Jump to content

20% chance of cancer


Recommended Posts

My husband has a 20% chance of cancer and is going for further testing in April, that is the soonest they could get him in after they discovered the nodules in February. 

My husband’s mother has had cancer 3 times and his sister has had pre cancer. His maternal grandparents died of cancer. 
 

I am pretty worried that 20% is a pretty high risk considering his close blood line relatives ( his mother and sister ) also having had cancer and pre cancer. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d be worried too. Small consolation, now eyes are on it, if there is it’ll be detected early. But no cancer is better *crosses fingers and toes the tests come back negative*

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 1a1a said:

I’d be worried too. Small consolation, now eyes are on it, if there is it’ll be detected early. But no cancer is better *crosses fingers and toes the tests come back negative*

The scary part is it is inside his face and is at the moment inoperable. So I am kind of worried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My husband has a 20% chance of cancer and is going for further testing in April, that is the soonest they could get him in after they discovered the nodules in February. 

My husband’s mother has had cancer 3 times and his sister has had pre cancer. His maternal grandparents died of cancer. 
 

I am pretty worried that 20% is a pretty high risk considering his close blood line relatives ( his mother and sister ) also having had cancer and pre cancer. 

😢 I'm also hoping test results will be negative. {{Big virtual hug to you}}

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My former husband has had cancer twice and went through chemo both times.

He is now in complete remission and is healthy and well.

Best wishes for a good outcome for your husband, however it comes about.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear this, Seraphim. 

Even though the risk is comparatively low, it is still scary to imagine the possibilities. Having said that, as @boltnrun pointed out, there are many folks who go on to live well after successful treatment. 

And there is still a good chance that it isn't cancer. My own partner had a small tumor removed and biopsied a few months ago. I was a wreck waiting for the results, especially after having lost two family members to cancer within the last couple of years. But fortunately, my partner's was benign and he's fine. Sometimes it really is not the worst-case scenario, and I am hoping the same for your husband. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning Seraphim,

 

I’m sorry to hear of your worry over this, I understand where you are coming from with his family history. But! As others have said, you are aware and alert and this is the best thing. People can be perfectly healthy at 40 and because they are still fairly young they are not vigilant. 
 

How old is your husband? 
 

x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I pretty worried that 20% is a pretty high risk.

Wait for the biopsy. The fact that they don't see it as more urgent is a good sign. Where did you get "20% chance" from?

 Hope everything turns out ok. Be supportive and hope for the best.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Wait for the biopsy. The fact that they don't see it as more urgent is a good sign. Where did you get "20% chance" from?

 Hope everything turns out ok. Be supportive and hope for the best.

The doctor said it was a 20 % chance. It is not a biopsy they are doing first it is another more in depth ultrasound . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 1a1a said:

I’d be worried too. Small consolation, now eyes are on it, if there is it’ll be detected early. But no cancer is better *crosses fingers and toes the tests come back negative*

I am hoping early enough. They found it totally by fluke because of another issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, boltnrun said:

My former husband has had cancer twice and went through chemo both times.

He is now in complete remission and is healthy and well.

Best wishes for a good outcome for your husband, however it comes about.

His mom survived cancer 3 times including another round of breast cancer and breast removal at 84. She had her first fight with breast cancer at 60. She is 87 and still alive . 

Edited by Seraphim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MissCanuck said:

I'm sorry to hear this, Seraphim. 

Even though the risk is comparatively low, it is still scary to imagine the possibilities. Having said that, as @boltnrun pointed out, there are many folks who go on to live well after successful treatment. 

And there is still a good chance that it isn't cancer. My own partner had a small tumor removed and biopsied a few months ago. I was a wreck waiting for the results, especially after having lost two family members to cancer within the last couple of years. But fortunately, my partner's was benign and he's fine. Sometimes it really is not the worst-case scenario, and I am hoping the same for your husband. 

Thank you. I am glad to hear your partner was ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

The doctor said it was a 20 % chance. It is not a biopsy they are doing first it is another more in depth ultrasound . 

It seems like the doctor picked up on your anxiety and is trying to reassure you by saying that it's an 80% chance it's benign. It's also reassuring that they're just taking their time with noninvasive imaging. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Wait for the biopsy. The fact that they don't see it as more urgent is a good sign. Where did you get "20% chance" from?

 Hope everything turns out ok. Be supportive and hope for the best.

It is not that they don’t see it as urgent. The health system is in complete shambles due to Covid people dying of cancer and not getting their cancer treatments and surgeries because it is a mess . It was the soonest they could provide. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wiseman2 said:

It seems like the doctor picked up on your anxiety and is trying to reassure you by saying that it's an 80% chance it's benign. It's also reassuring that they're just taking their time with noninvasive imaging. 

 

 

I never talked to the doctor . My husband told me what the doctor said. The doctor doesn’t even know he is married let alone I am anxious about it. He was just going for results of an ultrasound when they told him. She said due to the placement of the nodules found it is a 20% chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

Morning Seraphim,

 

I’m sorry to hear of your worry over this, I understand where you are coming from with his family history. But! As others have said, you are aware and alert and this is the best thing. People can be perfectly healthy at 40 and because they are still fairly young they are not vigilant. 
 

How old is your husband? 
 

x

My husband is almost 53. What happened was he finally got his poor ears cleaned out after 2 years because they were not seeing you in practice for 2 years. After they flushed his ears he got a double massive ear infection and one side of his face swelled like a balloon. 3 months later a doctor said well we should do an ultrasound on that side because that isn’t normal. That’s when they found the nodules inside his cheek. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

My husband is almost 53. What happened was he finally got his poor ears cleaned out after 2 years because they were not seeing you in practice for 2 years. After they flushed his ears he got a double massive ear infection and one side of his face swelled like a balloon. 3 months later a doctor said well we should do an ultrasound on that side because that isn’t normal. That’s when they found the nodules inside his cheek. 

Hey Seraphim,

 

Thanks for sharing this info, really sheds light on your situation. 
 

Just on the bright side, I wonder what all our general chances of certain cancers are since we reach certain ages? If we looked into it we might be surprised. It still doesn’t undermine your rightful worry or what you have been told.

 

Do you know any other doctors to get second and third opinions? Can you afford at all to fast track his tests? 
 

The health system over here in the UK is just as bad. It is quite nerve wracking waiting for scans and operations even when the system is working well. 
 

Best thoughts too you Seraphim. Try to remain positive, because likely this is benign as the doctor has given him an educated stat. There is also sometimes nothing better than your own rigorous research and asking the consultants as many questions as you can when you do get sat in front of them. I realise it was your husband abs not yourself so you couldn’t at the time. Please don’t think of the worst, I know it’s so hard, I would feel exactly the same way as yourself.
 

All the best,

 

x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Hey Seraphim,

 

Thanks for sharing this info, really sheds light on your situation. 
 

Just on the bright side, I wonder what all our general chances of certain cancers are since we reach certain ages? If we looked into it we might be surprised. It still doesn’t undermine your rightful worry or what you have been told.

 

Do you know any other doctors to get second and third opinions? Can you afford at all to fast track his tests? 
 

The health system over here in the UK is just as bad. It is quite nerve wracking waiting for scans and operations even when the system is working well. 
 

Best thoughts too you Seraphim. Try to remain positive, because likely this is benign as the doctor has given him an educated stat. There is also sometimes nothing better than your own rigorous research and asking the consultants as many questions as you can when you do get sat in front of them. I realise it was your husband abs not yourself so you couldn’t at the time. Please don’t think of the worst, I know it’s so hard, I would feel exactly the same way as yourself.
 

All the best,

 

x

Because he is military they do all the appointment making . Unfortunately he can make no appointments himself or they won’t pay. He dosent have a provincial health card like normal citizens do. The military is covered under a federal system and they are covered by Blue Cross. 
 

Unfortunately,  I can’t go in and ask any questions no people are allowed in with the patient at all since Covid started unless of course the patient is a child. And my husband doesn’t ask questions he just accepts life as it is. He knows very little about anything medical  that’s more my thing. He doesn’t think to ask questions he just accepts  what they tell him. His whole family is like that. I would want to know more and he doesn’t care. 
 

He isn’t telling his mother or his sister for now until he knows more. He said if he finds out he has cancer he will tell them then. But his mum is 87 a three time cancer survivor and needs a pace maker put in because she has Afib. ( she refused to take her high blood pressure pills for 40 years because you know doctors are stupid. 🙄🤦‍♀️ And she ruined her heart)

Edited by Seraphim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Seraphim said:

He knows very little about anything medical  that’s more my thing. He doesn’t think to ask questions he just accepts  what they tell him.

Let him handle it. Try to be supportive by quelling your anxiety. he'll find out what's happening as more tests are performed. The "20%" thing sounds like his interpretation, since no physician would state this without a biopsy and appropriate test results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Let him handle it. Try to be supportive by quelling your anxiety. he'll find out what's happening as more tests are performed. The "20%" thing sounds like his interpretation, since no physician would state this without a biopsy and appropriate test results.

That is specifically what he told me the doctor said not an interpretation. She said due to where the nodules are those are the chances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Seraphim said:

She said due to where the nodules are those are the chances. 

Maybe he doesn't want you to worry or add to his stress with your anxiety about it. Doctor-patient communication is confidential and he'll tell you what he sees fit. In the meantime manage your worrying and let him take care of it. Being upset  on top of whatever he's facing is not helping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...