it. I guess I feel confident in myself but at the same time have the nervousness that I won't be as knowledgeable or as skilled as they expect.

Anyone else ever experience this early in their careers? How'd it work out?

Yes, with my current job. I worked at a bank before becoming a researcher at uni, and of course this is heavier, and people tend to have very high expectations. Keep in mind that they hired you because 1. you had a good letter 2. you had a good first talk. 3. probably a good second talk, etc.

I still feel nervous sometimes. Presentations, publications, how people regard my research, etc. I think the best way is to realize that the ones who hired you ALL were at the same place as you are now, earlier in their careers.

Congrats on the job and have a little faith in yourself!

Ilse

Thanks for your advice. I think with me, I feel very confident I can figure out/learn how to do pretty much anything. I'm sure if there is anything I don't know, I'll get to know it real quick. I guess I more just worried about looking like I have no clue the first few weeks on the job.

In my current job, for a while now, I've maxed out my potential. I've learned to do everything so much faster, that there is a ton of downtime now...which I hate. So because I'm basically not working a lot...it worries me that my current position hasnt prepared me enough for the move up.

hockeyboy,

I've heard that one of the ways to really succeed is tell people, yes I can do that, even if you don't know how. And right after you say it, you figure out how to get it done. If you are in a little over your head, you will either sink or swim. I think you'll swim.

Good luck.

hockeyboy,

I've heard that one of the ways to really succeed is tell people, yes I can do that, even if you don't know how. And right after you say it, you figure out how to get it done. If you are in a little over your head, you will either sink or swim. I think you'll swim.

Good luck.

I guess this is true. I work in purchasing and planning, but when i went on the interview for this current job they asked me if i had any html/website skills because they needed someone to run their site. I had ZERO experience but for some reason (maybe nervous?) i opened my big mouth and said i could do it. well....long story short, I figured it out.

It's not as blatent this time with my new postion, but I feel like I'll be doing the same thing. I believe I'll "swim" as well...but obviously I'm just a little nervous about it.

i think it's always scary to start work at a new place where you have to pretty much prove yourself to everyone. i've pretty much gotten 3 real jobs since i left school (1 while i was in grad school). i think things that have led me to be successful are to a) be friendly (very natural for me), b) offer to help people out (something i enjoy doing), c) prove yourself by taking on challenges (this makes you look very good in front of your managers, but i have found in previous positions that your coworkers might get jealous). i think these 3 keys have led me to be well-liked by my managers everywhere i've gone and as a result has led to higher pay increases and better challenges/more responsibility.

one of things that you need to decide when you start this position (this is better to do before, but difficult) is how YOU like the new position. i worked at a bank (in one of those skyscrapers in downtown Los Angeles) for 3 months and realized that it just wasn't the place for me. backstabbing colleagues, superficial environment, no sense of organization, a job without meaning or challenge, my boss that recruited me getting fired... things like that just really turned me off and as a result, i resigned. i think the initial part of the job is not just them getting a feel for you, but also how you feel for the company.