What kind of disorder is this?

Hello guys,

I just wanted to ask if someone knows what kind of personal disorder is when person has constant need to give you tasks, I mean you talk about every day life, and this person always tells you what you need to do, or what you could do better. One of my friends is doing that and I am really curious how is it called in psychology?

For example ,I have flat mate who constantly cook, I tell my friend on the phone "she is cooking again" in a way it is funny and friend tells me tell your flatmate this and that about cooking?!?!??!Why would I? Or I don't know what banal example, she always has snt to say what I should do, it is starting to be impossible to have normal conversation with her. Before I didn't pay that much attention on those things, but lately it really annoys me.

Well, I'm sure some people will say your friend is a narcissist (people love to throw that term around willy nilly) but I would say your friend just thinks she knows more than everyone else or is smarter. But she REALLY is insecure and wants people to THINK she's smart. Which ends up having the opposite result.

I don't believe this is a personality disorder as those are severe and need a professional diagnosis.

You can tell your friend you are fine and don't need any help. And neither does your roommate.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, turtle3 said:

I just wanted to ask if someone knows what kind of personal disorder is when person has constant need to give you tasks

You don't need a psychiatric diagnosis to simply avoid bossy, irritating or annoying roommates. Just stay in your own lane.

• Like 1

It's annoying and kind of micromanaging/trying to interject in situations where it's not needed.  So what I would do is share less of what you're doing/thinking and tell her politely "how about if I need input on what I should be doing, or doing differently, I'll ask you, ok?"

1 hour ago, turtle3 said:

Hello guys,

I just wanted to ask if someone knows what kind of personal disorder is when person has constant need to give you tasks, I mean you talk about every day life, and this person always tells you what you need to do, or what you could do better. One of my friends is doing that and I am really curious how is it called in psychology?

For example ,I have flat mate who constantly cook, I tell my friend on the phone "she is cooking again" in a way it is funny and friend tells me tell your flatmate this and that about cooking?!?!??!Why would I? Or I don't know what banal example, she always has snt to say what I should do, it is starting to be impossible to have normal conversation with her. Before I didn't pay that much attention on those things, but lately it really annoys me.

She interprets you as having a problem because it comes across as a complaint, such as in the example above. Do you have an issue about the smell or the mess that the cooking creates? If you don't like her comments stop complaining so much. You can rephrase your statements or turn the conversation around and not allow the entire conversation to revolve around you.

Ask her how her kids are doing or what she's been up to lately. Describe some other neutral topic where you can share ideas instead of oversharing what's going on with you.

Smart a s s? I have an aunt like that, she always has some remark to make just to prove how she knows better about stuff better then anyone else, even people who are experts on topic, and how stuff should be done in her way. It doesnt have to be a disorder, some people are just like that. 

3 hours ago, turtle3 said:

Hello guys,

I usually call these AIDS angels in disguise. They sometimes provide a window into our own life's more then theirs. This person probably had a parent or boss who constantly told them what to do, and is probably just emulating that behavior. Personally, some people like that sort of attention, others find it annoying. Sort of just depends on if the advice is helpful and it can often be a mixed bag, great to have those people around if you need structure and organization in your life, but can be annoying if you are more inclined to be strong willed and independent.

I would probably just wonder why they advice is getting under your skin? I can imagine a child or animal trying to pull me in a direction, and just being firm with them letting them know in a controlled manor that I am in control of the situation and their input isn't necessarily. Of course if your insecure yourself, you will feel like this person is trying to control you. Sort of like the way a new employee offers advice to management and management sort of lets them know in a respectful but often firm way, that they are in charge...

Haha thank you guys, some of you really made me  laugh. Yeah, I am just curious, today there is a lot of videos and infos of types of persons, I wish all those videos were there before to us.

I will avoid anyway this friend, it is annoying and get a life syndrome yes haha I feel I can not carry on normal conversation, bcs I am not even complaining, for example I tell her I booked haircut there and there, like you know we talk every day life, she would say, you should have better booked somewhere else, cancel there and call this saloon or snt like that... Anyway, there are really all sorts of people around us haha

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, turtle3 said:

Yeah, I am just curious, today there is a lot of videos and infos of types of persons, I wish all those videos were there before to us.

Oh I'm so glad they weren't - gives people an excuse to label everything as some sort of disorder and label people in general.  If you actually want to continue interacting with this person the next time she says something like "oh you should have...." maybe say "I should have realized what time it is! I have to go pair my socks and color code them -- do you have any advice on how I should do that??" 

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Oh I'm so glad they weren't - gives people an excuse to label everything as some sort of disorder and label people in general.  If you actually want to continue interacting with this person the next time she says something like "oh you should have...." maybe say "I should have realized what time it is! I have to go pair my socks and color code them -- do you have any advice on how I should do that??" 

LOL or say you're going to the restroom and ask if she has any advice or suggestions on how to wipe your butt more efficiently.

• Haha 1