Update on my husband’s brain injury

Some good news, he is making progress in his short term memory,but, it can still be spotty. He is improving in speech but if explanations are complicated or if he is stressed he has a lot of difficulty and will stutter or momentarily become mute . If he is driving he can’t speak at the same time he will rapidly stutter because his brain can’t handle two complicated things at once . 

He started working today! He is back 1-4 hours a day 3 days a week as he can tolerate . This will last for a few weeks and then it will be everyday 1-4 hours a day as he can tolerate and we will see how that goes. 

He starts his Physio therapy for speech and memory this Thursday . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand why the military would have him go back to work before he has even begun his therapy — I would think they have a vested interest in getting him as healthy as possible before he has to take on work as well. 

So happy things are improving. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I don’t understand why the military would have him go back to work before he has even begun his therapy — I would think they have a vested interest in getting him as healthy as possible before he has to take on work as well. 

So happy things are improving. 

Unfortunately, very short of people , like everywhere no one wants to work . But the doctor doesn’t believe in some of the aspects of the therapy but is sending him because I got him to request it. It is the doctor that says he is ok to work not the military it’s self. She is a civilian contracted doctor. She said if you don’t build up the brain’s  endurance and challenge it his progress could stall. Plus with his anxiety of return to work she doesn’t want that to become entrenched and have him constantly brooding at home . He has a very deep need to feel useful or his anxiety skyrockets . 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, arjumand said:

Very sorry to hear that. I hope he improves rapidly. 

The doctor expects this will take months and months unfortunately. He has a temporary category for now until October. Unfortunately, the brain injury is significant. 

• Sad 1

I really feel for you and your husband Seraphim.

My husband broke his wrist very badly about 6 years ago doing up our house. He fell from a 20 foot ceiling onto concrete floor and said he couldn’t move his legs. Thankfully his back was fine, but his wrist had already been broken 3 times before in his past, because of his boxing history and, he used to play ice hockey. 

I remember driving back from the hospital alone at 3am after being up I set 24 hours in a tearful sick daze. They said he might not be able to use his hand again, even after surgery. And this was only his hand.

So, in my little experience as the other half, I can’t imagine how hard and upsetting it is for you at the moment, especially juggling what you juggle at the same time.

Get your rest where you can, remember to look after yourself where you can. Hopefully therapy and time will help you both get over this situation.

Warm thoughts to you both,

x

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mylolita said:

I really feel for you and your husband Seraphim.

My husband broke his wrist very badly about 6 years ago doing up our house. He fell from a 20 foot ceiling onto concrete floor and said he couldn’t move his legs. Thankfully his back was fine, but his wrist had already been broken 3 times before in his past, because of his boxing history and, he used to play ice hockey. 

I remember driving back from the hospital alone at 3am after being up I set 24 hours in a tearful sick daze. They said he might not be able to use his hand again, even after surgery. And this was only his hand.

So, in my little experience as the other half, I can’t imagine how hard and upsetting it is for you at the moment, especially juggling what you juggle at the same time.

Get your rest where you can, remember to look after yourself where you can. Hopefully therapy and time will help you both get over this situation.

Warm thoughts to you both,

x

Thank you for that. It is tough for everyone for sure. I am struggling that for sure. I was struggling before so now it is worse. 

The doctor said the injury is significant but she thinks he can make a fully recovery or close to it. But every brain is so individual and he has taken so many head injuries that it is hard to tell how long this will take . It happened June 8 so not even two months ago. I am expected it to take into the new year realistically. 

• Like 1

He had his Physio appointment today and they just did background and assessment. His physical assessment went pretty good. Just small issues with one eye not tracking fully on one test. (very slight )and his right vestibular balance a bit off on one test. His reflexes were excellent. Cranial nerves were perfect . Strength was very good. Next appointment is the cognitive function tests. 

For now he has some exercises to work on proprioception. ( where you are in relation to everything else.)

• Thanks 1

His Physio assessment was finished yesterday ( the cognitive portion) and they said he has cognitive impairment in short term memory and processing . That he will recover but it will be slow . 
It seems the cognitive damage is in language . She gave him 20 words to remember repeating them back and he could only remember 6 even after 4 tries but when she asked him to reverse a 12 digit number he could do that. 

Also his spoken reading speed was slower than average right now . 

On the 8th it is 2 months since his brain injury. 

18 hours ago, arjumand said:

It will be a difficult trek, but it sounds like he should get his health back. I know you have the strength and stamina to deal with this, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t difficult. 

It is going to be long for sure I think. He has been warned by the doctor and Physio to go very slow because otherwise his recovery will be more bumpy and longer. He was at work for four hours yesterday which is his total limit set by the doctor and he had a headache when he woke up today and had some stuttering. So it was entirely too long. He has to scale back but he wants so desperately to be back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband’s appointments have now moved down to every 2 weeks. I see a vast improvement this week especially to his confidence. He went to the Major about the person who was being a bully and he recognized my husband’s feelings and agree it was not a good situation and he would deal with it.    

My  husband has noticed a momentum when he starts working and he can keep working for a longer period  . So his recovery is becoming a little faster.  We will see what his doctor says on Tuesday .

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

My husband had a consult with a neurologist over the phone today. He felt he was recovering but it would most likely take a year to fully recover and if he hadn’t in a year it was likely permanent injury is a result. From the testing he did with him he felt his responses were slow like someone who had been awake all night. Appropriate but slow. He is sending a prescription for supplements and brain exercises. 

On 8/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, Seraphim said:

My husband’s appointments have now moved down to every 2 weeks. I see a vast improvement this week especially to his confidence. He went to the Major about the person who was being a bully and he recognized my husband’s feelings and agree it was not a good situation and he would deal with it.    

My  husband has noticed a momentum when he starts working and he can keep working for a longer period  . So his recovery is becoming a little faster.  We will see what his doctor says on Tuesday .

Great news Seraphim.  Glad he is on the upswing!

• Like 1