Awaiting to hear back from a job I really want!

Want to come on here just to let off some steam! I applied for a job mid last week. I was one of the first round of candidates interviewed. The interview consisted of a group activity, independent speaking section and an individual panel interview. I knew that they were interviewing for candidates this week also (as I got to choose the day I went to my interview and there were slots available this week), and they are recruiting for multiple positions (although I don't know exactly how many). 

I really want this job, I felt confident having left the interview, and the recruiters told me that I would hear either way in up to 10 days time. I understood that there would be a minimum of a 7-8 day wait as they were interviewing the other candidates. It's now passed the 10 day threshold and I am growing increasingly apprehensive that I have not heard back. I am really interested in this position, and unless I did an absolutely awful interview, do feel that I hold the relevant knowledge and qualifications to do the job. In my current profession, you are used to hearing back same day or day after on a job interview, so having to wait is driving me mad 😂 

I haven't put all my eggs in one basket and I am continuing to apply to other positions too, and I understand that not all companies/places are the same and there may be other factors going on behind the scenes. But I am also conscious that the longer you are waiting, the less likely it is you've secured a position. I should hear via email whether I have been successful or not, but the wait is so arduous! 😅 Just wanting to come on here to let off some steam about how I am feeling!

• Like 1

When I really want a job I follow up via email.  They may be on the fence about some candidates, or there may be more opportunities you don't know about.

Of course there is no guarantee that following up will get you the job.  But it can't hurt.

I had applied and interviewed for a job I really wanted about 10 years ago.  I followed up with an email and received a response that they would let me know (usual canned response lol).  Almost 3 weeks went by and I still hadn't heard anything.  So I followed up yet again, and that same day I got a phone call!  The hiring manager apologized and said she had been really busy, but she had chosen me and would be sending an email with all the details that week.  Of course it was another week before she got around sending the email but I did get the job.  So it can happen.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

When I really want a job I follow up via email.  They may be on the fence about some candidates, or there may be more opportunities you don't know about.

Of course there is no guarantee that following up will get you the job.  But it can't hurt.

I had applied and interviewed for a job I really wanted about 10 years ago.  I followed up with an email and received a response that they would let me know (usual canned response lol).  Almost 3 weeks went by and I still hadn't heard anything.  So I followed up yet again, and that same day I got a phone call!  The hiring manager apologized and said she had been really busy, but she had chosen me and would be sending an email with all the details that week.  Of course it was another week before she got around sending the email but I did get the job.  So it can happen.

Thanks boltnrun. I have considered sending an email, and I know that's what parents will advise (they've been doing their usual check-in of 'have you heard anything???' 😆) It's just that painful waiting game at the moment! Well done on getting your job, though! I hope the wait wasn't too stressful for you! 🙂 I'll be updating this thread when I eventually have an answer 😅

6 minutes ago, artsygirl said:

Thanks boltnrun. I have considered sending an email, and I know that's what parents will advise (they've been doing their usual check-in of 'have you heard anything???' 😆) It's just that painful waiting game at the moment! Well done on getting your job, though! I hope the wait wasn't too stressful for you! 🙂 I'll be updating this thread when I eventually have an answer 😅

Why are you only "considering" sending an email?  It's important because it shows you are truly interested in the position and it could make you stand out from the other candidates.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

Why are you only "considering" sending an email?  It's important because it shows you are truly interested in the position and it could make you stand out from the other candidates.

I was just saying that I was thinking about it as the surpassing of the 10 day threshold was only very recently. I'm likely going to send one tonight or tomorrow morning...

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

Fingers crossed for you! I hope you get the job. I agree about sending them a thank you note and follow up.

Thanks Rose Mosse! I did send a follow up email yesterday evening. Didn't hear anything today so I am gradually moving into a phase that I may not have gotten it. Have already applied to another job elsewhere and trying not to go out of my mind with the wait! 😂😫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, not to burst your bubble. The sad truth is, you should never get excited about a job you applied for. In the past, I interviewed for so many places. Would get narrowed down vs. other people, pass coding challenges (I'm a software dev) only to be passed up. 9/10 places wouldn't even contact me back. Save the excitement and celebration for when you actually get hired somewhere. 

Delays can happen when there are key decision makers involved that interrupt the process.

I've learned this the hard way, but delays don't always mean a lack of interest.

On the hiring side I've been kept on pins and needles by higher-ups while fearing that I could lose my first pick candidates while they delay finalizing.

It's a tough process for everyone. Hang in there, and fingers crossed for you!

• Thanks 1