what should u eat before a workout?

i prefer working out in the mornings but i often get lightheaded or dizzy and i know its not because i dont drink enough water - im a freak about water and drink so much all day long.. but i think i may not be eating the right or enough before i go run or whatever.. what is best to eat before working out that's filling and will give me energy but won't fill me up so much that ill feel sick once i start running??

Fitness is my life.. I cant operate normally unless I work out every day. Personally, and after taking classes in college I know that your body needs to replace what it loses in order for it to work optimaly and in order for it to heal optimaly.

So you got to look at what you are burning off before you work out. Are you building muscle, or burning fat? They are two totally different things. To build muscle a nice protein bar or even granola mix will do well. To burn fat, you need a catalyst that converts the fat into energy. Simply put... you don't need too much because your body uses the energy in the fat. A banana (potassium) will help your muscles function smoother and longer because it reduces cramps. Fruit is probably the best source of any essential vitamins that you need for working out. (essential meaning vitamins your body really needs but cant produce on its own. Fruit is also high in glucose which is a form of energy. Bananas, apples, peaches.. anything, but not too much works fine.

I believe the most important part of a work out is afterwards. Your body needs to heal and by replacing what it loses prepares your body for the next day. The best 1-2-punch for an after work-out snack is peanut butter & apples. That combination of food effective replaces what you lost in any situation. Also... water w/ electrolytes and sodium (what you lose when you sweat) is most benneficial. Gatorade is the best source for this and Gatorade has just come out with a new Gatorade called Gatorade Endurance formula... or even their Propel Water.

I recommend that you mix Gatorade w/ water 1/2 and 1/2 because they manufacture Gatorade to be really sweet and strong.

Whatever you do, avoid taking vitamin supplaments too often.. Not only are they a waste of money, eating healthy is a lot more easier. What happens with vitamins (in pill forms) is that your body will never take more than you need.. and the rest is pooped out! pooping $$$.. just silly. Having a few portions of fruit and veggies in your diet is plenty of vitamins and minerals. Good luck with your work out... I hope you get ripped!

Pasta - I wouldn't advise this in the morning as it'll be too heavy. But it's a great source of slow release energy.

Fruit is very good in the morning as it has sucrose, starch etc.

Drink lots of water. Avoid things that can drain you like teas and coffees.

Usually I won't eat anything before or directly after I workout. I like to exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to get the maximum calorie burn. I do always drink water before, during, and after my workout.

If I wake up hungry or tired- then I will eat a light breakfast before I workout- which is low in fat and balanced in carbs and protein. I usually have a high protein whole grain cereal with nonfat milk and a multivitamin.

BellaDonna

Pasta - I wouldn't advise this in the morning as it'll be too heavy. But it's a great source of slow release energy.

Fruit is very good in the morning as it has sucrose, starch etc.

Drink lots of water. Avoid things that can drain you like teas and coffees.

Coffee and tea don't dehydrate you very much at all. At least not one cup in the morning. Even my trainer recommends for me a cup in the morning.

Depends on your workout really. If it is a longer, harder one (ie my workouts are either weights, yoga or 2+ hours bike rides so I need to adjust to eat accordingly eating nothing before for a yoga or easier weight session and just have a protein shake after, or eating a good brekkie or snack before a ride as well as eating every hour something small on the bike to keep fueled) you need to fuel more, if it short, maybe something simple like cereal or instant oatmeal and a banana (potassium in banana is great for physical activity).

I agree with darkblue. My drill coach always tells us to eat complex carbs before practice. Complex carbs are otherwise known as starches. Things like peanut butter, bran, oatmeal, bagels, pasta. They are all good things to eat for a slower energy release. Hope this helps.