hi there.

about 4 years ago i was diagnosed w/ hsv1 in the genital area. i have not had an outbreak since the first, nor shown any symptoms of one.

i have recently begun a non sexual relationship wiht someone, although we have done oral sex to each other.

tonight however, i noticed several itchy reddish pimply bumps near my anus (a few inches above it) and this has never happened to me before. even my hsv1 was never in that area. this boy that i'm seeing has not been in that area, perhaps his hands have, it's just around the edge of my buttocks.

it is very hot and humid where i live and i am wondering if this is just a heat rash adn how to make it go away. also, i'm wondering how i could keep making out with this guy and not have him notice this, it is quite embarrassing. i am not going to have sex with him though.

Well, for starters, oral sex is "sexual," but you are asking about the bumps. It could just be a heat rash. Does it itch? Maybe give it a couple days and see if it goes away on its own. If it gets worse though or doesn't go away, see your doctor.

P.S. If you aren't doing anything sexual your bf won't see.

hah, i know, it's just they feel like little pimples and they are itchy. i'm just worried he might grab my butt and think i have something going on down there when i don't, something that's worse than it is. this isn't someone who i'm going to be in a long term relationship with, so i don't feel the need to come clean about my whole sexual history since i'm not putting him at risk.

I got ya! If they itch, I'd probably say heat rash or maybe even contact dermititis. Have you tried a hydrocortisone cream? You can go to your local pharmacy and they have TONS of choices. I sure hope you feel better! That's definitely not a fun place to have an itch!!

Non-sexual...? Oral sex...?

Don't assume that because you haven't had any outbreaks it is safe to practice oral sex and risk giving it to your boyfriend--I believe the HSV1 virus is more easily transmitted than HSV2. Did you tell your boyfriend you have genital herpes before you engaged in oral sex?

I assume that you didn't if you are hoping that he might not notice... That's not right.

Oral sex IS sexual....and you can still transmit HSV (even if it is currently "dormant") through oral.

Anyway, it may be heat rash if it is itchy, or it may be an allergic reaction to a new laundry detergent, soap, and so on as well. Because I cycle a lot, I get heat rash near my waisband on my cycling shorts fairly often in the summer as well as some other contact areas. It is itchy for 1 or 2 days but goes away quite fast, and I also use special anti-chafing creams when cycling which prevents chafing/heat rash/etc.

I would say if it is not seeming to disappear in a couple days, you better contact your OB/GYN and have them take a look at it. You can try putting a diaper rash cream (zinc oxide cream) on it as was recommended above, it works really well for that kind of thing. Hydrocortisone works on itching, but is not good to apply to genital area. Try a Chlor-Tripolyn/allergy med for skin itch too.

hah, i know, it's just they feel like little pimples and they are itchy. i'm just worried he might grab my butt and think i have something going on down there when i don't, something that's worse than it is. this isn't someone who i'm going to be in a long term relationship with, so i don't feel the need to come clean about my whole sexual history since i'm not putting him at risk.

Okay, this REALLY concerns me, and I just saw it. You ARE putting him at risk. There is a reason they say that when you sleep with someone you are sleeping with everyone they have slept with. HSV is still able to be transferred from person to person even without an outbreak, and with oral sex. You are putting yourself at risk as well if you do not know HIS history. Oral sex is sex, and IS risky.

I have to say I'm rather naive when it comes to STDs, but after reading a bit about HSV, I DEFINITELY agree with RayKay! You really should get checked by a doctor and let your guy know about your condition. It's not fair to put him at risk without full disclosure. That of course goes for you too, as you could end up picking something more up from him!