Internal job posting removed after I received an email stating their interest in my profile

Hi all, 

On Friday, I applied for an internal job posting in a different location (not highly sought after location). I received an email today stating their would like to look at my application more closely and schedule an interview. 

I then went onto the internal portal to access the job posting and it appears they just took it down. It was posted less than a month ago. 

I am assuming they probably have had some applications coming in but it is not really a sought after location either, so I'm not sure as to whether they've had a surplus. 

Do I still stand a chance? 

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

Go by the email that you received today about scheduling an interview. Did you respond to them? 

It was an automated email via Workday. There was no option to respond as the email stated they will reach out in due course for this next step.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RuedeRivoli said:

It was an automated email via Workday. There was no option to respond as the email stated they will reach out in due course for this next step.

See how it goes then. I'd give it a week/five business days. Keep scanning for other positions if you're looking for other work or internal positions at your current employer. Carry on with the search.

• Like 4

Sure, you've got a shot. They ran an action on the respondents they want to see and took the post down to prevent more submissions.

This is why it's good to screen capture or otherwise generate a copy of the original post so you can refer to it later.

Thumbs up, and I hope you'll keep us updated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RuedeRivoli said:

Thank you!

I still haven't heard anything since that email, but I will update if something comes up. 

It's methodical bureaucracy, and it can be efficient and quick, OR, it can get wrapped up around decision makers who delay the process. Hang in there!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Sometimes things are posted to comply with labor and EEOC laws and have nothing to do with you personally. Did you actually want this position?

The job seemed interesting and it is a more senior role. The location wasn't really to my liking though.

It is not the end of the world, certainly, but I am a bit disappointed as to how this was handled. They should have just acknowledged the application and left it until they were sure they wanted to interview me before sending an email on this step that never happened in the end. 

I got an email yesterday stating that they will not be moving forward with my application.

They did acknowledge your application. Let it go. Is it worth the headaches for something you were meh about anyway?

53 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

They did acknowledge your application. Let it go. Is it worth the headaches for something you were meh about anyway?

I think you're misunderstanding my statement. I said they should have just left it at the stage where the acknowledged the application (a first email before the one mentioned in the OP) instead of sending a second email regarding an interview that eventually never took place. 

I just think it is unprofessional. 

25 minutes ago, RuedeRivoli said:

I think you're misunderstanding my statement. I said they should have just left it at the stage where the acknowledged the application (a first email before the one mentioned in the OP) instead of sending a second email regarding an interview that eventually never took place. 

I just think it is unprofessional. 

Yes, sometimes job hunting/job applications involve glitches and people who make mistakes and don't do what is the epitome of professionalism especially with a volume of applicants.  I've had instances where I didn't receive a thank you note for interviewing someone, where I interviewed 3 times and was never contacted either way, where the job description was not correct, etc. 

When you work in an HR capacity you would never let that happen I get it.  

My sense is if it was an automated email you got on a list by mistake.  Mistakes happen.  

• Like 1

Yeah, it could have been an automated message mistake, but I went into the status of the application in Workday and it was changed from application received to "under consideration". While I may assume an email can be triggered accidentally, I don't think a change in status is accidental. 

It could very well be HR was not aware the hiring manager had candidates shortlisted already. 

It is disappointing, especially for an internal role where you would think you would be treated with a bit more courtesy than an external applicant. 

It is what it is. It is my 3rd internal application that got rejected within 3 / 4 days meanwhile everyone else in my team seems to be moving internally (upwards) pretty easily. I don't understand. 

I'm sorry you're disappointed.  Could it be that your exacting expectations and reactions to slights or perceived slights come across in how you work with others and perhaps your reputation precedes you?  Even if your skills are way above average and you work hard and reliably if the mindset you have and the focus you have about this job application is consistent with how you handle -or appear to handle -others' "mistakes" or "unprofessional" behavior you perhaps could be getting in your own way.

39 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I'm sorry you're disappointed.  Could it be that your exacting expectations and reactions to slights or perceived slights come across in how you work with others and perhaps your reputation precedes you?  Even if your skills are way above average and you work hard and reliably if the mindset you have and the focus you have about this job application is consistent with how you handle -or appear to handle -others' "mistakes" or "unprofessional" behavior you perhaps could be getting in your own way.

Not really. It's a large company of 210,000 employees worldwide and I was applying for a role overseas. The HR coordinator is also located overseas and doesn't know me. All the feedbacks I have documented have been positive, including my manager's. 

I don't have a "reputation" at all. The only reputation I have is being a pleasant "yes yes" person. Me stating on a forum that a process (not a person) is unprofessional does not mean I go around the office calling out who is professional and who is not. I think people need to distinguish that feelings or expressions of emotions posted on a forum obviously do not reflect one's behaviour at work. This is an anonymous forum, hence me being forward about my feelings is all. So we are clear, I am criticizing a process as being "unprofessional", not the HR contact person.

If my reputation was "preceding" me, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been invited to an interview in the first place. I can appreciate sometimes it is an employee's fault, but I find it a bit of stretch to assume I have a negative reputation simply because I'm expressing my thoughts on a forum. Your post is quite offensive (though I know it's not what you meant).

5 hours ago, RuedeRivoli said:

It is what it is. It is my 3rd internal application that got rejected within 3 / 4 days meanwhile everyone else in my team seems to be moving internally (upwards) pretty easily. I don't understand. 

I would be curious about this as well. Have you looked at the bios or profiles of the hired individuals (others promoted) on LinkedIn for example? Take a look at their credentials/experience. Usually it's also who you know and a referral from someone else so keep networking and working on your cv.

Not really. It's a large company of 210,000 employees worldwide and I was applying for a role overseas. The HR coordinator is also located overseas and doesn't know me. All the feedbacks I have documented have been positive, including my manager's. 

I don't have a "reputation" at all. The only reputation I have is being a pleasant "yes yes" person. Me stating on a forum that a process (not a person) is unprofessional does not mean I go around the office calling out who is professional and who is not. I think people need to distinguish that feelings or expressions of emotions posted on a forum obviously do not reflect one's behaviour at work. This is an anonymous forum, hence me being forward about my feelings is all. So we are clear, I am criticizing a process as being "unprofessional", not the HR contact person.

If my reputation was "preceding" me, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been invited to an interview in the first place. I can appreciate sometimes it is an employee's fault, but I find it a bit of stretch to assume I have a negative reputation simply because I'm expressing my thoughts on a forum. Your post is quite offensive (though I know it's not what you meant).

I never assumed -read what I wrote.  Also don't assume that if you feel this way at other times it's not coming across despite excellent reviews.  People might be reluctant to put negative feedback in writing for a variety of reasons.  I never assumed it was your "fault" because in some organizations -if -again if as I wrote above - your reaction to these sorts of slights are as you've described here are actually welcome reactions because your colleagues will have the same exacting standards as you and you will fit right in.  It's not necessarily a fault at all -it depends on the working environment.

I think you're expecting far too much in the way of standard of behavior in the circumstances you described where you're applying online and receiving online messages.  I also think you're feeling extra sensitive because you perceive that others are moving along faster than you when you are just as or more than qualified.  In my experience - around 25 plus  years, 15 of those with big corporations, the rest with smaller companies and government - it's really hard for most jobs -with rare exception -to simply slice and dice a set of skills, a length of tenure, etc and figure out "why her and not me?"  Is it fair? Sometimes yes sometimes no.  Life isn't fair.  That's true of work as well and often what seems 'unfair' is based on qualities and attributes that aren't listed anywhere. 

One of my most important mentors I ever had in my life I "got" because on his first meeting with a group of us -he was new -I approached him after and said "I don't do [his area] but I want to learn.  It sounds really interesting.  I'd like an assignment." He gave me one on a Thursday afternoon that required lots of weekend work.  I'm sure also to test my motivation.  I handed it in on Monday, quaking in my boots as far as whether I'd done a good job.   

I did not have the technical skills of most of his team.  I did not have the background of most of his team.  But we clicked, he saw my fire to learn, he saw my work ethic, he saw that I was willing to be thrown into the fire to learn what I could of his area.  He was my mentor for over 10 years till I went on maternity leave. 

It never would have been wholly evident in my CV, or any other concrete way that others could read "why her?"  I am typical.  I know of many stories like mine.  So I wouldn't waste too much time ruminating over why them and not me.  It really could be as simple as a two minute conversation where there was a rapport formed -a professional one - and what followed was through the lens of that initial rapport and built on it.  You won't have that inside info so to you from the outside it might seem baffling and unfair.