Massive depression over ex work colleague

31 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I disagree, because many times people use "I don't have time/I can't afford it/I don't have transportation" as an excuse to forego therapy.  Online therapy removes basically all of these excuses.  Anyone who posts on this forum has access to the internet via a device.  That same device can be used to attend therapy sessions.

My psychologist charges me considerably less than she would have to for an office visit.  It saves the both of us a lot of time and resources.

Also doesn't AA do this thing where you can call your support person if needed? From home? I doubt they would have that approach if it wasn't an effective way to help a person with that addiction. 

6 hours ago, bluemax44 said:

my drinking was starting to effect my attendance & I didn't want to end up getting sacked by the company.

^ You're going to need to get your drinking under control before you look for another job otherwise you risk getting fired from a new job for the same reason (poor attendance etc).

Also, alcohol and medication mixed together is not a wise thing to do.  That's a recipe for disaster.  Get off the alcohol band wagon, go to AA, see a doctor for an overall health check.  You can't expect to get a job and be a constructive  worker if you have all of these issues. Sitting at home and drinking is not going to help you in any way, shape or form.  You need to make a proper effort to help yourself and that's by making the right moves - professional help - be that a doctor for a health check, AA and/or counseling/therapy.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Capricorn3 said:

^ You're going to need to get your drinking under control before you look for another job otherwise you risk getting fired from a new job for the same reason (poor attendance etc).

Also, alcohol and medication mixed together is not a wise thing to do.  That's a recipe for disaster.  Get off the alcohol band wagon, go to AA, see a doctor for an overall health check.  You can't expect to get a job and be a constructive  worker if you have all of these issues. Sitting at home and drinking is not going to help you in any way, shape or form.  You need to make a proper effort to help yourself and that's by making the right moves - professional help - be that a doctor for a health check, AA and/or counseling/therapy.

I'm not sitting around drinking all day. I only get drunk about once every month. It was just the issue with this woman that was triggering me doing it more often, which is one of the reasons I left. Before I met her I was going to work without any issues, so getting a new job won't be an issue. It's just a case of been better able to handle situations like this in the future. That's not to say that I don't need to address the drinking, because although it's infrequent I do get myself into some messy situations. 

6 hours ago, bluemax44 said:

I'm not sitting around drinking all day. I only get drunk about once every month. It was just the issue with this woman that was triggering me doing it more often, which is one of the reasons I left. Before I met her I was going to work without any issues, so getting a new job won't be an issue. It's just a case of been better able to handle situations like this in the future. That's not to say that I don't need to address the drinking, because although it's infrequent I do get myself into some messy situations. 

No one can "trigger" you to drink. That's a classic excuse.

In fact your drunk text to her started a downward spiral at work.

She is not the issue. No one "drove you to drink".

Problem drinking is not defined as an amount or frequency. It's defined by causing problems and so far you've lost your job and drunk texted a co-worker inappropriately.

Try to get help. Even if you just sit in on some AA sessions.

But you wrote that your drinking -whether drunk or not -was affecting your job.  Getting drunk once a month plus all you wrote -starts to seem excessive to me.  Getting drunk once a month on its own also seems excessive.  That sounds like a college kid who is just starting out as a frat boy or sorority gal - not an adult who is working for a living (and I would worry about the college student too if it wasn't short lived).