Jump to content

Are there times you can’t speak, breathe or walk properly?


Recommended Posts

I’m not sure if this was the right topic area thing but oh well also sorry it’s long

So I have a question for you peoples. Are there times when you can’t speak? It’s not a physical problem it’s more like your mind is telling your body to not even open your mouth.
I have this problem it’s very rare but still pops up every once in a while. I get almost this random wave of I think anxiety and I can’t speak. Well not really can’t it’s just feels terrible to speak and I’ll even clench down on my teeth to prevent myself from speaking. I would occasionally spit out a word but I don’t like it. I only do that because it’s ‘unusual’ for the people around me if I don’t speak. But in those moments I will stay in a corner lay down and prevent myself from speaking as much as possible. if I’m doing a task if feels like my mind and body are out of sync and are moving at different speeds. This happened a couple of months ago in front of some friends and I didn’t know what to do and didn’t want them to feel that I was seeking attention or was ignoring them but also didn’t know how to express anything to them as well. A very difficult situation I would say.

But yeah does anybody else have this problem and if so what do you guys do when it happens?

for the breathing and walking part. I have this issue when I’m walking alone or in a public place like my campus, sometimes I have to count my steps cause I forget how to walk properly or believe I’m not walking normally enough this sometimes result in me holding my breathe and sometimes unable to breathe but I try my best to focus on my walking pattern to distract myself. This could be because I’m not able to let out energy maybe, I have times where I need to clap loud or do something or else I can’t calm down. Another thing about breathing there are time I breathe too fast or slow which result in me breathing much more excessively and I can’t regulate myself properly or I would hold my breath all together until I am finally able to inhale.

This doesn’t seem very normal I guess and I’m very curious if other people have the same issue. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support. This could be anything from a physical problem to a psychiatric issue. The internet and forums are not substitutes for appropriate physical and mental health care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support. This could be anything from a physical problem to a psychiatric issue. The internet and forums are not substitutes for appropriate physical and mental health care.

Yes -also google the 4-7-8 Weil method of breathing and practice it even when you feel totally fine. It helps me so much when I am anxious/nervous/stressed.  So much.  Also helps with insomnia and good digestion.

I react to stress by being too chatty and react to stress in poor customer service situations by feeling angry/like venting which is not ok to do of course -so I have to like most humans figure out ways to deal with those potential reactions - the chatty/oversharing part of course is more embarrassing than the other thing is harmful/rude/unacceptable but both are problematic.  You just need better tools IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

I’m not sure if this was the right topic area thing but oh well also sorry it’s long

So I have a question for you peoples. Are there times when you can’t speak? It’s not a physical problem it’s more like your mind is telling your body to not even open your mouth.
I have this problem it’s very rare but still pops up every once in a while. I get almost this random wave of I think anxiety and I can’t speak. Well not really can’t it’s just feels terrible to speak and I’ll even clench down on my teeth to prevent myself from speaking. I would occasionally spit out a word but I don’t like it. I only do that because it’s ‘unusual’ for the people around me if I don’t speak. But in those moments I will stay in a corner lay down and prevent myself from speaking as much as possible. if I’m doing a task if feels like my mind and body are out of sync and are moving at different speeds. This happened a couple of months ago in front of some friends and I didn’t know what to do and didn’t want them to feel that I was seeking attention or was ignoring them but also didn’t know how to express anything to them as well. A very difficult situation I would say.

But yeah does anybody else have this problem and if so what do you guys do when it happens?

for the breathing and walking part. I have this issue when I’m walking alone or in a public place like my campus, sometimes I have to count my steps cause I forget how to walk properly or believe I’m not walking normally enough this sometimes result in me holding my breathe and sometimes unable to breathe but I try my best to focus on my walking pattern to distract myself. This could be because I’m not able to let out energy maybe, I have times where I need to clap loud or do something or else I can’t calm down. Another thing about breathing there are time I breathe too fast or slow which result in me breathing much more excessively and I can’t regulate myself properly or I would hold my breath all together until I am finally able to inhale.

This doesn’t seem very normal I guess and I’m very curious if other people have the same issue. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

I’m so sorry. I think you may be overthinking but see a doctor and describe these issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

But yeah does anybody else have this problem and if so what do you guys do when it happens?

 

After Corona times and isolation(I was work-bound to home and my country had hard isolation of citizens) I had an anxiety issue where when I started to meet even smaller groups of people, I started to feel unease. Even though people I met where all old time friends, still I felt like its a very ankward situation and danger, and that I should just go home where its safe. It passed in time. But yours sounds like a more severe anxiety attacks. Where you should go for an evaluation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

could be an anxiety issue.  Maybe search that and see if it may refer to you?

I have anxiety, cpl yrs ago was extreme, could barely function.  But I also have a history of bad nerves, due to my upbringing, etc.

Yes, consider talking to your doctor, maybe to get an analysis done, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whenever I'm under a lot of stress, I don't talk and if I have to, it's the bare minimum to function within my household or in public.  During these times, I don't chat with my siblings, mother and in-laws.  I'm not in the mood.  I can't and won't.  I'm not in a jolly mindset to do so.

As for breathing and walking, yes, I can do that because I have to.  Life moves on and I have to go along with it whether I like it or not.  No choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I think common sense - just looking around at how people move through life -will tell you that it is an unusual/atypical reaction - if I saw someone laying down in a corner and clenching his or her teeth and it was safe to do so I'd ask the person if he/she was ok.  I did this -or felt like this -when I was in labor, and I felt like I couldn't speak properly -very briefly-when I had a stroke (from which I fully recovered).  I "froze" when I was being sexually harassed.

I suggested 4-7-8 breathing.  When I am stressed I often breathe abnormally -too fast, not exhaling properly, losing perspecive.  4-7-8 breathing grounds me and sometimes I have to convince myself to stop the stress breathing and try it.  It always helps.  Always. 

I would see a medical doctor also not just a therapist.  Perhaps a neurologist but ask your doctor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Google "TikTok syndrome" . It's a phenomenon of teens watching TikTok and faux diseases and syndromes.

Watching tiktok? Like actual TikTok? I don’t think it’s that I have had these sort of problems for years before tiktok but I will look it up cause that sounds interesting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...