Is it weird or inappropriate to ask someone out through social media?

15 hours ago, spicyalien said:

If anything, I’d prefer it so I can get a definitive answer over just waiting and hoping that they’ll eventually accept.

Maybe don't rely on Instagram or social media for answers?

It's suppose to be a way to make connection easier, enable us to always be in touch and make lots of "friends." But it just as easily creates walls and barriers that separate us. You get bombarded nonstop with requests, notifications, messages. There is a sensory overload. Anyone can say anything. So things get lost or overlooked. You end up becoming more choosy on what to respond to. Each individual becomes less valuable because there is always something new around the corner. It's a flawed system that often leaves people hurt.

Old fashioned, face to face conversation is always best. There's no waiting for a response. There's no wondering why they haven't done anything. There's no evaluating your worth if you're not one of whatever number of followers. There's no one else involved. It's just the two of you having an honest convesation and expressing yourselves. Get out what you need to say, get a response and go from there.

I'm confused though. You're orginal question was if it was okay to ask her out via socia media. Yet you've tried to follow five crushes on social media? Doesn't sound as if you've had a problem reaching out to them in the past. So why were you unsure on this one? And maybe if you've had five crushes in two months, you weren't really serious about any of them? 

Try getting to know people better in person and developing a friendship. Really learn who they are and see how well you interact. Then ask them out face to face. You don't need the internet to be social, you can do that live.

1 hour ago, ShySoul said:

I'm confused though. You're orginal question was if it was okay to ask her out via socia media. Yet you've tried to follow five crushes on social media? Doesn't sound as if you've had a problem reaching out to them in the past. So why were you unsure on this one?

This current crush is the only one of them who I was seriously considering asking out through social media. The prior four, I was just requesting for the heck of it.

I can't speak for other women, but I get bombarded with SM requests, and I don't tend to them regularly. Maybe not until I'm in the app and only if I have some extra time on my hands to look through them.

Not everyone is a 'maintainer' of those accounts. 

• Like 1