My mother and my boyfriend.

2 minutes ago, carti2.0 said:

Yes, I know. I am planning to get a job this summer and then work my senior year. I have been saving up money since I was like 5 and my grandmother left me a couple thousand after she died. My parents say they are willing to help me with the money as long as I get a job and put in some work too. 

Work hard. You can do it. A girl my son went to school with now owns her own aesthetics salon and just hired another person . This girl is 25 years old. Work hard and you can do anything . 

6 minutes ago, carti2.0 said:

I basically want to get out of the damn house as soon as I can.

Understandable. I felt the same way at your age—while not finding my mom, who I both love and have always liked, annoying af—and left home shortly before I turned 18. Think it's a pretty common way to feel, in other words, which I know doesn't lessen the sting in the moment. Keep fine tuning that plan—it'll make all this seem like small potatoes.  

And I just want to say I'm really sorry that your mother has made those comments about your clothes. That's not cool, not nice, and speaks far more to something inside of her than anything about you. You mentioned "parents," so I'm assuming she has a partner, and you have a second parent? How's that relationship?  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Work hard. You can do it. A girl my son went to school with now owns her own aesthetics salon and just hired another person . This girl is 25 years old. Work hard and you can do anything . 

Yes, I know, thank you. I have done many of my friends hair and I have had many compliments on my skills. Many people have told me they can see me doing something like this. The only part I am worried about is figuring out my life, but first off, just graduating highschool. I need to get through that first. My mom says she is willing to get me an apartment when I graduate to live by myself and I am terrified. Do you think that is too soon to do something like that? I barely know how to cook. My mother still does my laundry too. 

Just now, carti2.0 said:

Yes, I know, thank you. I have done many of my friends hair and I have had many compliments on my skills. Many people have told me they can see me doing something like this. The only part I am worried about is figuring out my life, but first off, just graduating highschool. I need to get through that first. My mom says she is willing to get me an apartment when I graduate to live by myself and I am terrified. Do you think that is too soon to do something like that? I barely know how to cook. My mother still does my laundry too. 

Time to learn those skills as well. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, bluecastle said:

Understandable. I felt the same way at your age—while not finding my mom, who I both love and have always liked, annoying af—and left home shortly before I turned 18. Think it's a pretty common way to feel, in other words, which I know doesn't lessen the sting in the moment. Keep fine tuning that plan—it'll make all this seem like small potatoes.  

And I just want to say I'm really sorry that your mother has made those comments about your clothes. That's not cool, not nice, and speaks far more to something inside of her than anything about you. You mentioned "parents," so I'm assuming she has a partner, and you have a second parent? How's that relationship?  

I have 2 moms. The mom I jst talked about is basically the leader in the house. 

My relationship with my other mom is on and off. I can get way closer to her than my main parent. She works at a highschool so she has more experience with kids. I don't know if that's really why but I think that might play a part? Maybe, idk. But I can joke around with her and stuff and I can't do that with my main mom. She also doesnt really comment on my clothes. And she really likes my boyfriend. She is much more chill than my other mom. But sometimes she can get very angry and she will put than anger onto me. She will say hurtful things when she is mad. She has called me an *** before and slapped me. It doesn't hurt that much but it still sucks. I wouldn't call it abuse. She would never really hurt me. But it just sucks because one day we will be like "best friends" and will be getting along so well. Next day she hates me for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, carti2.0 said:

I love my mother but I don't like her.

Yes this is 17. That's ok. She's not your pal. The best thing you could do? Get great grades, start applying for colleges. Get involved in wholesome activities. Build trust and independence through reliability.

She may be overly concerned and stern but she's probably having difficulty watching you become a young woman.

Remember, a she was 17 once too (but probably forgot what it's like) so she knows your sexuality is budding. 

She also knows what goes through 17 y/o boys minds.  She's probably aware of hook-up culture, drugs and teen sexuality and she doesn't want you to be hurt by boys. Including STDs or unplanned pregnancy.

You can't change her so the trick is to be as reliable, dependable and trustworthy as possible. Even if it means  less edgy clothes, etc.

Most of all talk about your education and goals so she knows you have your sights set on the right things and aren't abandoning your future for a cute guy.