After Children?

karen95

May i ask does a woman get "wider" after having a few children. i have one child, and i don't think it has made any difference to me (although i did not have sex for nearly 2 years after the birth so i would not know what it was like at the beginning and my baby was early so he was small!) but if a woman has a few children does she remain stretched or does the vagina go back to normal after a while.

hope this question is ok

Of course it's okay

Women can lose some elasticity permanently after MULTIPLE childbirths. But I mean multiple..generally for the most part you return to normal after some time after giving birth.

There will be some changes to the muscle after childbirth, but generally given recovery time you will regain tightness - more so if you practice your Kegels.

Also, if you have to an episiotomy, this may change the opening a bit, with scar tissue or shape. Some more recent studies have shown that it is better to actually let some tearing occur then to cut, as it seems to heal better and with less infection rates.

From

Also, if you have to an episiotomy, this may change the opening a bit, with scar tissue or shape. Some more recent studies have shown that it is better to actually let some tearing occur then to cut, as it seems to heal better and with less infection rates.

An episiotomy definitely makes it a harder recovery. Although it is used to prevent tearing- sometimes a woman will still tear even is an episiotomy is performed, only the tear will be worse because of it. Episiotomies are becoming less common (and I think thats' a good thing ). In many ways, they have been used to rush births and make it quicker and easier for the doctor to get the baby out. Unless there's fetal distress which requires a big rush- then episiotomy can be avoided. In many cases- the incision for an episiotomy is deeper then what a natural tear would be. Many good doctors will honor your wish to not have an episiotomy, if you tell them ahead of time. Even though episiotomies will not make you necessarily "wider" (as you do get stitched up after) they do alter your body in the ways RayKay stated. I think if you plan to have mutliple births-and you don't want an episiotomy- then it's a good idea to make your doctor aware of that. Some women just don't realize that they even have a choice- but you can be an active planner in birth now, and request as little or as many interventions to make it a better experience for you/your bodyand your child.

BellaDonna