Guess who’s my boss now? :(

mical
SIGNS OF A TOXIC BOSS | THERAPIST R...
SIGNS OF A TOXIC BOSS | THERAPIST REACTS TO RAISSA KENGNE

Hi,

So I had a post a while ago about this malignant narcissistic coworker that was saying hateful threatening things to me, I stood up for myself and reported on her to stop the abuse.

Turns out she’s now my boss and has been on paper for the last month they just tried to keep it hidden to avoid any issues…

She was attacking me and others again this week so I contacted HR to make sure they update the organizational chart with my REAL team leader who (I’ll say Mark in this case).

So Mark just called me and said 

“well I don’t want to rock the boat but technically she is your team leader but if she does anything you can tell me anytime”

The amount of abuse this person inflicts on others is not normal so I asked if I could switch teams, he said since someone else is leaving they really need me to do what I do now PLUS maybe 50% more…

My notice period is 3 months. I’m now considering just resigning instead of having to deal with abuse…

I have emergency fund savings to support myself so even if I do quit now I’ll be ok no matter what.

This person is pure evil. Like working for the devil himself.

Would you suggest I just quit as give my 3 months notice? 

• Sad 1

I would not quit without having a new job lined up.

Yes, you have savings but I think that should be reserved for when you have an emergency (such as a layoff, company closing, illness or injury, major car repair, apartment down payment), not because you want to change jobs.

Oftentimes just knowing you're working on getting a new job makes it easier to deal with difficult people.

So if you want, give your 3 month notice and work it out, at least until you have a new job. Polish up your resume and start sending it out today after work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry to hear this, Mical. That is frustrating. I’d start looking for work now and make the transition while you’re still employed. In that period more information may come to you about your workload and who you report to.

Eventually if you feel this position is untenable then do what’s best for you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mical said:

Update:

Mark called me just now and said he has good news.

He had talk with his boss and she will not be a team leader anymore.  They will now flatten the structure and I report to him (who is her boss 😉)

They will inform her on Thursday she will no longer be a people manager and hopefully she is ok.

Seems like a miracle, at least for now….

I do feel guilty for “rocking the boat” ehm oh well 

Excellent. I was quietly hoping this would be the case as well. 

• Thanks 1

So you just discovered something interesting - your company needs and values your skills more than your psycho coworker. Between the two of you, they'd rather she get mad and go than you. They literally can't afford to lose you.

Next time you talk about bonuses or raises....keep that info in the back of your mind.  😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's very tragic situation you got stuck in. But leaving without any offers would be bad. As you said got three months of notice, so put down papers and start looking for new jobs. I would have helped in looking out for new job but i am not aware of your profile. Anyways I am currently hiring for sales and marketing role in IT industry.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:41 AM, mical said:

Seems like a miracle, at least for now….

I do feel guilty for “rocking the boat” ehm oh well 

CongrAts, Mical!

Skip the guilt, and embrace the idea that sometimes rocking the boat is what creates the miracle.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, catfeeder said:

CongrAts, Mical!

Skip the guilt, and embrace the idea that sometimes rocking the boat is what creates the miracle.

Thank you 🙂 Exactly, at least it will make the situation better for now.

It still makes me a bit sad though that after I reported someone for bullying and harassment they promoted that person as my boss and kept it hidden from me for 3+ months and apparently that person even wrote my performance review…

My friend the other day said it showed a lack of respect and value towards me that they would hide who my team leader is, especially after the abuse, so this makes me a bit sad. Now almost everyone quit so I guess they really need me now..

I’ll start sending out resumes for something better. At least I won’t feel so guilty leaving.

I'm glad it worked out. But I agree with your friend and would still look for another job.  To have your direct manager changed and you were not talked to about this, especially with the issues you two have, this company is terrible.  And I would not be surprised they screw you over again.

Business can be cold and sometimes we take lumps with no cause of our own, but you do need to work somewhere with more integrity and concern for employees.  

• Thanks 1

Nice ending:

Just had yearly performance with my “real” teamleader yesterday (great timing!) and he’s super happy and said hopes it will continue! 🙂

Coworker came out of his review with a smile on his face. He then whispered to our coworker - “Do you know what he did?! He wrote HR to put ‘Mark’ as the team leader!” and the other said “that’s sooooo good!!”

Mark said he’s sorry what happened and he will be the teamleader going forward..the other will just advise but doesn’t have even in contract to be a people manager anyway…

But….

just 15 minutes ago she came to my desk and brought me a cake 🍰 

Yes, I was hungry and ate it. She had a smile on her face (for first time in months) and when she left my colleague said “maybe it’s poisoned” and so I said to my coworker and boss - “Any of you guys want to switch plates?” And they both responded - “hell no no way!”

Yes, I ate the cake. I heard her laugh in the other room 5 mins after.

Well if this is the last post from me, you all will know what happened 😂🤷‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:15 AM, mical said:

Would you suggest I just quit as give my 3 months notice? 

I know this sounds awful, but please, don't quit or resign or get yourself fired.

Try to stay under the radar... just do what you have to do, and try to get out of there, or make it to the 3 months.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Try to stay under the radar... just do what you have to do, and try to get out of there, or make it to the 3 months.

Yep I’ll just stick to my plan of being the most neutral and boring person in the room 🥱

On 2/6/2022 at 7:04 AM, mical said:

I’ll start sending out resumes for something better. At least I won’t feel so guilty leaving.

I sincerely hope that you are actively working on getting a better job.

As for guilty.....about what exactly? You do realize that the day they don't need you anymore they'll can you and nobody will lose sleep over that, right?

The people in this company have already shown you that they don't care and will lie and sneak around. They will literally stab you in the back and hope that you don't figure out that you are bleeding any time soon. In short, they will exploit you as needed and discard you as needed. Who and what exactly are you being loyal to?

Sometimes, work can be a lot like a toxic relationship. You do have to figure it out, get a plan together, and leave.

• Thanks 1