13 year age difference... too big of a number?

I've read a few posts about this subject on the forum...

I'm 21, and very mature for my age. I was forced to grow up at an early age of 16, so I feel that i'm most experienced with situations , and secure about what I want in life. I met this 34 year old , who is absolutly amazing.. We enjoy spending time with eachother, and have a great time...

We both understand the age gap, and we are both aware of it...

So please, tell me... Where is the problem??

There isn't one if you are sure that you will be happy together. Just be sure that you are independent, know what you want in your life (other than a relationship with him) and are mature enough to handle any problems that do arise.

There isn't one if you are sure that you will be happy together. Just be sure that you are independent, know what you want in your life (other than a relationship with him) and are mature enough to handle any problems that do arise

which will certainly arise and will be too great for one or both of you to handle, at which point you will break up... sad but true. sorry.

There isn't one if you are sure that you will be happy together. Just be sure that you are independent, know what you want in your life (other than a relationship with him) and are mature enough to handle any problems that do arise

which will certainly arise and will be too great for one or both of you to handle, at which point you will break up... sad but true. sorry.

My sister in law married a man 19 years older than her when she was 21 - still married 35 years later.

Try not to think that way. You never know the potential of a relationship and it can only hurt to doom it from the start. Be hopeful, happy. Enjoy the relationship and believe that it will work. If you don't, it won't.

i know of many relationships with large age gaps b/w partners that have been (and still are) successful and lasting. are you having doubts? if so, try and get to the heart of them: if you are, is it really the age difference you're doubting? or is it something else that is simply masquerading as such? follow your deepest instincts, and don't be afraid to confront your qualms. chances are, it'll only make your relationship more intimate and secure. if it doesn't for some reason and you realize that things with him just don't feel comfortable/ like they're going to work out, then you'll move on to find someone who does. you have nothing to lose; if you love someone and both of you are adults (which you are), then i don't think age matters unless you decide it does. besides, i've noticed that the older you get, the less age differences matter, since they become more easily overlooked. take care and have faith in yourself!!!

well, Everyone makes a good point... And to answer youcan'tliveinthewoods's question... No, i'm not having any doubts... Neither of us are, as a matter of fact.

We take it one day at a time, and whatever situations and problems come up, we deal with it.

Who says that love, or even lust, have to have an age on it. I believe that if you are old enough to make your own decisions, and take responsibility for whatever happens, and be aware of the ups and downs, then i say "go for it!" Thanks for the posts everyone !!!

I have been dating a man who is 25 years oldr than me for about a year now and we are as happy as ever. This are still going great between us. I say, keep giving it a chance. It may or may not work out, but that is the same in all relationships reguardless of age.

the only problem I've experienced is that the younger person is less mature and doesn't deal with things as well due to limited life experience, it can be hard on the other person

By the sounds of it you are way more mature for your age and why not I have been dating a 25 year old and I'm 39

Don't concern yourself too much about it as in the end it's how you both feel about each other is important, not what others think

My wife and I are 15 years different. I've never seen it as a problem and don't sense she does either. Often I act younger than her anyway and I'm definitely in better health. Some things come up that we both find amusing though. Like talking about high school graduation and telling her she was only in diapers at the time. Or her going to her 10 year reunion when I'm headed to my 25th. If stuff like that bothers you, including when you are around other people, it probably will get worse. If not, you shouldn't have a problem. But you may also want to consider how long the males in her family normally live as well.

My dad married a woman 13 years his junior. When they met, he was 36, she was 23. They've been married for 9 years now, still very happy.

If you were an immature 21 (like most 21-year-olds are nowadays, let's face it) then it'd be a problem. But if y'all can handle the age difference and the subsequent taboos then you'll be fine.

Good luck - I hope you find much happiness in life!

MissDez... I have been in a couple relationships with someone several years my senior.... the one problem i have found is that the older man starts to think about what might be "good for you" ie- she will eventually want a younger man.... i should just let her... if i leave her now, it will help her in the long run. it is a phase some older men go through... it will take a lot of confidence boosting on your part to get him to feel secure.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that is important is what is in your head and how much that matters to you: in other words, be aware that many people in the world will have issues with relationships that have substantial age gaps in them, even if they themselves are not involved with the relationship ... people assume a lot, and they will make judgments about you whether you like it or not. SO a key to this is being able to say "I don't care what other people think" ... if you can't do that, then this will be very hard because you will always be looking over your shoulder at other folks who will not approve of your relationship, for whatever reason they may have. That, to me, is the biggest issue and risk for these kinds of relationships.

I have to say I myself was skeptical of these kinds of relationships until I fell in love with someone who was 16 years younger than me. I worried about the age difference a bit at first, but as we got to know each other better and the love bloomed into its fullness, it didn't matter much to me anymore, and I just decided to "go with it" ... others may not approve, but I love him, and I don't really care. But not everyone has that same mentality, so you kind of have to have that degree of self-assurance, I think, in these kinds of relationships.

I dont see a problem with it. I dated a guy for 2 years though that did begin to resent the fact that I was 11 years younger, and he started blaming things on me being so young. It just simply wasn 't true...

if you two are into each other, and you get along, then the age difference will work itself out.

But, if at any time he starts saying things like, "oh, you are too young to understand" then get out. It will only start to hurt your self esteem in the end, and make you try to be someone you are not

• 5 months later...