Be loyal to my company or leave?

mical

Recently started a new career in Jan and absolutely love the job and the experience (minus working with a mean “Karen”) is great. 

Anyways, there is the potential the company may lose its license to operate in EU due to Brexit and lost maybe 40% in volume over the last few weeks - but they plan to get back once a license is approved...if it gets approved.

Within the last few months several heads of risk, finance, HR manager and last week the CEO resigned. I have a feeling they may know something they are not sharing.

Other than that, the job is great.

If you were in my position would start sending resumes and leave? I love how I can work from home and get along with with my boss.

I would feel a bit guilty leaving, but at the same time I would have a bit more peace of mind...

2 hours ago, mical said:

If you were in my position would start sending resumes and leave?

Yes. Get your resume updated and out there.

Whatever restructuring they're doing doesn't look good.

Cover the bases. Stay at the job but if they're folding, you may need a backup plan.

37 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Whatever restructuring they're doing doesn't look good.

Funny you brought that up because we were supposed to get a new head of department and after talking to the team said she wanted to “do some restructuring” within the first month.

She was supposed to officially start two weeks ago but cancelled. I suspect it’s because she knows something we don’t.

And I suspect the CEO may have been involved in something a bit dodgy. I searched his name and he recently appeared in some recent court case. He resigned last week.

so sending out resumes it is! Thanks

It never hurts to explore your options. in this particular case, I think you would benefit most from getting out ahead of any kind of lay off. Always easier to find a job when you have a job. And if you and all your peers get let go, then you know you got a lot competition with similar experience. 

Get your resume out there! it has nothing to do with loyalty. You are loyal to you or you should be. 

Can only echo everyone else. Start looking and applying now. Keep in mind that finding a job is a tedious process that can take months.

As for loyalty, you may feel loyal, but the company never is. If they need to lay you off, they will. If they end up closing down, they will. Top people jumping ship usually means that the company is circling the proverbial drain.

32 minutes ago, J-J said:

No such thing as "loyalty". Don't pay anyone for 3 months then show me a raise of hands "who's still loyal to the company?"

It's an agreement: your talent, skill, energy, time - work - produces them money, and in return you're given a slice of it via benefits and a paycheck.

You provide them a service to ensure you have a roof over your head, and food in your stomach (go without eating for 48 hours and let me know if the word loyalty actually exists).

You can create community, but its not loyalty, else you'd do it for free.

As for the Karen, know what she likes, and do what she does - you'll be best friends before you know it, trust, I've dealt with a dozen other types, including my current manager.

Note: is your Karen near 50 years old? Then its likely menopause and you'll just have to weather the storm for then next few years (2 to 5 years), but don't burn any bridges in the mean time. Just stay off the radar and out of her way, and be 100% agreeable, trust.

I confronted Karen's behavior with management and the owner - and explained it's not just me, but everyone else felt the same. She was talked to and pivoted her behavior: we are all valuable, and have to learn our mistakes to make it a successful company: their success ensures we are all financially successful, so we can buy pizza, pay for dog food, else put gas in the car....did I mention roof over the head?

Good luck.

Thanks for the great input! I also confronted the K's behavior with management. She's maybe mid 40s, but very vicious and cruel. She would slam fists on the desk, accuse me of false things, verbally abuse new employees, try and assign us work and make us report to her, and she's not our boss and only in the company for over a year. Anyway, probably best to just support that person with work and kill with kindness...

The field I work in is very niche with not many roles in my city - so would potentially have to relocate to another country in EU like Spain, France, etc unless get lucky with a nice remote offer. Wish me luck!!

Good luck on your search.

Better to get out in front of this like has been suggested.

As far as loyalty goes the heads of the company already showed you how loyal they are to the workers.  They jumped ship right away.

If this company gets it's license back and looks like a good fit for you then you can always apply for your old job as long as Karen is gone.

Polish up that resume and get back out there before more companies in the same boat start laying off workers.

Lost

13 minutes ago, melancholy123 said:

My daughter's name is Karen so I wish people would not call mean/negattive people Karen.

Dust off your resume and start looking for a new job.

I agree, it's extremely unfortunate. Time to start calling those people entitled obnoxious spoiled brats, not Karens or Kevins.

My brother decided to wait it out when his company was going through something similar. He ended up unemployed with a wife, two children and another on the way. It took him over 3 months to find a new job. And since the company had gone belly up he lost all medical coverage in addition to his 401 (k) money since the company had illegally "borrowed" from the fund to try to stay afloat.

Loyalty doesn't exist from the company to you, you know!

5 hours ago, mical said:

Thanks! and yeah that's right about the name didn't really think about that so from now on I'll just say mean person

All people named Karen and their friends and families will thank you if you don't ever say that again.  It's unfortunate someone thought the was a good way to slam someone they didnt like.

9 minutes ago, melancholy123 said:

A company won't be loyal to you, so you need to be loyal to yourself which means looking for a new job.

Exactly!

Just the motivation I needed to apply to our competitor's new job offer :D

Today I learned our Head of Legal now resigned, so at least I won't have to worry about any lawsuits :D

4 minutes ago, mical said:

Exactly!

Just the motivation I needed to apply to our competitor's new job offer :D

Today I learned our Head of Legal now resigned, so at least I won't have to worry about any lawsuits :D

Send out your resume to more than one competitor or organization in your industry. Good luck!

Archived