Hi guys,

Since about saturday afternoon my leg muscles, particularly my calves, have been sore, and I can't fgure out the reason why. I usually walk about 1.5 miles each way to work and back every day, and have been doing so for the past two months, so i like to think my legs are in pretty good shape. I don't think I've changed anything recently, with the exception of my diet slightly (a result of getting to the end of the month and waiting for the next paycheck). Anybody experience this before? Anyone know of a good treatment for sore muscles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mtastic

A nice hot bath does the trick for me!

Do you do stretching exercises before you walk? This might solve the problem.

Have you ever tried standing with your toes on the edge of a step or stair and lowering your heels and then tightening them again. This usually helps to stretch the calf muscles.

I hope I've helped.

For me- what works best to relieve sore muscles is a hot shower or bath followed by stretching. For me, the soreness is the direct result of working out. But if there seems to be no apparent reason for the soreness and it persists for more than a week- you should seek medical attention. Better safe than sorry.

BellaDonna

Are you hydrated?

Are you stretching regularly?

As Jetta said, I would also consult a doctor - if you do a lot of sitting, or flying, you are at higher risk for blood clots in your legs...which can lead to them ending up in your lungs or brain (which is bad by the way!).

If you have a desk job, get up every hour or so and stretch a bit.

Do you do any other exercises? Despite the walking, your body may need more higher impact things also to build and strengthen bone and muscle.

I am going to assume you are too old for growth spurts - but they often cause leg pain/soreness too.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I hadn't thought of dehydration, that is most likely the case, I guess I haven't been drinking quite as much fluids as usual. I doubt its blood clots at the moment, as the soreness is present in both legs, and i'd think a blood clot would be much more localized soreness. I don't really do any other exercise apart from walking, however despite having a desk job I'm pretty active throughout the day. If this persists, I'll go to a doctor and get it checked out.

Thanks again,

mtastic

I actually had this same problem a few months ago. I identified it as the way I was sitting at my computer those days, with one leg tucked. Now that I sit more normally, it's a lot better. Try adjusting your position, but like Jetta said, it can also be dehydration or lack of vitamins.

good luck

I actually had this same problem a few months ago. I identified it as the way I was sitting at my computer those days, with one leg tucked. Now that I sit more normally, it's a lot better. Try adjusting your position, but like Jetta said, it can also be dehydration or lack of vitamins.

good luck

Good point...it could also be the chair. A lot of desk chairs cut off circulation at the hamstring, which causes your legs to go "dead" and have less bloodflow.