Return to work after leave

Hi all, 

I just got back to work from bereavement leave and my manager who was supposed to cover for me during my leave said they 're sick (yet again) and won't be in today or tomorrow. Therefore, I have no clue what's been done in my absence. I was off for a week. My manager sent an email to the two project leads I've been working on to tell them the reason for my absence. One sent me their condolences and did not send any work instructions during my absence. The other one did not send any condolences and kept sending me work instructions during my absence despite being told my return date was TBD. 

Only two people sent me their condolences, the rest of them have remained silent. I don't care about their condolences because I understand some people do not want to talk about it, but in all fairness, if someone is off on compassionate leave, you don't harass them with instructions fully knowing they won't be able to action as they're absent. I find the lack of respect to be shocking and I'm sincerely starting to wonder what I'm doing in this company. 

Is this normal behavior? 

It’s not harassment if it’s related to work. Just because you are on leave doesn’t mean other people are. Coming back to a mountain of work emails can be challenging and that’s normal. 

Focus on getting back on track and less energy spent getting upset over info that you can use.

You’re still grieving but leave that aside and remain professional while at work. You’re there for a paycheque and references so you can move on eventually if you can’t grow in the company.

• Like 1

Is this a new job? I know you had written before about your toxic work environment and how you were thinking about applying for new jobs.

I've been out for various reasons and had others continue to send work for me. Even though I had an "out of office" automatic reply on my email. I wouldn't worry about being behind or anything because they got your automatic email reply and knew you were not in the office. Just catch up the best you can.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

Is this a new job? I know you had written before about your toxic work environment and how you were thinking about applying for new jobs.

I've been out for various reasons and had others continue to send work for me. Even though I had an "out of office" automatic reply on my email. I wouldn't worry about being behind or anything because they got your automatic email reply and knew you were not in the office. Just catch up the best you can.

No, it's the same company I previously wrote about. 

I'm trying to catch-up though some people are already expecting me to deliver "yesterday" like I did before based on some emails I've seen. My manager is off "sick" (yet again) and I'm now asked to cover some items for him when I can barely handle mine as it is. 

Sometimes I send someone requests forgetting they are on leave or assuming they'll deal with it when back.  In my former job if you were on vacation you still had to work as needed - but not for bereavement leave.  I missed one day of work during my pregnancy because I was so sick and checked email -got an assignment and chose to try to do it given the context.  She knew why I was out but -work is work.  I send condolence emails depending on how I was informed and who the person is.  

It's simple -for those people that expect you to deliver faster than usual because you were out simply tell them in a positive way without apology when you think you can deliver.  I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated.

• Like 1

I agree on the expression of sympathy. I don't send it to every single person who lost someone. However, I think it is the polite thing to do if you're dealing with someone who has been supporting you and delivering quality work to you every single day for almost two years. Some people don't feel comfortable addressing death in any way shape or form and I can respect that (I used to be the same), but at the same time, I don't want them to think that by things are going to revert back to the way they used to be that quickly. I'm trying really hard not to let my emotions rule me and it's new territory to me because I've never been much of an emotional person. 

Today only I used my lunch break to cry in front of my laptop. At the end of the day, work is work, I shouldn't let my emotions rule me. I simply feel uncomfortable and anxious now.