Confusing Situation

Hi. I need to get this out, because I am very confused and dont have a lot of answers. Im not quite sure what made me think of it, but when I was about 10 something happened with my dad. But Im not sure if it is like real abuse, because he didnt touch me or tell me to do anything. So I went to a therapist. She told me this was sexual abuse, but she said that I was old enough to know it was wrong, so it must have happened before when I was much younger. However, I dont remember anything. Is it possible to completely block out a memory? Is this common for those who experience abuse, and how long does it take you to remember it again? Also, I dont know what to do because I have to see them. I dont understand how I could have seen them so many times before and been fine, and not have remembered. What do you do if it is a family member and you have to see them? Has anyone experienced seeing and talking with a family member, and then remembering something like this? I am so confused. any advice would help thanx.

I know what you're going through. I went through the same thing. I was continually raped by my sister when i was about 8 up until 11 or 12 and then I was almost raped by a guy that was in my class at school. I blocked out what happened with my sister, but when I was almost raped by the guy I started to remember. I then confronted her and told her that I remembered and that was when she tried to kill me, many times.

It is very common for victims of sexual assult and abuse to block out the memory to make coping easier, but really all it does it make things harder in life, because when you remember it makes things very difficult.

To totally remember again it can take a lot of time. Years sometimes. It may not be seeing the family memeber that makes you remember, but something happening that was similar to the situation you were in when it did occur.

I'm not an expert on this so please don't quote me, but I think that maybe hypnosis or something similar could help you remember if you're willing.

Good luck

Sappho...

I had a similar situation when i was 6 with my older step brother who was 13 at the time...it was all just a game of "truth or dare" so i didnt know any better. i didnt realize that he had taken advantage of me sexually until i was 14 and still today i am only able to remember a few visions and very minor details but i cannot remember everything. i too have a "memory block" and i am not sure when i will be able to overcome it. i am not an expert on this so please dont quote me...i am just sharing a similar experience and i hope my story has helped you.

good luck and god bless