Diet Soda Addiction

I have a generally healthy lifestyle. I walk a lot. I do not drink much. I do not smoke. I limit sugar, fried food and other junk food. I do not drink coffee but being British drink quite a lot of tea! 

My one weakness is diet soda and I generally have a few cans a day. Obviously I have read all the scare stories about aspartame. But it has been subjected to extensive safety studies and lots of people drink it.

Has anyone noticed any benefits from quitting a diet soda habit?

26 minutes ago, jazz_lover said:

Yes. Headaches disappeared. It's not only aspartame, it's all the sweeteners. For example stevia and alcohol sugars, which are often marketed as "natural".

For some reason even though they are not caloric, they trick your brain and taste buds and increase sugar cravings.

Many of them act as neurotransmitters and the alcohol sugars (ending in "ol") can act as laxatives. You even have to watch out for "no sugar added", another marketing trick to make a product appear "healthier".

Once you get rid of it, you'll just feel better. Consider flavored water and seltzers. You'll reset your palate. 

There are studies that show different people taste artificial sweeteners differently. For example to some people they taste metallic or bitter 🤢. That's me. It tastes like metal and has an awful aftertaste.

Wean yourself off it and within 3 mos, you'll be able to taste food better.

Unfortunately these things are designed this way the same way junk food has a day's worth of sodium in one meal and monosodium glutamate to enhance flavor and make it more "addictive".

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1

Well, for one thing you'll break the addiction! It's not a huge financial burden, but it's better to not compulsively consume something than otherwise. You get to walk around all day not controlled by diet soda. It's freeing. 

The diet soda addiction is real! My boyfriend's addiction is Diet Coke. He quit a few times but always went back. This time around, he's been off of it since October and hopefully doesn't go back. My coworker's addiction was Diet Dr. Pepper. If he didn't have a Diet Dr. Pepper in the middle of the day, it affected his mood (same for my boyfriend).

Different people seem to be addicted to different artificial sweeteners. Caffeine seems to make the addiction more potent. A couple years ago, I heard someone on a documentary refer to the combination of artificial sweeteners and caffeine as "excitotoxins." I tried googling it at the time but found little info. But it made sense to me. I had recently discovered that adding Equal to a cup of coffee was like crack. It was crazy--I don't do that anymore, but when I first decided to "eliminate sugar," my coffee consumption increased from two cups to seven! Splenda didn't have the same effect, only Equal. So there's definitely something going on there and I feel like I'm better off staying away from it all.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jazz_lover said:

I have a generally healthy lifestyle. I walk a lot. I do not drink much. I do not smoke. I limit sugar, fried food and other junk food. I do not drink coffee but being British drink quite a lot of tea! 

My one weakness is diet soda and I generally have a few cans a day. Obviously I have read all the scare stories about aspartame. But it has been subjected to extensive safety studies and lots of people drink it.

So so many.  I had my habit for over 25 years.  Benefits- drinking more water as a replacement, less tummy troubles, more energy, better skin (from replacement with water), way way fewer carb cravings.  I have a sweet tooth to the hilt and drinking diet coke triggered cravings. I'm not sure if that led to weight loss but I can tell you I was slim when I was 41 and got pregnant, now I'm 55 and about 10 pounds less.  I think there may be a link.  I don't diet per se.  

I do drink about a half glass or so of sparkling water -just bubbles, no artificial anything -with the lemon or fruit "flavor" per day.

Also honestly -$$$ savings - I mean my tap water is free. My water bottle is fancy -it motivates me - but $30-ish or so for my two water bottles I've had for years is worth it! What helped was not drinking any once I found out I was pregnant over 13 years ago.  Stopped all of it.  After pregnancy I resumed -once I couldn't breastfeed - but I managed to limit and then I gradually stopped.

At this point it's been a few years I think since I had diet soda.  I'd be fine having one or two a year -meaning if we're traveling and on a plane maybe I'd order diet coke I guess.  But no craving.  I never really drank regular soda -maybe as a child but my parents restricted it a lot.  I also drank a ton of Crystal Light lemonade 5 years ago with my lovely colonoscopy jug of liquid and wouldn't recommend switching to another artificial drink.  I would definitely do this.  

Good luck!! (A friend of mine used to bring her own diet coke to restaurants -that is how addicted she was -she also quit in the last 10 years and said she felt so many benefits too).

Edited by Batya33
  • Like 1

I have a friend that drank not too much alcohol, but had a habit of drinking 2 liters of Coca Cola a day. When he saw a doctor about his liver, his liver was a mess. His liver can recover slowly over time, but its still a big warning. I am guessing you "diet" soda(nothing diet about it because it probably contains more sugar or whatever sweetener they put instead of it, than chocolate but whatever) would do the same to yours. So, it would be very wise because of your health to quit it. 

Edited by Kwothe28
  • Like 1

Hey Jazz!

Oh good Lord! If you find out, please let me know! I read your question with a can of Diet Coke popped open on the counter top!!!

I think we all know how bad this stuff is for you. I am British too and I also drink tea! (Properly done, with hardly any milk, very strong, and loose tea is best of course!) Coffee addict, even energy drink addict here. I can easily have a can a dat habit, and this is ontop of, a cup of coffee and then tea throughout the day, even into the evenings. I find the energy drink thing so embarrassing and un-classy as well. So much that; I would never drink one in public! 🥲

Caffeine is so addictive. Civilisation took off in a big way with the enlightenment once caffeine hit Europe. There are theories! It is an amazing drug, in some respects, for the sharpening and stimulation of the mind, the will and drive to push forward. But the cons are not good. It’s so widely consumed I think it’s easy to forget what a powerful drug it is. Every other person I know at least is hooked in a big way, and wouldn’t go a day without. Just listen to people’s tone and dreamy admiration when they talk about their morning coffee, or how they like to take their tea, or, what their favourite coffee shop is. It’s all romance and pure addiction. Myself included.

My husband doesn’t drink any tea and coffee at all, but! He does love a soft drink, maybe every other day. Contains caffeine. Most people are hooked, even if you think not.

Doesn’t make it right or excusable. If you find an answer, please send it my way!! I have zero will power and 4 hours of sleep most nights! Let me in on the secret! I am definitely not health Queen over here! 

I think if you found something suitable to replace it with, you could stop. Like Batya suggested, soda water - tonic water? Something that has fizz. For the energy perk, I am also addicted to throwing down a heady intoxication of dissolvable vitamins on a morning, and crave those just as much as coffee now. Berrocca, dissolvable electrolytes - things like that. They give a perk, and you end up drinking pints and pints of water with them so that’s a plus. But then again; everything in moderation. I have read some studies that even too many multivitamins and over doses of electrolytes and magnesium and what not can affect your liver and heart. God knows.

Maybe next time you are sat in front of your doctor, or if you know one, ask them exactly what they do too the body. It might put you off. 

Sorry I am no more help Jazz, in the same boat!

I am a caffeine addict, spend addict, chocolate addict, cheesecake addict! Adrenaline junkie, speed freak, sex addict! Run my mouth off addict! Baby addict! ENotAlone addict at the moment! I get completely obsessed with things, all or nothing. Some people are wired with this potential more than others. The problem is, like all drugs, you need more and more to experience the same thrill you got previously. This is why, teenagers and what not start on their first cup of Joe at 17 thinking it tastes disgusting, only to have one every Sunday morning with the rents. Then, by time they are 30, they have a paunch and an 8 cup a day habit with their favourite mug never leaving the coaster on their desk only to be re-filled with urgency and sluggishness all at the same time because, their tolerance has got right up there. 

Ever known one of those mad nutters who has a full blown coffee right before bed and sleeps like the dead? That’s when you know you have hit a wall with this stuff. 

*Pours rest of Diet Coke down the sink*

(Only joking, I’m drinking it NOW!) 🤣 Let’s go get a double shot and cherry pie, RIGHT NOW! 

((As a fellow caffeine addict to another caffeine addict, I would suggest, for the artistic, wonderful and seductive expression of the love for coffee and sugar combined in that, wow, heady mix - watching Twin Peaks. Especially Agent Cooper. I love that show.))

Good luck!

x

Edited by mylolita

I also have a theory as to, why people find destructive addictions attractive. Especially women.

Think of, the chubby professor, the intellect, who drinks whisky and soda and has a cigar hanging out his mouth. Aren’t we, on some level, captivated by the absolute disregard for his own personal health? It’s, risky. Dangerous. Sexy?! We fall in love and admiration with that darkly creative mind that yes, is naturally drawn and entwined with destructive patterns and behaviours and yes, unhealthy choices. They almost seem to go hand in hand.

James Dean, dark circles under his masculine, squinted eyes. A cigarette hanging in complete nonchalance out of his pouty lips. Driving too fast in his sports cars. Vastly sexy. His end, for sure. The heavy set gangster, with his slicked back hair and large, hulking frame. Bloated with pasta and wine but you know the natural strength of a bull lies beneath. Genius is often teamed with, unhealthy habitats. Nerve and charisma is not normally, all put together and wholesome. Never sleeping. Bad decisions. Criminality, even.

I have this theory that, some women adore the cool disregard for health. It’s the bad boy image, just in a different package. The squeaky clean guy who goes out jogging every morning at 7am to come back to shower and then cook you a healthful breakfast of avocado on toast and say sweetly, how are you feeling baby? just… it’s not the same. The vastly unhealthy workaholic type too, this is also another turn on for some women, which goes hand in hand with, smoking, caffeine abuse, alcohol abuse, drug abuse sometimes. They have fleeting and fast relationships with women. No time. Are often selfish and consumed. Delightful, as well as logically not good to get involved with, to quite a lot of women.

I worked in a legal office for three years. So many of the men there were high achiever, workaholic types who held three degrees, one always in some kind of law. Most of them were very average family men, wanted to get the job done then leave, although they were very committed. The one who always captivated me the most just so happened to be the top dog there. He was completely unorthodox as a barrister, but all the best ones are. He was revered and genius in his field. He was skinny as a rake, small, sharp looking. A degenerate coke addict, an alcoholic, a chain smoker. He would have gin and tonic at his desk, he came in every morning late having no sleep being on a bender most nights. Insanely, he always managed to pull it out the bag last minute and turn up for court. I remember him doing one of his many paid talks with the shakes due to not having had any alcohol for like, 5 minutes. Drank coffee like a fish every morning to try sober up. I am sure he did coke in the bathroom. 

Anyway, I am not advocating this but, he was the best. For how long, I will never know, you can’t usually keep that lifestyle up and function. Last time I checked though he had his own practice out in Dubai. He had the most original mind, and the highest IQ there by far, but, led a completely destructive life. I got on with him the best. He was the most open, witty, and original. 

Just a theory. I’m not saying it’s good. It‘s an observation.

Wow, I sidetracked. LOL! Good luck giving up the soda!

🤣

x

Edited by mylolita
  • Like 1

Sorry, with all this talk of soda and caffeine I have just broke my 2 week energy drink dry spell and taken out the single diet red bull in the fridge invisibly marked “Open In Case Of Emergency” like Pop Eye with his can of spinach.

I have just, inhaled the scent from the top of the can upon DE CORKING.

In deep people, in deep 🤣🤣🤣

x

Edited by mylolita

4 hours ago, jazz_lover said:

I go through waves so there’ll be two or three weeks of the year I’ll want ginger beer or ginger ale. If I order something on the go I might add a diet fizz drink. It’s usually to accompany a meal and no desire drink it on its own. I don’t think I actually like the fizziness of it or have my fill and then am done for the while. 

11 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

I go through waves so there’ll be two or three weeks of the year I’ll want ginger beer or ginger ale. If I order something on the go I might add a diet fizz drink. It’s usually to accompany a meal and no desire drink it on its own. I don’t think I actually like the fizziness of it or have my fill and then am done for the while. 

I don’t know how you do it Rose! 

x

Diet soda does not hydrate. Your body NEEDS water. Not coffee, not diet soda, not beer or wine and not energy drinks. All those things DEhydrate you, which is the opposite of what your body needs.

You run the risk of kidney and other internal organ issues, brain fog, dry skin and hair, digestive issues...the list goes on and on.

If you MUST have a diet soda make sure you follow it with at least three to four glasses of water. Everyone should be drinking a minimum of 60-ish ounces of water a day. Again, just water, not beverages that have a bit of water in them.

You'll feel better when you're hydrated, much better than the "buzz" you get from caffeine and sweeteners.

As for how to break your "habit", do it by weaning off a bit at a time. Don't go cold turkey or you'll feel sick and lethargic, not to mention the headache from hell. Taper off a little at a time over the course of a few weeks. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I don’t know how you do it Rose! 

x

I don’t know. Probably didn’t grow up with it so can’t seem to have a lot of it or didn’t develop a liking. I do love chocolate and candy. And ice cream. I prefer not to keep ice cream in the house as willpower is consistently low.

• Like 1

mylolita I think you are on another level of caffeine addiction! And yeah coffee and cherry pie is a classic combination. And I do not think you are encouraging me to quit by telling me my diet soda addiction enhances my sex appeal! 

I drink a lot of water already. 

But yeah the diet soda is definitely addictive so worth abstaining for a while and seeing if I feel a lot better without it. 

• Haha 1

I drink Zevia soda, which comes in different flavors. It has the natural sweetener Stevia which hasn't been known to cause strokes and cancer like the artificial sweeteners.

I like one carbonated drink per day. I looked and they do sell Zevia in England.

• Like 1

Yeah I feel you because I’m addicted to sugar-free redbull. In fact before my exams I drink coffee first and like after 15 minutes I drink my sugar-free redbull. And I only drink 1 liter of water every day so it’s not enough. But for me the worst thing coke does is that cellulites. So if you care about cellulites than you should stop drinking it.

• Like 1

Don’tcha wanna go back to the 80s though where everyone had a smoke and drank a soda and had a martini and every other person wasn’t a health fanatic opening their fridge to have trillions of organic purple and weird coloured health food fall onto their Botox face?

🤣

I mean, is it just me, or are we pretty serious these days? Drink your water, try eat healthy, but you can have your Diet Coke now and then, no biggie, you can have your wine with dinner. Enjoy your coffee. We have to live, right? Life is mostly made up of the simple, small pleasures.

But yes Jazz good luck with quitting LOL! I have no doubt you will feel better!

x

12 hours ago, jazz_lover said:

But yeah the diet soda is definitely addictive so worth abstaining for a while and seeing if I feel a lot better without it. 

Exactly. Just quit and you'll see the difference and feel better. Don't replace it with equally bad so-called "natural" artificial sweeteners because it's not solving the problem.  In fact it tricks people into having more junk because it's "free" of calories. Just have real food and drinks. 

3 hours ago, mylolita said:

Don’tcha wanna go back to the 80s though where everyone had a smoke and drank a soda and had a martini and every other person wasn’t a health fanatic opening their fridge to have trillions of organic purple and weird coloured health food fall onto their Botox face?

🤣

I mean, is it just me, or are we pretty serious these days? Drink your water, try eat healthy, but you can have your Diet Coke now and then, no biggie, you can have your wine with dinner. Enjoy your coffee. We have to live, right? Life is mostly made up of the simple, small pleasures.

But yes Jazz good luck with quitting LOL! I have no doubt you will feel better!

x

Nope -not me and not most of my friends although I smoked cigarettes for one year in the early 80s.  Went to tons of awesome dance clubs in the 80s and early 90s (and beyond but mostly then). I've never been drunk, never tried an illegal drug, never had a one night stand/casual sex.  But yes I also get it and have a sense of humor re: what you wrote, promise! Loved the music, the concerts, the brat pack movies -we were right around that age.  And the health fanatics were in full force, promise but we were just learning how bad saccharine was, etc.  

The 80s weren't all that terrific, just as no era really was. They weren't awful either. Just regular. Although the clothes were pretty bad. My friends and I didn't smoke cigarettes or drink martinis lol, but the aerobics craze was just beginning so fitness was a thing for sure.

There's nothing wrong with indulging in things that are bad for you once in a while. Everything in moderation and have balance. And exercise! Go outdoors and move. I just go for long walks but it's great to enjoy being outdoors and doing something healthy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dias said:

And the hair style too. Probably the worst hair style trend in human history.

I agree. All that hairspray and huge hair.

Actually it was the 1970s where everyone smoked and drank martinis and the women took Valium to "get through the day". Very unhealthy era.

I drink no more than one diet soda per week. But I'm stopping even that because it gives me such awful indigestion! That's why I stopped drinking even a glass of wine every few days. My stomach can't take it. And energy drinks make me jittery and I have to pee every five minutes. I drink one cup of hot tea every morning and sometimes a glass of iced tea in the early afternoon. Everything else is water and caffeine free herbal tea.

Also, check the labels of fruit juice. So many of them have less than 10 percent fruit juice. The rest is sugar! Horrible!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dias said:

And the hair style too. Probably the worst hair style trend in human history.

Oh. My. God.

Wash your mouths out! When done properly, the 80s hair to the Gods was glamorous and out there. LOVE IT STILL! You cannot change my miiiiinnnnd!

(As someone who is owner to huge, thick, dramatic curly hair, maybe I am biased!) 

I agree the shoulder pads can go on the bonfire though! 

B930B21C-84E6-4AC3-9537-E2AD1EA5A394.jpeg

D995E20B-4ED0-42C8-8992-738394F6F614.jpeg

DC329ADA-2D85-43D8-A23D-F3FA85991C49.jpeg

0FABC50C-3BE9-449A-89EE-E8F222692B4B.jpeg

BF28F24C-6BE8-4F15-B803-FE3F419894F3.jpeg

A25F14B7-8B40-49FE-8568-1E64D910FA14.jpeg

CD05F6C4-9870-4422-A33F-487B18539C2C.jpeg

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

I agree. All that hairspray and huge hair.

Actually it was the 1970s where everyone smoked and drank martinis and the women took Valium to "get through the day". Very unhealthy era.

I drink no more than one diet soda per week. But I'm stopping even that because it gives me such awful indigestion! That's why I stopped drinking even a glass of wine every few days. My stomach can't take it. And energy drinks make me jittery and I have to pee every five minutes. I drink one cup of hot tea every morning and sometimes a glass of iced tea in the early afternoon. Everything else is water and caffeine free herbal tea.

Also, check the labels of fruit juice. So many of them have less than 10 percent fruit juice. The rest is sugar! Horrible!

You guys are all way healthier than me!

I thought the 70s looked absolutely slinky and fabulous and sexy - LOL! Valley of the Dolls? 🤣 But everyone was so skinny! 

I don’t know whether I have indulged in a decade of excess and indulgence through having such health mania, anorexia, obsessive exercising, fasting and food restricting from being 15 through to about 28. I didn’t eat bread for a whole year! And I used to class a full meal as “a bowl of peas with a dusting of rock salt”. I have gone from one extreme to the other.

Although, I drink no alcohol. Probably, couple of units a year. And this is not to be health conscious it’s just, I’m not bothered by it. And I have been pregnant and then breastfeeding almost continually for 4 years, so no alcohol; and hardly any caffeine, and definitely no energy drinks! So when I stopped breastfeeding at about 8 months, after each baby, I would go CRAZY! Have a total caffeine party!!! Then, pregnant again and nothing close for another year at least. I abused caffeine massively in my younger days though. When I was dancing, I never drank but I would have a red bull before work. Sometimes I would take a caffeine tablet even, but not that often. I started work, 9pm and finished 3am sometimes 4am. But, I’m a night owl so it wasn’t too hard.  I never had a cocaine addiction like some of them. 

You gotta have some vices. I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t openly make mistakes or have vices!!! Squeaky clean and skeletons in the closet come to mind!!!! Unless, there are perfect, wholesome people out there?! Batya - are you human?! 🤣 

I have never taken drugs either, not even smoked pot once. Never smoked, ever. But I love caffeine and I love sugar and both at the same time is even better! I hate exercise and I will lay on my side and be fed grapes if I can get away with it - LOL! 

Apparently, you can have your genome coded. People who live along time are owners of one or more types of these N chromosomes. I can’t remember which. You can look up Dr Sinclair. They can smoke and eat fried food and live to be 90. 

My Great Grandfather (who died 2 weeks after I was born in 1989!) was nearly 97 when he passed away. He had fought through two world wars, smoked like a chimney, never took exercise, ate a fried breakfast every morning and sat in a chair reading for most of his adult life. All my Mums side of the family are the same. 

I’m not saying, don’t be healthy but, don’t obsess about it, like I did. It made me miserable, anyway. 

I once read an interview that had compiled all the oldest living people and what their secret was. Most of them had done nothing special. No gym memberships back then. They just had a wicked sense of humour and didn’t take life too seriously. They were mentally hardy. Maybe there’s something in that. My Great Grandfather was the same.

Anyway all ya health fanatics and anti-soda people! I will ask your advice in another year after my heart attack 🤣 until then, I have just fried up scrambled eggs, spring onions, French toast followed by some dark chocolate and a strong coffee! 🤣 I have, to my merit, spent the morning at the beach with the kids and pushed a double buggy with two of the three in it up the most gruelling bank ever. That is enough for today for lazy ol’ me!

———-

“He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”

———-

”Never trust a man without vices.”

———-

—Winston Churchill