Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

So my city is pretty well known as being very LGBTQ+ friendly.  Everyone is welcome here.  But with this big event this weekend there were over 100,000 non-local visitors to the city.  As I was on my morning walk there was a trans woman wearing a bikini crossing the street toward the side I was on.  Now, this is not an uncommon sight in my city, but I understand some people are not used to this.  A group of spectators for the event were on the same corner I was on waiting to cross, most of them men.  Some of them were saying things like "That's actually a guy", which showed how much they don't know about trans people lol.  That is not a guy, it's a trans woman.  However, not one person insulted her or made any mean comments to her.  I've seen that happen before but at least for the few minutes she was near me no one said anything mean to her.  So that was nice.  

I do have to say, she looked absolutely amazing in that bikini.  I used to wear a bikini when I was young and I looked pretty decent in it, but she looked fantastic.  Completely flat stomach, slim hips and curvy legs.  I was a bit jelly!

A little girl who lives in my building with her mother and older sister screams constantly. For hours upon hours upon hours. I don't know when the little girl breathes or sleeps.

I've seen her, mouth wide open, face bright red, eyes watering and that continuous, constant screaming. And what can you do? You can't discipline a two year old. Her mother keeps telling her to stop but obviously that's completely ineffective. And her sweet older sister seems used to it. She just quietly walks along with her mom and sister.

I hope the mom has taken her to the doctor and explained what she's doing.

Yes, it's extremely disruptive. I work from home and the constant screaming is distracting. But I'm not going to complain to the mom or the building management. What for? 

I talked to my cousin yesterday. Her husband is getting worse. His doctor has given a tentative diagnosis of bipolar disorder with schizophrenic tendencies. He's seeing and hearing things. Definitely not faking for attention. They see the doctor again this week and she's going to ask that he be admitted for inpatient treatment.

Poor things, all of them. I can't imagine the extreme stress she's under. I told her I love her and am here for support whenever she needs me.

For the first time in about two months I am signing into work in my pajamas. Not sure why, but I woke up at 3:00 am and only got about 30 more minutes of sleep after I set my alarm forward. I'll shower during my "coffee break". It feels weird, though.

Once again, super thankful for the ability to work from home.

19 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I am so sorry. I hope he gets the help he needs in inpatient care . It is a very difficult condition to manage for the person and the family. Hopefully he gets the right medications and therapy. 

Thank you.

He's currently refusing to take his meds due to his paranoid schizophrenic delusions. He insists what he's seeing and hearing is real and he's angry that no one believes him. My cousin is going to talk to his doctor privately because he is telling the doctor he's fine and everything is great.

21 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thank you.

He's currently refusing to take his meds due to his paranoid schizophrenic delusions. He insists what he's seeing and hearing is real and he's angry that no one believes him. My cousin is going to talk to his doctor privately because he is telling the doctor he's fine and everything is great.

Very common unfortunately. She may have to commit him if he won’t go willingly . 

41 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Very common unfortunately. She may have to commit him if he won’t go willingly . 

She's hoping the doctor will agree he needs inpatient treatment and will make the arrangements. 

Unfortunately they only have government insurance which oftentimes only covers the very basics. So she would need the doctor to confirm he's in a crisis situation. Hopefully he will.

I had a nice weekend. I had brunch and a walk along the beach with my son and his spouse on Saturday. Yesterday was spent watching sports and cleaning my apartment after another walk past the theater and around the lagoon. Weather is lovely except for the strong winds.

I did resort to taking an Ativan last night as I was still awake at midnight. Of course I'm still groggy today. Probably could have slept another two hours. Might skip the walk today and go tomorrow instead. We'll see.

OMG what a day at work. I needed several "brain breaks" today. I'm getting busy more frequently which is good!

But I'm very tired. I haven't been sleeping well, likely due to the brownies I baked and have been eating. Eating a lot of sugary junk always makes me feel icky even though it tastes good! 

I'm going to an event this weekend that will feature baked goodies that use healthier ingredients. I've had vegan baked goodies before and they are delicious!

I went to the dentist yesterday. I was expecting a really bad report on the condition of my teeth. Honestly expected to need three, possibly four extractions and a mouthful of cavities. Well, turns out I only need one extraction and only have one other cavity! Everything else looked good. Although the dentist did chastise me for letting the tooth that is coming out go for so long. Well, sorry, but the pandemic made me less than enthusiastic about going to the dentist where water is sprayed and you have to be maskless!

So, not bad at all!

My downstairs neighbor takes 45 minute showers. I can't imagine why anyone would need to be in there for that long. Problem is, when he's showering it affects the water temp and pressure in MY shower. So if I try to shower at the same time I get colder water and low pressure.

Guess I'll be waiting...

Antibiotics making me so lethargic. It's a stunningly beautiful day. I did go out for about an hour and a half. Stopped by two local events, did some shopping at small local businesses and picked up some lunch. Been sitting at home ever since just resting and watching Nascar. Gotta go grocery shopping this evening. Don't feel like it but I'll be angry with myself if I put it off until tomorrow.

Planning a morning walk for tomorrow. Hoping I get enough sleep. Having to get up at midnight to take a dose of antibiotics is very disruptive!

Another two hour sleep night. I have to get up at 1 am to take an antibiotic pill. So I can't sleep before because I'm anticipating having to get up to take the pill, and I can't fall asleep afterward because I'm anxious about not falling asleep and not getting enough sleep.

I'm a zombie today. Hoping work is slow so I can lie down in between tasks.

18 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Another two hour sleep night. I have to get up at 1 am to take an antibiotic pill. So I can't sleep before because I'm anticipating having to get up to take the pill, and I can't fall asleep afterward because I'm anxious about not falling asleep and not getting enough sleep.

I'm a zombie today. Hoping work is slow so I can lie down in between tasks.

Sleep anxiety is the worst.  I took (take) Xanax.  When I was working I commuted 90 min's each way.  I'd wake up at 3, get anxious that I had to sleep 2 more hours or I couldn't function or I'd be toast, falling asleep behind the wheel.  I did this for 18 yrs!   

My employer changed insurance for one year and I had to see a different dr a friend recommended.  I was told this dr was super conservative and he'd take away my Xanax.  First visit the topic came up and I when I anticipated what was about to happen, I told him of the sleep anxiety and the liability I would be to *someone* if I fell asleep behind the wheel.  He didn't say another word and wrote the prescription.

I am sorry.  I wish I had a magic answer for you.  Hopefully you are almost done with the antibiotics.

52 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

I am sorry.  I wish I had a magic answer for you.  Hopefully you are almost done with the antibiotics.

Thank you.

Isn't it amazing that you can be so very exhausted and yet be completely unable to sleep?

I will be done with the antibiotics Thursday. I'm not sure why my dentist ordered a 7 1/2 day supply unless he thinks my tooth is really, really infected. But he's extracting it tomorrow! Maybe he thinks the infection went down into my bone or whatever.

8 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thank you.

Isn't it amazing that you can be so very exhausted and yet be completely unable to sleep?

I will be done with the antibiotics Thursday. I'm not sure why my dentist ordered a 7 1/2 day supply unless he thinks my tooth is really, really infected. But he's extracting it tomorrow! Maybe he thinks the infection went down into my bone or whatever.

Yah, not sure about the routine antibiotics in dentistry now a days.  I remember having to do a 10 day course before a root canal, rather than just going ahead and doing it.  In the moment I felt they were just buying time by doing it.  Maybe that is the case. . or the liability of postponing a treatment you need immediately. 

I am going to take a chance and guess that they'll keep you on them for a few more days.  Sorry . .but just a guess.  If that's the case, ask them if you could change to something where the dosage doesn't require you to wake up around the clock.

Good luck with the extraction.  Ouch!

Yeah, I figure it's like most antibiotics and I need to finish the course. 

I had two extractions in 2020, right when the pandemic was just starting to get really bad and everything was shut down. That was a surreal experience! But interestingly it didn't really hurt that much. So I'm hoping this one is the same. They're also filling another tooth and doing a cleaning. So probably will be sore but hopefully not too bad.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Yeah, I figure it's like most antibiotics and I need to finish the course. 

I had two extractions in 2020, right when the pandemic was just starting to get really bad and everything was shut down. That was a surreal experience! But interestingly it didn't really hurt that much. So I'm hoping this one is the same. They're also filling another tooth and doing a cleaning. So probably will be sore but hopefully not too bad.

I have my first appt in 2 years next month.  Same here. . not wanting to go to the dentist during a pandemic.   My typical experience in the past is I end up with a cold or a cold sore. . something I can always seem to trace back from having had been to the dentist.  There was no way I was comfortable going during Covid.  I have been called an "overzealous" brusher by the hygienist.  For the past two years I floss, pick and brush non stop.  Hoping it helped me some.  Fingers crossed.

Just now, reinventmyself said:

I have my first appt in 2 years next month.  Same here. . not wanting to go to the dentist during a pandemic.   My typical experience in the past is I end up with a cold or a cold sore. . something I can always seem to trace back from having had been to the dentist.  There was no way I was comfortable going during Covid.  I have been called an "overzealous" brusher by the hygienist.  For the past two years I floss, pick and brush non stop.  Hoping it helped me some.  Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

I was shocked that I only need one extraction and have only one other cavity. I thought for sure they would need to pull the remaining 30 teeth lol.

I had the previous extractions done during the early part of the pandemic because my dentist determined my case was an emergency. Dentists were only taking emergencies at the time. The pain was unbearable. I remember driving home from work holding my jaw and nearly crying. The oral surgeon was wearing what looked like a space suit with an air purifier strapped on his back and a hose leading to a helmet with a clear visor. Remember that scene in the original Willy Wonka film from the 70s when Mike Teevee was going to be on television? That's what he looked like. I was in a room alone with a giant air purifier and a TV screen. And then he completed the entire process including numbing shots, extraction of two teeth and stitches in 12 minutes. I timed him. Very impressive.

I think this time will be less dramatic lol. I just want to get it over with.

• Like 1

I got about four hours of pieced together sleep. I'm working a 3/4 day today so I can go get the extraction done. Hoping to be done by late afternoon so I can go home, decontaminate myself and then try to get some sleep.

It cooled down a lot. I always struggle to sleep when it's hot, so maybe I'll have better luck tonight.

Just now, boltnrun said:

I got about four hours of pieced together sleep. I'm working a 3/4 day today so I can go get the extraction done. Hoping to be done by late afternoon so I can go home, decontaminate myself and then try to get some sleep.

It cooled down a lot. I always struggle to sleep when it's hot, so maybe I'll have better luck tonight.

Good luck today!

Well, yeah, that kind of sucked. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been. And I'm supremely relieved it's over with.

I have a gaping hole where the tooth used to be. And I'm hungry but nervous about accidentally dislodging the blood clot that's vital to healing. But other than that I'm OK.

Bonus, a lot of the work was performed by two young men who are about to take their final board exams to be fully licensed dentists. Nice looking young men with large dark brown eyes and medium brown hair. It helped to look at them when the numbing medication wasn't quite working.