Autophagie question

Hello guys, quick question, how many hours should one fast to start autopagie? In some sources it says 16 hours, in some 18 hours, I mean is it enough, to fast 16 hours a day and eat during 8 hours, to make that mechanism work?

Thanks a lot

Specifically, you have to starve for at least 14 to 17 hours at a time even with intermittent fasting until the process of autophagy and cell rejuvenation is set in motion. According to scientists, however, autophagy is only fully completed after around 72 hours which is why intermittent fasting regardless of whether 16:8 or 5:2 makes sense in terms of effective detoxification of the body and weight loss, but less for cell rejuvenation. In this regard, a strict week of fasting would be preferable to more comfortable intermittent fasting.

• Thanks 1

This has a good discussion of it.  Why Fasting Causes Autophagy — and What's the Deal With That, Anyway? | livestrong

I have a number of friends who do IF including a few IF fanatics (it would not be for me and I've seen with interest recent articles showing that it's not a great idea).  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

First time I hear about autophagy. What an interesting quest!

So, autophagy has been investigated on mice and apparently these rodents benefit from it, but how it affects humans seems to be still being researched.

I'd suggest anyone speak to a competent doctor / physician before considering this sort of thing. 😊

• Like 2

What's the difference between this and intermittent fasting? Is this a new weight loss trend?

Fasting has been around for eternity. The deal with the mice and less tumors has been known for a long time.

So. It depends on what your objective is. Of course stay hydrated. Depending on your size, activity level,etc after a while you'll go into ketosis.

That's simply the body shifting from glucose to metabolizing fat.

That too has been around forever.

In general, fad diets aren't great for your health. Make sure you're not buying supplements or pills that promise rejuvenation and weight loss.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I mean, I taught that intermitten fasting and autophagy are same things,but obviously not. I wanted to try fasting because of all those benefits, but it seems fasting and intermitten fasting are not the same thing...

15 minutes ago, turtle3 said:

Yeah I mean, I taught that intermitten fasting and autophagy are same things,but obviously not. I wanted to try fasting because of all those benefits, but it seems fasting and intermitten fasting are not the same thing...

From what I understand they are very different.  I fast for about 24 hours once a year -no water either -religious reasons.  I find it very hard depending on the year.  It has no health benefits to me as far as I can tell -maybe marginal head-clearing benefits.  I often get a headache, I feel weak/low energy/fatigued. I've done many shorter term fasts for medical/dental procedures.

I have one friend who does IF and is an avid fitness person/cyclist and it works well for her -been at least a year or more.  For me personally the true downside would be the rigidity and the risk I'd be too focused on food and eating/not eating/timing -that sort of focus would not be healthy for me since I dieted too much many years ago in my teens/20s.  Depends on where you are mentally/psychologically with food and dieting, your body image. 

• Like 1

Batya33,I completely understand what are you talking about. It is all one big mental challenge and not in every phase of our lives we are ready for such a thing. Some weeks I manage this 16:8 IF, some days I don't think about food at all, but some days I just want to eat whenever I want, so yes, it is matter of discipline and moods we are all having. And I understand that you felt no benefits after long time no eating. I think I would feel the same.

4 hours ago, turtle3 said:

Batya33,I completely understand what are you talking about. It is all one big mental challenge and not in every phase of our lives we are ready for such a thing. Some weeks I manage this 16:8 IF, some days I don't think about food at all, but some days I just want to eat whenever I want, so yes, it is matter of discipline and moods we are all having. And I understand that you felt no benefits after long time no eating. I think I would feel the same.

I feel differently - I don't feel I ever have to be ready for any challenges related to being able to fast or intermittently fast.  It's not a health goal of mine.  By contrast, I consistently face whatever challenges there are to maintaining my exercise routine I've had since 1982.  I do have discipline related to eating but not related to fasting or attempting to fast.  I understand for you personally it's a goal of yours -just don't relate to your general statements about phases of life and readiness for what you plan to do.  

• Like 1