_________ while sleeping

I have this problem of when I goto sleep, my mouth seem to open up a tad bit. Now in the first place, thats pretty much how I got braces and all that - having an open bite; I've had to goto the orthodontist, my parents eventually paying $5000 for it. I've had them for almost 4 years now.

Just yesterday, I got the top section of braces off, but even still I seem to sleep like that. I'm just afraid that an open bite will appear again and I'd be having braces for the rest of my life, let alone pay for all the stuff.

SO, how the heck am I supposed to sleep with mouth CLOSED so I won't have an eventual open bite?

Heya,

As far as I know an open bite is either hereditary or caused by your tongue pushing your teeth apart or thumb sucking, so just sleeping with your mouth open shouldn't change anything - but check with your orthodontist about that.

I don't know if you can do anything to sleep with your mouth closed: you probably do it because you breathe more easily that way. The only thing I can suggest is get used to breathing through your nose all the time during the day, and maybe you'll start to do it in your sleep as well... no guarantee though.

Did you get a retainer? If you wear the retainer, then your teeth shouldn't go back to the way they were before or anything. And.. why didn't you ask this to your orthodontist? If you're that concerned about your teeth, you might want to talk to him, he's way better qualified to give answers than anyone on this forum...