Can a sense of humor be a bad thing????

Yvette84

Ok, to me a sense of humor on a guy in the sexiest thing ever......BUT what happens when it's "too much"? My BF has the best sense of humor ever, and it's my fav thing about him, and I love him to death. but when I try to talk about serious stuff, he'll joke it off alot of times.

He does have a serious side too, but when I say things sometimes and wait for a response, he'll make some stupid joke.....I dunno....it's like is this something I have to learn to accept seeing as how he is just a funny, joking guy?? Anyone else ever have this problem???

yeah, it can be too much, like you have said.

if you are trying to have a serious conversation, and he's acting like a monkey, then you are going to have problems.

In your shoes, I would make things more clear. If I were trying to talk to him about something serious, but he kept joking around, I'd be like, "ok, let's talk later when you are ready to be serious." and then I'd hang up the phone.

but, I don't know - that's just me.... maybe not the best way to go about this, but it might give him a strong message!

yeah, it can be too much, like you have said.

if you are trying to have a serious conversation, and he's acting like a monkey, then you are going to have problems.

In your shoes, I would make things more clear. If I were trying to talk to him about something serious, but he kept joking around, I'd be like, "ok, let's talk later when you are ready to be serious." and then I'd hang up the phone.

but, I don't know - that's just me.... maybe not the best way to go about this, but it might give him a strong message!

I've tried that sometimes, and he'll be like "fine, I can't joke?" or I thought you liked my sense of humor...do you want me to be all serious?" ugh...they just don't get it sometimes....

I love a sense of humour, but he needs to learn that there is a time and place for everything. Tell him that you do love his humour, but sometimes you do need to talk about something without him making you feel like he isn't taking it seriously. A little joke is okay, but if he's goofing off when you're trying to discuss something serious, it makes you feel like he is avoiding the topic or he doesn't care.

Yes, joking when you are trying to be serious is annoying and frustrating.

I love when people have a sense of humor. But they MUST know when it's time to be serious.

I would say to try to talk to him again about it. He obviously just doesn't understand what you mean. Next time you want to be serious, start off with "ok, I really need to talk to you and I would appreciate it if you didn't make a joke because of how I feel right now".

He might not understand it if you randomly say that you think he needs to be serious at times. Just try explaining to him that you need him to be serious at certain moments, like when you want to talk about serious stuff.

Ok, to me a sense of humor on a guy in the sexiest thing ever......BUT what happens when it's "too much"? My BF has the best sense of humor ever, and it's my fav thing about him, and I love him to death. but when I try to talk about serious stuff, he'll joke it off alot of times.

He does have a serious side too, but when I say things sometimes and wait for a response, he'll make some stupid joke.....I dunno....it's like is this something I have to learn to accept seeing as how he is just a funny, joking guy?? Anyone else ever have this problem???

Yes, I've had that problem too.

Anyway, You should keep in mind that a sense of humor, much like beauty, is strictly in the eye of the beholder.

Example: I've known guys that no one else thought was that funny, but I thought they really were. And vice versa!

I once dated this local radio station DJ, he was alwasy "On". Performing for his 'audience', you know. When we went out with my friends, he spent his time trying to impress them with his humor, wow them with his wit, it was just sooooo annoyyyinggg! Omg! I had no idea what his true personality was, or if there was even one! I just couldn't take it anymore, and dumped him.

Not to sound like Debbie Downer but if this "quirk" of his already bothers you. What do you think it will be like when he moves and is with you live and in person? I have found that guys with the "sense of humor" always have it and never let it go. It can be a little tiring when one is trying to be serious.

I'm the same way... humor turns me on. My boyfriend is HILARIOUS and I loooooove to laugh. I laugh about EVERYTHING it's ridiculous. I also try to talk to him about serious stuff... he also jokes around about it. But then when I tell him that I'm really serious, he'll tell me that he's just kidding and that I can't take life too seriously. Maybe sometimes I do, but he can also be serious as well.

Just tell him that you atleast want to be serious sometimes. He should understand that life isn't always about laughing.

• 2 weeks later...