Are there times you can’t speak, breathe or walk properly?

I’m not sure if this was the right topic area thing but oh well also sorry it’s long

So I have a question for you peoples. Are there times when you can’t speak? It’s not a physical problem it’s more like your mind is telling your body to not even open your mouth.
I have this problem it’s very rare but still pops up every once in a while. I get almost this random wave of I think anxiety and I can’t speak. Well not really can’t it’s just feels terrible to speak and I’ll even clench down on my teeth to prevent myself from speaking. I would occasionally spit out a word but I don’t like it. I only do that because it’s ‘unusual’ for the people around me if I don’t speak. But in those moments I will stay in a corner lay down and prevent myself from speaking as much as possible. if I’m doing a task if feels like my mind and body are out of sync and are moving at different speeds. This happened a couple of months ago in front of some friends and I didn’t know what to do and didn’t want them to feel that I was seeking attention or was ignoring them but also didn’t know how to express anything to them as well. A very difficult situation I would say.

But yeah does anybody else have this problem and if so what do you guys do when it happens?

for the breathing and walking part. I have this issue when I’m walking alone or in a public place like my campus, sometimes I have to count my steps cause I forget how to walk properly or believe I’m not walking normally enough this sometimes result in me holding my breathe and sometimes unable to breathe but I try my best to focus on my walking pattern to distract myself. This could be because I’m not able to let out energy maybe, I have times where I need to clap loud or do something or else I can’t calm down. Another thing about breathing there are time I breathe too fast or slow which result in me breathing much more excessively and I can’t regulate myself properly or I would hold my breath all together until I am finally able to inhale.

This doesn’t seem very normal I guess and I’m very curious if other people have the same issue. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

2 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support. This could be anything from a physical problem to a psychiatric issue. The internet and forums are not substitutes for appropriate physical and mental health care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support. This could be anything from a physical problem to a psychiatric issue. The internet and forums are not substitutes for appropriate physical and mental health care.

Yes -also google the 4-7-8 Weil method of breathing and practice it even when you feel totally fine. It helps me so much when I am anxious/nervous/stressed.  So much.  Also helps with insomnia and good digestion.

I react to stress by being too chatty and react to stress in poor customer service situations by feeling angry/like venting which is not ok to do of course -so I have to like most humans figure out ways to deal with those potential reactions - the chatty/oversharing part of course is more embarrassing than the other thing is harmful/rude/unacceptable but both are problematic.  You just need better tools IMO.

5 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

I’m not sure if this was the right topic area thing but oh well also sorry it’s long

So I have a question for you peoples. Are there times when you can’t speak? It’s not a physical problem it’s more like your mind is telling your body to not even open your mouth.
I have this problem it’s very rare but still pops up every once in a while. I get almost this random wave of I think anxiety and I can’t speak. Well not really can’t it’s just feels terrible to speak and I’ll even clench down on my teeth to prevent myself from speaking. I would occasionally spit out a word but I don’t like it. I only do that because it’s ‘unusual’ for the people around me if I don’t speak. But in those moments I will stay in a corner lay down and prevent myself from speaking as much as possible. if I’m doing a task if feels like my mind and body are out of sync and are moving at different speeds. This happened a couple of months ago in front of some friends and I didn’t know what to do and didn’t want them to feel that I was seeking attention or was ignoring them but also didn’t know how to express anything to them as well. A very difficult situation I would say.

But yeah does anybody else have this problem and if so what do you guys do when it happens?

for the breathing and walking part. I have this issue when I’m walking alone or in a public place like my campus, sometimes I have to count my steps cause I forget how to walk properly or believe I’m not walking normally enough this sometimes result in me holding my breathe and sometimes unable to breathe but I try my best to focus on my walking pattern to distract myself. This could be because I’m not able to let out energy maybe, I have times where I need to clap loud or do something or else I can’t calm down. Another thing about breathing there are time I breathe too fast or slow which result in me breathing much more excessively and I can’t regulate myself properly or I would hold my breath all together until I am finally able to inhale.

This doesn’t seem very normal I guess and I’m very curious if other people have the same issue. I’ve had to deal with this a big chunk of my life but am only now questioning why this happens.

I’m so sorry. I think you may be overthinking but see a doctor and describe these issues. 

5 hours ago, Honeybeans said:

After Corona times and isolation(I was work-bound to home and my country had hard isolation of citizens) I had an anxiety issue where when I started to meet even smaller groups of people, I started to feel unease. Even though people I met where all old time friends, still I felt like its a very ankward situation and danger, and that I should just go home where its safe. It passed in time. But yours sounds like a more severe anxiety attacks. Where you should go for an evaluation.

could be an anxiety issue.  Maybe search that and see if it may refer to you?

I have anxiety, cpl yrs ago was extreme, could barely function.  But I also have a history of bad nerves, due to my upbringing, etc.

Yes, consider talking to your doctor, maybe to get an analysis done, etc.

Whenever I'm under a lot of stress, I don't talk and if I have to, it's the bare minimum to function within my household or in public.  During these times, I don't chat with my siblings, mother and in-laws.  I'm not in the mood.  I can't and won't.  I'm not in a jolly mindset to do so.

As for breathing and walking, yes, I can do that because I have to.  Life moves on and I have to go along with it whether I like it or not.  No choice. 

So I think common sense - just looking around at how people move through life -will tell you that it is an unusual/atypical reaction - if I saw someone laying down in a corner and clenching his or her teeth and it was safe to do so I'd ask the person if he/she was ok.  I did this -or felt like this -when I was in labor, and I felt like I couldn't speak properly -very briefly-when I had a stroke (from which I fully recovered).  I "froze" when I was being sexually harassed.

I suggested 4-7-8 breathing.  When I am stressed I often breathe abnormally -too fast, not exhaling properly, losing perspecive.  4-7-8 breathing grounds me and sometimes I have to convince myself to stop the stress breathing and try it.  It always helps.  Always. 

I would see a medical doctor also not just a therapist.  Perhaps a neurologist but ask your doctor.

19 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Google "TikTok syndrome" . It's a phenomenon of teens watching TikTok and faux diseases and syndromes.

Watching tiktok? Like actual TikTok? I don’t think it’s that I have had these sort of problems for years before tiktok but I will look it up cause that sounds interesting