I'm going to be spending summer break in juvie

17/f here. As I'm sure you guessed from the title, I've managed to get myself into a lot of trouble. You see, back in January, I got busted for selling Adderall at school. My brother used to take it for his ADHD and he left behind almost an entire bottle's worth when he moved out last fall. I figured I could sell them for some quick cash. I wish now that I'd thought more about the consequences of getting caught than the money. I might not be in this mess now if I had. 

Following my arrest, I was expelled. I now attend a private school that was willing to take me. And today, I was in court for my sentencing. I'd never been in trouble before, so I thought the judge might go easy on me. Wrong. I've been sentenced to three months in juvie. The only reason I'm not there right now is because finals are next week and the judge was lenient enough to let me finish out the school year. But on the evening of the 28th, I'll have to report to juvenile hall to begin serving my sentence. I won't be released until the evening of August 22nd, the night before school starts again. So, I'm gonna be spending the entire summer in between my junior and senior year in jail. 

I've got so many emotions ping-ponging around inside me right now. First, I'm angry with myself for doing something so incredibly stupid and for letting my parents down so badly. I'm also feeling super embarrassed thinking about how my friends will react when I explain why I can't hang out any this summer. I'm also scared. Not just about being locked up and what that'll be like but also about how this'll affect my future. I've always been a really good student and I want to go to a good college. I don't know how this'll affect that. Don't get me wrong, I know I brought all this on myself. But I'm definitely worried about where my life will go from here. God, I just wish I could turn back time and stop myself from messing up. Why did I have to be so stupid?!?!

I don' t know if anyone will have any advice for me, but thank you all for listening. It feels good to get all this out. I'm gonna try and get to sleep now since I have school in the morning. Something tells me I'm not gonna sleep a wink though.

Aww yeah 😕 .. to have to learn the hard way.. but you learned to not do such things.. yes, is a risk you took.

Yeah, it'll be an experience... but I'm sure your friends will end up learning about the whole deal.. right?   If you feel, just admit it to your closest ones. No more.

My son got himself into trouble as well thru HS.  he got kicked out and never went back, but did earn his GED on his own.. a cpl yrs later.

As for juvie, I'm sure you will manage okay.  There will most likely be meeting up with a few other's your age in there.  Just take it in stride.  Be respectful, learn your place.

Do your time & just get it done.  It will not last forever.

When you are in there, maybe take in a book so you can journal.  write your feelings, write each days events, write as if you were talking to friends/family.  A good thing to do in a place like that, maybe?

Deep breathes... you are not a hardened criminal, you just made a bad decision.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ravenwood96 said:

I won't be released until the evening of August 22nd, the night before school starts again. So, I'm gonna be spending the entire summer in between my junior and senior year in jail. 

Well... that sucks.

52 minutes ago, Ravenwood96 said:

But I'm definitely worried about where my life will go from here.

It's not going to derail your life unless you continue to act like delinquent through adulthood. But from what you've written, it doesn't sound like that's your style. Learn from this mistake, learn from your experience, and you will be ok.

2 hours ago, Ravenwood96 said:

. I figured I could sell them for some quick cash. 

Is there trouble at home? What do you need quick cash for?

Hopefully you'll get lots of counselling and the structure and discipline you need.

Luckily you're a minor. Next time it's real jail, so be honest with people there and let them help you.

• Like 1

I went to highschool with a girl who was busted for stealing money from her employer.

We were shocked to hear about it, as she'd literally always been kind of the star student and athlete and all that jazz. Turns out there were some underlying issues with drugs that most of us didn't know about. 

She also spent some months in a juvenile detention centre.  That was about 20 years ago. Today, she has a good career as a guidance counsellor, is married and has a couple kids. I don't believe she's had any further issues since that rough period in her youth. She seems to have learned from her bad choices and has managed to put it behind her. If you are committed, you can do the same. It doesn't have to derail your whole life if you don't let it. 

Fortunately juvie records get sealed and can't be held against you.

So as long as you continue with the good grades and doing what you need to do for college, you'll be fine and can leave all this behind you as a very hard lesson learned.

• Like 1

DF is right, your records will be sealed. So a college or university won't have access to them.

If this is a one time thing you should be able to go on to have a productive and fulfilling life.

If your friends ask, tell them as much of the truth as you are comfortable with. And tell them it's not worth it to do something like this just to get some cash, as you've discovered. 

The best you can hope for is that you really have learned from this and will never do anything even remotely similar ever again.  Yeah it sucks and as you say you did this to yourself.  It won't be the end of the world, ultimately, tho I'm sure it feels that way.  Juvie is not like prison and maybe you can get your record removed when you are older so it doesn't affect going to college or your future career choice.