Jump to content

Is this too weird of a gift?


boltnrun
 Share

Recommended Posts

My son and his spouse need nothing. They really don't. They have a small condo and a tiny kitchen. They literally have no more room for kitchen appliances, implements or gadgets. They have all the furniture and decor they want. And they already got gift cards for clothing.

I asked them for gift ideas and they shrugged and said they didn't really need anything.

I had bought them a decor item for their birthdays (a lovely plant and plant pot) and they were polite but not super enthusiastic about it.

I did notice all the times I've visited that their trash can is old, stained, cracked and the lid is broken. You have to lift the lid with a finger and shove trash inside. And the edges won't hold a bag. So I thought I would buy them an automated trash can, where you just wave your hand over the lid and it opens and closes on its own.

I like to give practical gifts. And I despise giving gift cards (I think they're a copout unless the person specifically asks for one). But would this be too weird?

Just for full disclosure, I am going to buy it no matter what, but I still would like opinions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes it's great - can you put some gifty stuff in it -it would be really fun/funny -you know like some good coffee beans or chocolates etc - I think I have the brand called "human" and it's great.  It's not weird at all.

(Oh a gift I love to give to those who have everything -google -the sock club -based in Austin Texas.  Oh and also I just tried to private message you with a cat sitting question but it didn't go through)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're just looking for opinions and going to buy regardless... which seems silly to bother but I'm game! 🙂

I would not like that as a gift. If they wanted a fancy garbage can, they'd buy one.

I think its better to give a gift card to dine out or something that they might enjoy. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to think gift cards were a cop out, until I realized I didn't know what to get anyone. I'd get a few items IF I knew what they wanted, but otherwise I'd give gift cards.

I'm also someone who would rather make a large meal for people than give them an unappreciated gift.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if it would be unappreciated. But I think after reading responses I will ask them if this is something they'd want. If not I will have to think of something else.

The element of surprise was removed years ago in my immediate family lol. We all ask each other what we want so we don't end up giving unwanted items or things someone can't use. For example, my goddaughter gave me a box of See's candy a few years ago. A nuts and chews variety box. I am allergic to chocolate and go into anaphylaxis if I eat nuts. Oops.

Thanks for the feedback!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd keep it less personal and not involve any home decorating. In my culture superstitions abound so giving someone a trash can would never fly although I appreciate your attention to detail and desire to give something useful that they can use on a daily basis.

I think a gift card is very thoughtful and not a cop out. It gives the person the freedom to buy what they want and I've always appreciated that instead of random items I give away in the end or donate. 

Personally, a gift card to a restaurant they frequent and can make memories out of is more valuable than a kitchen item. I like that suggestion from Lambert.

Either way, it comes from the heart so if you've already decided then I think it is good enough.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I don't know if it would be unappreciated. But I think after reading responses I will ask them if this is something they'd want. If not I will have to think of something else.

The element of surprise was removed years ago in my immediate family lol. We all ask each other what we want so we don't end up giving unwanted items or things someone can't use. For example, my goddaughter gave me a box of See's candy a few years ago. A nuts and chews variety box. I am allergic to chocolate and go into anaphylaxis if I eat nuts. Oops.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think this is the way to go.  Ask and then you'll be sure to know. 

It's so hard to gift adults! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't do a restaurant gift card because they already go out to eat a lot so I don't feel it would be special. And I really don't like gift cards unless they specifically ask (as mentioned before). And we're not superstitious about gifts although my brother definitely is about other things (he won't make a will even though he's going through a divorce and has several children [not his current wife's] because he thinks it would be inviting death!)

I'm going to ask them again what they would like. If they say they want a gift card then of course that's what I'll get them.

Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do handmade for those who have everything... Baking, preserves, fresh breads, things like that. Sometimes I do more sentimental... Boards with photos arranged nicely, 12 days of Christmas with 12 little notes and gifts, things like that. 

Maybe that's not your jam, but I bet there is something you are great at that would be appreciated.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I do handmade for those who have everything... Baking, preserves, fresh breads, things like that. Sometimes I do more sentimental... Boards with photos arranged nicely, 12 days of Christmas with 12 little notes and gifts, things like that. 

Maybe that's not your jam, but I bet there is something you are great at that would be appreciated.

 

I'm not crafty at all 🙁And my son is an artist (not sure where he got his artistic talent from lol).  They don't have any shelf space either as their place is tiny. We'll be doing a dinner together so that's covered.

I'm going to just ask them about the trash can and if that's a no go, they'll have to give me some ideas of what they'd want.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I do handmade for those who have everything... Baking, preserves, fresh breads, things like that. Sometimes I do more sentimental... Boards with photos arranged nicely, 12 days of Christmas with 12 little notes and gifts, things like that. 

Maybe that's not your jam, but I bet there is something you are great at that would be appreciated.

 

So with covid I was more wary about homemade food.  Homemade crafts for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MsAin1st said:

I vote yes to the trash can. The automatic ones are nice. I’m too cheap to buy one myself but would gladly take  one for a gift. 

The least expensive one I found was about $60. Of course I would include the required batteries. But it seems I should ask first 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno, I love new technology in any form, if you think your son and his spouse would like something like that I dont see why not. Recently friend moved in with his gf, noticed they dont have spice racks and bought them a nice one, they loved that. If they dont have a nice garbage bin and you noticed I really dont see why they would mind, its always nice to have something new in your home. I dont think its weird if its a nice present like that and if they dont have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, I would ask them first as an automated trash can is a gift that may not be well received. It's sort of like gifting someone a vacuum cleaner or any item, really, related to cleaning.

If you end up getting them the automated trash can though, I would follow Batya's suggestion and make it more personal by adding some chocolates and wine (or whatever they like) inside.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A practical gift is only practical if you've talked about it and you know it's wanted. Otherwise it's just another impractical unwanted thing in their tiny space they have to smile and accept. Those trashcans tend to be bulky.

If they like to eat out, then a gift card to a good restaurant they would enjoy is an ideal practical gift. I'm not sure why you perceive that it would not be special of appreciated. Quite the opposite - it's something practical that they would actually enjoy and value and think warmly of you as they enjoy an evening out. So much better than yet more stuff in a tiny space.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this cool trashcan on social media somewhere.  It has the lid opening feature you mentioned, but it also has a vacuum feature on the bottom.  A small horizontal opening, that when you are sweeping the floors you sweep it up to the bottom of the can and it vacuums is up!  Brilliant! I found it on Amazon.  There were a few of them, weird shapes.  The one I saw in the video looks identical the typical aluminum one I believe you are talking about and it's $88.

Over the years I have been grumbling about gifts.  Everyone anxious, running around buying each other things we don't need.  Christmas is for kids, IMO.  Now with our families growing we are getting away from exchanging gifts.  I have always said to my sons, my gift is time with you.

Getting together Christmas eve with my brother's family.  The invitation states 'gifts for those under 5 years of age only' I was so excited! 

My bf and I agree to spend the money on a ski trip for the two of us in January.

I do really like that trashcan though, lol 🙂

Edited by reinventmyself
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be taking up extra space. It would go in the space where their old, broken trash can currently is. They hate that broken trash can, they've told me so!

I'm going to ask them, though. For all I know they already ordered a replacement.

Just as an aside, years ago my husband and I had a vacuum cleaner that broke. We were also broke (see what I did there??) so my in-laws bought us a new one for Christmas. Far from being offended, we were grateful since we didn't have the funds to buy a new one and our apartment was all carpet.

Different strokes for different folks! And I need to stop with the cliches lol.

Thanks again for the input.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

It wouldn't be taking up extra space. It would go in the space where their old, broken trash can currently is. They hate that broken trash can, they've told me so!

I'm going to ask them, though. For all I know they already ordered a replacement.

Just as an aside, years ago my husband and I had a vacuum cleaner that broke. We were also broke (see what I did there??) so my in-laws bought us a new one for Christmas. Far from being offended, we were grateful since we didn't have the funds to buy a new one and our apartment was all carpet.

Different strokes for different folks! And I need to stop with the cliches lol.

Thanks again for the input.

Yes take those cliches out with the trash LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cash is king. $$$  The most practical gift is money and even though you despise giving gift cards, what's appreciated most is a VISA gift card (or Mastercard, for example.)  People don't want clutter.  With money, they can buy whatever they wish such as groceries, take out  or carry out meals, store or online shopping or whatever strikes their fancy. 

As a recipient who has a lot of material items, I always appreciate money above all else and whenever I couldn't think of anything to give,  I gave money which is the most practical and most appreciated gift of all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

Cash is king. $$$  The most practical gift is money and even though you despise giving gift cards, what's appreciated most is a VISA gift card (or Mastercard, for example.)  People don't want clutter.  With money, they can buy whatever they wish such as groceries, take out  or carry out meals, store or online shopping or whatever strikes their fancy. 

As a recipient who has a lot of material items, I always appreciate money above all else and whenever I couldn't think of anything to give,  I gave money which is the most practical and most appreciated gift of all. 

I appreciate your suggestion but in my family giving cash is not viewed favorably unless it's the "dollar dance" at a wedding. And my son and his spouse make good livings so they have all the cash available to them that they need.

It's not that they can't afford to buy a new trash bin. It's just not a priority for them as they tend to spend on travel (not recently of course), restaurant meals and nice clothing.

I don't believe replacing a broken item with a new one adds "clutter". Generally one would get rid of the broken item once a replacement is purchased.

But I will ask them and if they don't want or need a new bin I can ask them what they would appreciate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...