Sometimes I am so depressed its hard to pull myself out of bed

For the last two weeks I have barely been getting by. I do the absolute minimum amount of work to stay afloat. I keep putting things off till tomorrow until I am 2 months behind. I don't have any new tragedy in my life. Everything is more or less the same. My love life is in park but tbh its been in park for a long time so that's not new. There's nothing I can point to as a cause of my sadness but I feel this immense weight of the world type of sadness that won't go away. There's nothing that I enjoy that much. I don't want to go out with friends. When I do go out it feels like a huge effort. Just last weekend I spent time with really good friends and everyone had a good time but I feel like I am performing. I haven't been this depressed in a long time. I know it will pass. I just felt like telling someone without telling anyone. 

24 minutes ago, porenn said:

I haven't been this depressed in a long time. I know it will pass.

Ok see a physician for a complete work up and evaluation  for physical and mental health.

How do yo know "it will pass"? How do you know you don't have thyroid, neurological or metabolic issues? 

Get a work up, ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support.

If you drink alcohol or use any drugs including weed etc. Stop. Get involved in sports and fitness. Review and improve your eating program and nutrition. Stop any fad diets. 

Join some clubs and groups. Take some classes/courses. Volunteer. Get a side job. Don't rely on willpower alone to pull you out of this inertia/depression.  Some lifestyle and self-discipline changes help, but get a clean bill of health.

• Like 1

Concentrate and focus on your health.  Exercise daily, eat smart, sleep well and this will help remove cobwebs from your brain.  You need seratonin and endorphins to elevate your mood.  You ought to try it and you'll become a more positive, upbeat, cheerful person.  It has worked wonders for me.  I hope it works for you, too.   Exercise and getting healthy is nature's Prozac. 

I become a negative, whiny, grumpy lady whenever I skip my exercise days.  Then when I resume my disciplined regimen, I become kind to myself and toward others.  I have more energy to be very productive and industrious as well. 

There is truth to the sound body, sound mind connection indeed. 

7 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

How do yo know "it will pass"? How do you know you don't have thyroid, neurological or metabolic issues? 

This! I was once showing signs of depression due to thyroid issues which affected my life terribly and for quite some time. Had I been diagnosed and been on appropriate medication sooner, I could've avoided a lot of heartache back then.

Please make sure that your depression is not caused by any medical condition.

You can't just snap out of depression, nor does it generally just pass with time. You need to change your lifestyle, so you get better. Yes, it takes effort and consistent discipline. Yes, you don't always feel like it. But every step you take, now matter how small, helps.

I've been through depression, so my recommendation would be for you to go to the doctor first. Then, I'd suggest you create a simple to do list like "went for a walk", "did cardio for 30 minutes". Every day you tick what you've accomplished. Reflecting back on doing even a simple activity, for example "taking a shower", feels like you've achieved something on that day. Lastly, keep talking to someone / us about how you're doing. It's good to have someone you can share this sort of stuff to.

Keep moving forward. You'll be okay. 🙂

• Thanks 1