Seriously why don’t people know how to communicate!!

Seraphim

My business closes at 5 PM. A client messaged me to say she would be 5 mins late . I had an appointment today at 5:05 about 2 minutes walk from my house . My client arrives to pick up her children at 5:21. I can’t now have my appointment I have been waiting for for 6 weeks. I don’t even get so much as a sorry or even spoken to at all when I said I had missed an appointment. Seriously the disrespect from people these days is unbelievable. End rant . 

• Sad 3

Its not that people dont know how to communicate. Its just that, some of them are rude. With people like that you would have to either

a) shame her into apology by crying as much as possible about your appointment

b) have some form of punishment where they need to leave kids or take them right on time. For example, municipal kindergarden here(we have ones that are state property and private ones) has a policy that you have to leave kids on time otherwise you get closed doors. 

Sadly, some people would take advantage of you and just dont care. Dont let them do it. You should have at least gave her a good speech about it to know that you are not going to take it just like that.

• Like 2

Yes late fee!! That is typical in the daycares around my city from all I know.  And totally fair IMO. When I worked at a daycare in the 80s if the parent didn't come by 7 we were supposed to call police (I think it closed at 5?)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

Entitlement seems to be on the rise. 

I also agree entitlement is off the charts. The fact it wasn’t even acknowledged I even spoke I find insufferable. What makes this person think this is ok??? No, I am sorry you missed your appointment?? 

13 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My business closes at 5 PM. . My client arrives to pick up her children at 5:21.

Do you have a written policy/contract that covers emergencies/lateness?  For example a fee to cover it such as x dollars per y minutes late? That may deter people who simply take things for granted and it's fair to people who have emergencies and can't avoid being late.

47 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Do you have a written policy/contract that covers emergencies/lateness?  For example a fee to cover it such as x dollars per y minutes late? That may deter people who simply take things for granted and it's fair to people who have emergencies and can't avoid being late.

I do , yes, and will be applied. I told her to her face I missed an appointment because she was far later than she said. She said nothing to me , didn’t even acknowledge that I spoke just told her kids to get in the car and drove off. 

• Sad 1

At my kids daycare we were charged a dollar per minute for each minute we arrived past closing time, payable in cash immediately. If we didn't pay our kids were unable to return until it was paid. If they weren't picked up by 45 minutes past closing time the police were called.

They didn't mess around. The employees had been there all day and deserved and needed to go home.

• Like 3

Growing up my mom had a day care.  It's amazing how people just did not pick up their kids.  THEIR KIDS!  

In addition to charging an expensive fee-- $5 per minute, I would also have a 3 strikes rule.  This woman not even acknowledging the inconvenience and impact to you is beyond rude.  She knows what she does.  Maybe she needs to take her business elsewhere.  I would seriously consider firing clients.  

• Thanks 1