Suggestions on Finding New Hobbies

Alex39

Just now, Seraphim said:

I agree it is time to get up and do something , ANYTHING. 
Speaking of hobbies there are some BEAUTIFUL yarns out right now and I am super super tempted . 

Do it!!! My friend knit a sweater for my son when he was a baby -beautiful and so cherished 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Batya33 said:

Do it!!! My friend knit a sweater for my son when he was a baby -beautiful and so cherished 

Hahaha omg I could easily buy a few hundred dollars worth they are so pretty. This one is called Macaw. I am making blankets as a friend is having twins but I don’t know the genders but she is really bohemian anyway. 

1B1A34AB-429A-4624-A23D-93746AE4B3AA.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Hahaha omg I could easily buy a few hundred dollars worth they are so pretty. This one is called Macaw. I am making blankets as a friend is having twins but I don’t know the genders but she is really bohemian anyway. 

Wow.  Gorgeous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostandhurt said:

Walking group or partner:  I am sure there are hundreds of people just like you out there so find one or two.

Yep, and even walking solo isn't lonely if you stream an audiobook or podcast.

Here's how this branched out for me: minding my own business listening to audio when a neighbor approaches with the CUTEST PUPPY! Neighbor gushes while puppy and I bond. This repeats for a couple weeks and we exchange phone numbers. She and husband start bringing puppy to my home, I get invited to their bbq's and parties. I meet more friends through them.

Repeat above by 3 neighbors plus a CUTE BABY makes 4. Now when I'm not traveling on weekends or with family or prior friends, I've got something going on with one neighbor or another, or one of the friends I've met through them.

All just by walking daily with a podcast and knocking off my Covid-weight-gain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love cooking and baking too. A lot of the volunteering I've done has been using this passion and inclination - at community centers, long term care residences, and for community fundraising events. So you definitely can take that skill and meet lots of nice people. I find food is an easy one that crosses over a lot of other differences and can really bring people together. I garden too and am part of groups who share info, food and seeds. It's fun to me.

And I agree 100% with Lost. Try lots of things, don't worry about if you are good at it or if it pans out to something bigger. Just dig in and see what makes you happy! Sometimes it's something you'd never think would be for you yet you end up having a great time. I have aimed to try one new activity at least a season since my 20s. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes not , but it keeps things fresh . 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

All just by walking daily with a podcast and knocking off my Covid-weight-gain.

For better or worse when I power walk (lately on treadmill but for years outside too) I won't stop because for me personally I want the cardio benefits so I do 30-35 minutes (although I understand 20 is fine) -but when I walk otherwise -which I regularly do since I walk to all shopping/errands/son's school which often adds 1-2 miles extra a day - I don't care if I stop midway.

Here's how my exercise  helped - my son's school -new to him for this year-has a parent walk where in the fall every other week we met at the park across the street from school after drop off and did a 45 minute walk -the rule was you had to talk to someone you didn't know and we all said our names before we started walking.  Had I not already had the exercise routine I likely would not have noticed the activity. And this added to my day's "mileage."  It forced me -post-covid -to ease back into in person socializing and of course outdoors is extra safe.  

The advantage of volunteering about something you care about -- animals, children, gardening, libraries, the homeless --  whatever your interest is, is that you tend to meet like-minded people and therefore can perhaps find people you at least find tolerable to spend a few hours with. After that, you are more likely to be willing to socialize in other spaces. It also gives you a sense of accomplishment that can help your mental health. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arjumand said:

The advantage of volunteering about something you care about -- animals, children, gardening, libraries, the homeless --  whatever your interest is, is that you tend to meet like-minded people and therefore can perhaps find people you at least find tolerable to spend a few hours with. After that, you are more likely to be willing to socialize in other spaces. It also gives you a sense of accomplishment that can help your mental health. 

I'm still in touch -from hundreds of miles away -with some of the people I volunteered with reading to children at a homeless shelter (over 6 years that ended in 2008).  And I am still FB friends with my boss from the first internship I did for a nonprofit in 1981.  It's very true.

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

Beautiful work Seraphim! 🙂 Love the jewel tones!

I crocheted a ripple afghan for my brother and he uses it for his bed.  My husband's aunt crocheted a huge train afghan for my son before she passed away and I don't know how she did it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

It's something you'll keep forever.  When I was expecting my firstborn, I crocheted both a pink and blue baby sweater with pom poms.  Both of my boys wore them before they could sit up on their own.  I have some photos of them wearing it while I propped them up in a sitting position during the holidays.  I've kept it for my future grandsons!  I gave the pink baby sweater away as a baby shower gift years ago.  I should've kept it but I can always crochet another pink baby sweater in the future.  I agree @Batya33. When you know someone took the time and skill to create something for you, it feels very special indeed.  ❤️ 🙂 You can't part with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

Beautiful work Seraphim! 🙂 Love the jewel tones!

Thanks if you have Micheals in the US look on their site or APP and look at the Caron Cakes , Blossom Cakes and Cinnamon Cakes shades they are spectacular. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Thanks if you have Micheals in the US look on their site or APP and look at the Caron Cakes , Blossom Cakes and Cinnamon Cakes shades they are spectacular. 

Thank you @Seraphim .  I'm in the US 🙂 Is this variegated yarn or is each skein a different color?  Is this a single crochet stitch, or 1-1/2 crochet stitch?  Looks like a single crochet stitch.  How large is your afghan?  Twin bed size?  Double, queen or king size?  Is this a gift or for your sofa?  Thank you!

52 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I agree @arjumand.  My best friend volunteers for cooking large quantities of food for a children's home (center) but actually, not for children per se because once children turn 18, they're on the streets with nowhere to go.  Often times, this children's home is the only way they can eat a hot home cooked meal!  They're so grateful to eat a hot dinner, sides and dessert.  My friend and her volunteer group have assignments as to what to cook.  They cook it at home and bring it to the center.  Recently, 200 young former foster kids showed up at the door!  😮  There is so much need out there in society and so many people who are disadvantaged and underprivileged.  It's a great way to meet friends and empathetic types to be sure.

Another suggestion is dog walking either paid or volunteer.  You can meet others during walks.  Furry friends are amazing and they give you unconditional love.  It's always an ice breaker when you meet other people who love dogs, too or animals.  There's a special kinship.  I don't know why but I tend to gravitate towards animal lovers.  I can relate to them better. 

20 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

Thank you @Seraphim .  I'm in the US 🙂 Is this variegated yarn or is each skein a different color?  Is this a single crochet stitch, or 1-1/2 crochet stitch?  Looks like a single crochet stitch.  How large is your afghan?  Twin bed size?  Double, queen or king size?  Is this a gift or for your sofa?  Thank you!

They are variegated and it is a baby blanket so 117 stitches , into every stitch line 1 double crochet, single crochet, it ends with a double then one stitch turn your work and repeat that row always starting and ending with a double until the blanket is as large as you need. It will have a border as well. 

23 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

On 1/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, Alex39 said:

Any suggestions on hobbies I can try? How do I fix my slump?

I really want to get into 3D printing and, or cricut, and haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

Or become a girl scout leader?! I find if you don't know what to do with your life or even your love life, VOLUNTEER!  Find a bigger problem to solve.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tattoobunnie said:

I really want to get into 3D printing and, or cricut, and haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

There is a pretty good market for Warhammer miniatures and such. It can even be a good business.