Should I tell the company I want to work for that their website has typos?

Guest Anonymous

Should I alert the firm I am contracting for about typos on their website?   

4 members have voted

1. 1. I am a new independent contractor attorney for a law firm and part of onboarding was reviewing their website's services pages, where I found a bunch of typos. I made a Word doc with each one I found. I was going to tell them about the typos but now I'm wondering if it is appropriate?

• Yes, I'd want to know if my website had typos.
    • No, not your job.
    • Other (comment)

12 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

no 

What do you mean by "review their website? Do they want a grammar and spelling critique?

Why would an attorney rather than an IT tech/web-designer be doing this? Makes no sense. What exactly are they hiring you to do?

Is this a fly-by-night ambulance chaser type of firm? What's up with the poorly designed/edited website?

13 hours ago, boltnrun said:

If your job is to review the website, why wouldn't you tell them?

Well my job isn't to review their website, it is to actually draft and review legal contracts and possibly some other things as needed. But as part of the "onboarding" process, they had me review their website's "services" page to familiarize myself with what services they offer to their clients. It was while I was doing this that I found the minor typos. 

8 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Why would you contract with a firm that hires we designers that can't spell?

Haha I think it was really due to lack of proofreading than not knowing how to spell. 

3 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

they had me review their website's "services" page to familiarize myself with what services they offer to their clients. It was while I was doing this that I found the minor typos. 

Ok. They are not asking you to critique their webpage, but rather just read it to acquaint yourself with their firm. So no, leave the that to their IT people. They are paying you to be an attorney, not a pedantic schoolteacher.

1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

What do you mean by "review their website? Do they want a grammar and spelling critique?

Why would an attorney rather than an IT tech/web-designer be doing this? Makes no sense. What exactly are they hiring you to do?

Is this a fly-by-night ambulance chaser type of firm? What's up with the poorly designed/edited website?

The website is actually very professional looking for a law firm. I should have provided more context - I was asked to read the "Services" page on their website to familiarize myself with the services they offer clients (since those services are the ones I'll be performing) as part of the onboarding process. While doing this, I noticed some minor typos or inconsistencies that look like they're due to a lack of proofreading. There was also some minor inconsistency in the independent contractor agreement I signed. I want to point them out but I'm also a little anxious to do so because I am just building my relationship with this firm and I want them to like me enough to hopefully hire me full-time as an associate soon lol 

1 minute ago, Guest Anonymous said:

There was also some minor inconsistency in the independent contractor agreement I signed. 

Focusing on your contract is appropriate, but acting as a secretary is not. Do the partners give the janitors tips on how to clean toilets? If not, you should not be doing that type of thing. be professional.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

There was also some minor inconsistency in the independent contractor agreement I signed. I want to point them out but I'm also a little anxious to do so because I am just building my relationship with this firm and I want them to like me enough to hopefully hire me full-time as an associate soon lol 

The contract is way more important than the spelling. Definitely ask about the contract.

• Like 1

I think I probably would mention it politely and briefly. But I'm wondering whether it might be better to settle in at work a bit first and get to know the management and colleagues a bit more? It might sound better once you're not a brand new person trying to point out their mistakes. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1