Girls Trip Pressure

32 minutes ago, wealthydior said:

No I think it’s okay if you ask for covid test but maybe you should let them stay in the condo just for a night. It will be a kind offer and it won’t do anything. Of course it’s your call but your mom’s friend is waiting that offer.

I personally would not want strangers in the living room including a male I don't know at a vacation condo even for one night -some people are like the more the merrier just crash where ever so it depends on the OP's sensibilities and preferences.  For me it would make me tense and anxious -not a good feeling on a vacation.  Also increases risk for covid especially since there are many false negatives.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I personally would not want strangers in the living room including a male I don't know at a vacation condo even for one night -some people are like the more the merrier just crash where ever so it depends on the OP's sensibilities and preferences.  For me it would make me tense and anxious -not a good feeling on a vacation.  Also increases risk for covid especially since there are many false negatives.  

I'm with you. It makes me anxious and uneasy. And having them as "Guests" I'd feel like I couldn't relax. I'd have to entertain them in the condo. To me, a vacation is for me to relax and be comfortable. And the covid thing. If they worked at home or mainly alone, I'd be more comfortable,  but she works with patients at the hospital. 

Edited by Alex39
  • Like 2

No, I wouldn't invite them. No one can guarantee it "wouldn't do anything". You can get these highly contagious variants simply by being in the same room with someone who's infected for a period of time. I got the original version of Covid from my nephew and we were only in the same room for about 30 minutes.

There shouldn't be any reason why they would need to come to the condo other than to pick their mother up.

Of course, she will be exposed to them for a long period of time. The virus doesn't care if you are related or if you've known someone for a long time. However it isn't realistic to think you can completely avoid exposure. So it's up to you how much you're willing to curtail your life and activities and how much risk you're willing to take.

I'm going to a city that's well known for uninhibited, drunken crowds this weekend. My brother's kids will be going to clubs to party and I will be sharing a bed with my niece. I already know I'll be exposed, but I'm vaccinated and double boosted so I've done all I can.

• Like 1

We all were exposed last Sunday at a graduation event.  It's not fun to wait it out.  We all feel fine.  I'm double boosted, husband single, son single (son can't be double boosted, too young). I figure as of tomorrow it's 5 days so likely not going to get it if not tomorrow.  My son is in school in person no masks required plus school bus (he wears one) so I guess we're exposed all the time.  And I traveled in April, husband traveling now, etc.  I don't live my life in anxiety but I would draw the line at sharing a small space overnight with a healthcare worker.  

It is scary. I was exposed last Sunday, my mother woke up with a fever and sore throat. She tested positive that day.  I spent the whole day before with her in close proximity and the morning she tested positive, then I went home when she tested positive. It is now Thursday night, and I've tested negative. Do you think I'm in the clear? I feel fine and have tested negative twice. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

It is scary. I was exposed last Sunday, my mother woke up with a fever and sore throat. She tested positive that day.  I spent the whole day before with her in close proximity and the morning she tested positive, then I went home when she tested positive. It is now Thursday night, and I've tested negative. Do you think I'm in the clear? I feel fine and have tested negative twice. 

It's up to ten days from what I've seen from various medical experts. But also the most contagious days are those immediately before becoming symptomatic. So yes, you could be just fine. I would give it another couple of days.

I tested positive about five days after my nephew started showing symptoms. 

10 hours ago, Alex39 said:

I hope you are ok. My friend -who is vaccinated, boosted and mid 50s -said she was exposed and tested negative several times on home tests and even PCR.  Then she got tested for antibiodies which showed she had it (she had no respiratory issues -but the "gut" issues as she put it).  I too was exposed Sunday but didn't test (I heard yesterday the home tests might not work as well as far as false negatives for vaccinated/boosted people and I recently was boosted again)

If you're really concerned I'd do a PCR.  I feel fine too as does my husband as of yesterday (he's away on business) and my son (although kids are sometimes asymptomatic?).  I'm basically exposed through my son every school day. To my knowledge I've never had covid.  Neither have my husband or son.

9 hours ago, boltnrun said:

It's up to ten days from what I've seen from various medical experts. But also the most contagious days are those immediately before becoming symptomatic. So yes, you could be just fine. I would give it another couple of days.

I tested positive about five days after my nephew started showing symptoms. 

From what I know -not a doc -these new variants show up much much faster -like within 5 days -but don't quote me on that

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Alex39 said:

It is scary.

Make sure you and everyone else is safe to travel. This is why this penny-wise, pound-foolish thinking and cramming everyone together is turning a vacation from fun to "scary".

Is everyone flying? That will be interesting if people have covid.

Edited by Wiseman2

On 5/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, Wiseman2 said:

Make sure you and everyone else is safe to travel. This is why this penny-wise, pound-foolish thinking and cramming everyone together is turning a vacation from fun to "scary".

Is everyone flying? That will be interesting if people have covid.

I never ended up getting covid. I tested like 5 times and felt completely fine. 

My mother is recovered. My mom's friend on the trip said she is testing before we leave. She barely leaves her house. The other two girls, My friends, I'm unsure. They are very covid cautious, wearing n95 masks and such. But I think one of them may have gone on another trip a week ago. That worries me. 

We are flying. Bringing masks with us. I'm going to try and wear an n95 on the airplane. 

• Like 1

Where we are there are no more mask mandates on planes. My husband took a 4 hour flight this past weekend.  He wore a mask and said most did not.  No covid here but my son has a cold.  We do not.  He tested negative for covid once so far.  We might retest -seems unlikely it was from the graduation we attended over a week ago but his school has no more mask mandate so he is exposed (and then I guess I am as well) every school day.  I'm glad your mom is better and that you are ok!  I think if you're all flying to the destination then you're all presumably exposed.  It's all a risk!  We flew last month (with the mask mandate) and ate indoors, etc and all were fine.

I went on a trip over the weekend and met up with a friend who swore she was just having allergies. Well, she tested positive today. So now me, my brother and his kids are all on Covid watch.

I think testing the day before leaving on the trip is a good idea. If my friend had done that my family and I wouldn't be in the mess we are now. If you're all negative the day before I imagine you'll be fine.

Edited by boltnrun
  • Like 2

Anecdotally, I am hearing about more and more people who are testing positive 5+ days after exposure. People think they are in the clear and then test positive.   And I personally know more people who have tested positive in the last few months than all the people I know who tested positive over the last 2 years~!  This seems to be more contagious than ever!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, redsox22 said:

Anecdotally, I am hearing about more and more people who are testing positive 5+ days after exposure. People think they are in the clear and then test positive.   And I personally know more people who have tested positive in the last few months than all the people I know who tested positive over the last 2 years~!  This seems to be more contagious than ever!

The first time I had it I tested positive again 10 days after my first positive test! I was so disappointed.

But all you can really do is test the day before you leave and then do your best to avoid people and situations that could be risky. And stay away from friends who swear their severe illness is just "allergies"!

• Like 1