How to write a letter of resignation.

I have just accepted a position with another company. I will save $150 a week in gas expenses. Not to mention my 3 hours spent coming and going to work will now be a half hour total.

My current employer requires that we give a 2 week written notice. I am giving the 2 week notice it would be wrong not to. My problem however is how to write it that you are leaving.

So how would you write a letter of reisignation?

I'd not just write the letter, but announce that you are leaving in a personal conversation with the HR management or you boss. Then, the letter of resignation is a mere formality because they have to have your signature for it and a formal document. Then you can also refer to the conversation:

L.S.,

In reference to our conversation on (date) I hereby confirm my resignation for my function as (fill in) at your company as from (date). I have accepted a job closer to where I live. I have enjoyed working here and wish you all the best for the future.

with kind regards,

(name).

Something to this extent?

Sorry, English is not my native language, you might want to look up some formal uses for these kinds of letters. I think link removed also has examplar letters for this situation.

Ilse

So how would you write a letter of reisignation?

I had to write one last year. All the advice on the internet said to keep it simple. You do NOT have to mention why you are resigning.

Here is my letter:

Dear xxxxxxx,

Please accept this as formal notice of my resignation from the position of xxxxxxyour positionxxxxxx at xxxxxxthe companyxxxxxx, effective January 11, 2005.

Respectfully, (or Yours truly, sincerely...etc...)

Your name goes here

hope this helps!

I have done a few of these

Actually, I just handed one in a couple weeks ago (though it was 6 weeks notice).

Write a letter, but hand it in in person in a short meeting with your supervisor/boss and let him know that this is your resignation letter, etc. You want to stay in their good books so they will be a reference in your future. Maybe even ask them for a general reference letter. The letter is for the FILE and Human Resources, but I think that talking to them is for them, you and for leaving on good terms.

Don't feel too bad about it, truly, employers are used to it and...as great as I am sure you are as a worker, you are also replaceable...it's a hassle for them, but they will move on

In my letters I tend to express that I really enoyed my time there, and all I learned, and that I hope I was also able to be an asset, and so on. However that due to so and so, I need to take this new opportunity. But this is also because I have always worked for smaller companies and gotten on good terms with my employers, so they always knew why I was leaving.

If you are not close, and it's a bigger place, just say something along lines of "Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from my position as______ effective as of _____. I have enjoyed working here and wish you and the company a great future". Or whatever. Sometimes I want to say "you suck, I am out of here"...but not advisable

If you are leaving for a competing company, they may not want you to serve the two weeks (though they will still pay you!). This is due to increased risks in security threats, and the highly sensitivity of client/company information. They do not want you sharing information or taking clients for example. Not every place is like this, but when I worked in financial services this was common. Here my boss was pleased I gave him 6 weeks notice and wants me to work my time..lol. But, I am leaving to go back to school so there is no threat there either anyway.

I agree with the others. Short, to the point, and non-personal. Don't burn any bridges, and say positive things about the experience there. Try not to introduce any negatives.

I also agree that a meeting in person with your immediate supervisor is generally the correct way to approach this. It can be very difficult, but I feel it is best to say the words before handing the written letter over. I personally feel notifying anyone other than your supervisor (or manager if your supervisor is not actually management) can be seen as a sign of disrespect.

Don't feel at all badly about making a job change. You're biggest concern is your own career. Cost and time savings aside, it's often quite helpful to change jobs every few years anyway.