Since Covid incompetence is off the charts

13 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I don't get this, as jobs are becoming harder to find, and the people who have jobs don't seem to care about the vanishing job market.

I work for a Fortune 100 company, and we had tens of thousands of layoffs recently. 

Many of my friends, many very longterm employees, educated professionals on to manufacturing employees, have lost their jobs.

Main reason?  AI.  Artificial Intelligence.

We, along with virtually every other company in the world right now, are moving to AI to do everything from engineering to Human resources.  You can no longer get a person on the phone, you have to go through our ChatBot, from one bot to another.  We used to be the most customer service friendly company in the world.

In the plants, about 90% of the employees are now replaced by robot machinery.  I visited one of our huge facilities about 15 years ago, and it's a stark difference to now.  Back then, employees had pride in showing you what they were doing and were proud of their accuracy, etc.  Today?  It's one machine picking up things, moving to another machine, moving to a roller belt, into a box, loading into a truck.

Even the trucks will soon be driven by AI.  An empty lot in my neighborhood has been slated to hold "Nuro Cars", which are the AI driven cars for delivery service.  They've been spotted all over town, mapping.  Pretty soon, they'll be driverless.

So when I think of the incompetence, it drives me crazy, because these are the people who HAVE jobs.  You will not have your job soon enough, once it goes to AI.  McDonald's now has people-less restaurants, where you order via app and they send your food down.

I made my own business and they don’t have Robots caring for little humans yet and not before I am retired either . 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I made my own business and they don’t have Robots caring for little humans yet and not before I am retired either . 

Yes, there are still some businesses that can't be replaced by AI.

But even doctors are being replaced by AI.  Even surgeons, as robotic surgeries increase.

It's the human touch dwindling, in all aspects.  Little kids being handed phones and iPads early on, which removes a human element, getting them ready to experience a lack of human contact later in life, which has become a real problem for today's teens.

So, many young people are now part of that generation where they had less contact than we who are older than they, and they don't value customer service.

So we get these horrid errors as in medication, and then we get the "I don't care" on top of it.

Getting a human on the phone is nearly impossible.  Am I the only one who screams at the top of her lungs, "REPRESENTATIVE!!!!!"?

I've noticed this, also.  And it seems like a lot of people just lack basic manners anymore when out and about.  I work at a health club and it happens so often where I will be ringing up someone's drinks, etc and someone else will just walk up and be like, "Can you start my tanning bed please!"  It's like, "Uh, can't you wait 30 seconds while I finish helping this customer who was here first?"  People act like having to wait for anything is the end of the world.  They act like it ruins their day if the bed they want is occupied, etc.  Also, a lot of grown ass adults just throw their trash on the floor when there are trash cans all over the club.  Is walking ten steps to a trash can really that hard? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

But even doctors are being replaced by AI.  Even surgeons, as robotic surgeries increase.

It's the human touch dwindling, in all aspects.  Little kids being handed phones and iPads early on, which removes a human element, getting them ready to experience a lack of human contact later in life, which has become a real problem for today's teens.

So, many young people are now part of that generation where they had less contact than we who are older than they, and they don't value customer service.

So we get these horrid errors as in medication, and then we get the "I don't care" on top of it.

Getting a human on the phone is nearly impossible.  Am I the only one who screams at the top of her lungs, "REPRESENTATIVE!!!!!"?

Hahaha no I do that too . I feel for my poor mother who has very severe hearing loss she has been dealing with an insurance company for 18 months since my stepfather died and can’t get them to do it properly so now she’s siccing  a lawyer on them.

3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

All the tech that has become obsolete over the years...  Now human beings are literally becoming obsolete. 

I'm an artist.  Artists have always thought we could never be replaced by AI, but now we are.  It really is sad to think that one day any art made by real humans might be unheard of.  I see artists now in my line of work who are starting to sell AI generated prints.  I wonder where the art world will be a hundred years from now.  I guess I shouldn't worry too much because I will be dead and it won't be my problem.  But it is interesting to think about. 

Just today, I wrote a scathing survey for some car work that had to be done.  LSS, someone hit my parked car, and 1 entire door had to be replaced.  LSS again:  now I have 2 doors that don't work, instead of just the 1 that got hit.  I didn't realize it until I drove away.

Impossible to get the body shop guy on the phone, so I drove back over there.  He smelled of alcohol, the kind that hits you before he even gets near.  No one else was "able" to help me.

He "promised" he'd get it fixed.  Over a month ago.  LSS again, I just figured I'll live with it, as I can't take it anymore.  The lack of even appearing to care.

So yes, customer service lacks, massively.

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Just today, I wrote a scathing survey for some car work that had to be done.  LSS, someone hit my parked car, and 1 entire door had to be replaced.  LSS again:  now I have 2 doors that don't work, instead of just the 1 that got hit.  I didn't realize it until I drove away.

Impossible to get the body shop guy on the phone, so I drove back over there.  He smelled of alcohol, the kind that hits you before he even gets near.  No one else was "able" to help me.

He "promised" he'd get it fixed.  Over a month ago.  LSS again, I just figured I'll live with it, as I can't take it anymore.  The lack of even appearing to care.

So yes, customer service lacks, massively.

I am sorry to hear that. 😓

• Thanks 1

I work in a veterinary hospital and I recruit reception staff as part of my job.  Since Covid I've found that few people want to apply for jobs (previously I'd get hundreds of applications) and those who bother to turn up for interview rarely make any effort.  Most of them make mention of some kind of mental health problem.  A few I've turned down have then sent me abusive emails - something I never got previously in many years of recruiting.

Our client all receive welfare benefits and since Covid they've definitely become ruder.  They come with a massive sense of entitlement and act as if nobody matters but them.  If they don't get what they want there and then, they start shouting and hurling emotive insults.  I've spoken with others who work with the public in other sectors and they've noticed the same problems.  Covid seems to have created a nastier and lazier society.

• Sad 2
14 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Getting a human on the phone is nearly impossible.  

My favorite is the "live chat" customer service feature. They even pretend to be humans and have names. "Hello I'm Peter, how may I help you". Even though all the while it's a just a chatbot program 🙄.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, poorlittlefish said:

I work in a veterinary hospital and I recruit reception staff as part of my job.  Since Covid I've found that few people want to apply for jobs (previously I'd get hundreds of applications) and those who bother to turn up for interview rarely make any effort.  Most of them make mention of some kind of mental health problem.  A few I've turned down have then sent me abusive emails - something I never got previously in many years of recruiting.

Our client all receive welfare benefits and since Covid they've definitely become ruder.  They come with a massive sense of entitlement and act as if nobody matters but them.  If they don't get what they want there and then, they start shouting and hurling emotive insults.  I've spoken with others who work with the public in other sectors and they've noticed the same problems.  Covid seems to have created a nastier and lazier society.

I will agree that there are pie holes on both sides . It is so so so frustrating. You would think people would get working as Covid handouts are over and in some cases are needing to be repaid to the government. I know of someone who has to pay back $24,000.