Why did the professor ask him to leave?

As most of you know, I'm autistic. I don't understand social cues.

Recently I stumbled upon an old college paper I wrote. An incident happened in that class that I don't understand:

The professor handed back to everyone grade report sheets. One student crumbled it up, tossing it in the air. The professor asked him, "Was that your grade report sheet?" He responded, "Yes." The professor then asked, "Why don't you go?" He said ok, and got up and left.

Why did she ask him to leave? Because he showed disrespect by crumbling up his worksheet so publicly?

Thanks.   :)

Yes. because this kind of negative and disrespectful behavior can be disturbing and difficult for the other students.  It can escalate into more/worse disrespectful behavior. The professor was also demonstrating his authority in the class by not tolerating the behavior AND showing he is in control of the situation.

• Like 1

When I was in college I took art history. Loved the class and the professor.  One day we all showed up. I’m positive I was prepared. I mean I loved the class. But it seemed that no one else was.  At all. So she basically dismissed us and had us leave.  She was really offended that we’d show up unprepared.  I respected her decision. Even though I was prepared. 
when I was a teaching assistant in college - college English - I also made sure I had respect.  Yes they were adults but no I wasn’t going to tolerate someone with headphones in his ears while we taught.  

On 7/13/2021 at 9:47 AM, Seraphim said:

Because he was disrespectful. 

Weird thing is, he stayed in the class. He didn't leave permanently.

We were also divided up into groups in that class. We had to pass in a feedback sheet to the professor grading each other. I always wanted to see how we all graded each other.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:12 AM, catfeeder said:

Message behind crushing the paper: "I have no interest in this."

Message behind professor's question: "If you have no interest, why are you here?"

Not to brag, but I never, ever skipped classes---some professors passed me with a C+ just for that. (I'm horrible at tests/quizzes and of course, following instructions that require working with others. Some professors just didn't have the heart to fail me because I showed so much effort.)

45 minutes ago, TulipWriter said:

He didn't leave permanently.

Why would he have to leave permanently?  He was asked to leave class for that disrespectful gesture, but I assume not banned from all future classes. 

4 hours ago, LaHermes said:

Why would he have to leave permanently?  He was asked to leave class for that disrespectful gesture, but I assume not banned from all future classes. 

Well I would think that maybe he would've dropped that one class from his schedule. The professor (I'm sure) wasn't quick to forgive and forget what he did.

1 hour ago, TulipWriter said:

Well I would think that maybe he would've dropped that one class from his schedule. The professor (I'm sure) wasn't quick to forgive and forget what he did.

Nah, maybe he needed it to graduate. Also when someone returns to acting like an adult there is no need to have them leave. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TulipWriter said:

The professor (I'm sure) wasn't quick to forgive and forget what he did.

Why not? She kicked him out because she was running a class, not because she was mortally offended. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TulipWriter said:

If she wasn't mortally offended, then why did she kick him out?

Because he was disrupting class and being ignorant. People can’t just run riot in a public setting. I am sure she was immediately over it. 

• Like 1

I was a teacher and never felt the standard was I had to be mortally offended to reprimand or give consequences to a student.  It's about the fact that students have to follow the school's and teacher's rules or get consequences whether it's a warning or being removed from the classroom -depends on what was done what rule was broke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I was a teacher and never felt the standard was I had to be mortally offended to reprimand or give consequences to a student.  It's about the fact that students have to follow the school's and teacher's rules or get consequences whether it's a warning or being removed from the classroom -depends on what was done what rule was broke.

Yup, my SIL is a teacher and she gives consequences as needed and doesn’t fret over it. Even my daycare littles had consequences. You can’t have groups of people without rules and consequences or it devolves rather quickly . 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TulipWriter said:

Have you ever taught a class or had to organize a large group of people to do a task or an assignment in a room where you had to lead the group for an hour at least?

1 hour ago, TulipWriter said:

I said why. She's running a class. She has to keep a certain degree of order in the classroom in order for students to be able to learn. Every once in a while, keeping order requires disciplining someone. 

• Like 2