Asking out Group Member who lives 2:45 hours away

I have been working on an asignment with a girl in uni. Because of corona all the work is done online. So i only met her 3 times via teams videocall. But i really like her. Our meetings where 4 hours,5 hours and 4 hours long and we only spend like the first 1 hour on work and then we just talked until one of us had to go eat dinner. We also went back and forth writing some weird vegetable political fan fic (don't ask its a long story). But ye like i said in the title she lives quite far away. I live 2 hours away from the uni and she lives 45 minutes the other way from the uni. So even if i get the courage to ask her out on our last meeting as a group i don't know for what. Any tips on how i can smoothly ask her out for some activity are greatly appreciated. And also how i know if she likes me or if she is just friendly towards everyone.

43 minutes ago, Ghjkl said:

I have been working on an asignment with a girl in uni. I live 2 hours away from the uni and she lives 45 minutes the other way from the uni. 

What is the possibility of traveling to her?

If you are going to ask her out, you'll need to think about logistics. But before you ask...

Does she have a BF? Try to talk more to find stuff like that out.

Before you do anything, can this distance be closed in a reasonable amount of time or not? If not, then there is really not much to do as dating won't be possible. If your uni will resume in the fall in person classes and you can close that distance, then it's simple really.

Next time you guys are chatting online, just tell her how much you enjoy that and if she would be interested in carrying on in person - x coffee place or some such. Have a place in mind that is closer to her so she is comfortable meeting you...if that's allowed where you are due to covid. Any place you pick, be sure it's safe and very public. So no walking in the park as she may not feel safe meeting you there, unless it's something like paid botanical gardens with people and security are around.

If she agrees, then keep that first meet just that - fun and casual and see if there is any chemistry in real life. Often times there isn't, so try to approach that first meet with as few expectations as possible. Keep an open mind, see how things go and how you feel and then decide if you should ask her for a real date at some other time. Once you are in person, you'll be able to gauge better what's what.

Remain realistic.  Any time it's inconvenient, expensive to travel back 'n forth for long distances and a very time consuming hassle, usually relationships fizzle fast.   Be practical.  It's better to date locally for obvious reasons.

I'm not even sure IF it's worth it?

That is quite a distance to be apart. It will guarantee some challenges.. eg. travel time so times actually spent together... plus your own things going on in life.. schooling etc. - She may just shy away from the whole thing.  Not wanting to get truly involved with you.. and yeah, even if she has any interest at all.

Can you not look around your own location and leave this one alone?

2 hours ago, Ghjkl said:

Any tips on how i can smoothly ask her out for some activity are greatly appreciated. And also how i know if she likes me or if she is just friendly towards everyone.

Just ask her if she's interested in going on a date. Pick patio dining somewhere where you can pick up food to go and eat or drink. If you drive, go out her way and meet her. As mentioned above, meet her first to see if there's any chemistry in person. This is your proposition to meet her so create a way to make it happen. 

2-3 hours long distance isn't long if you both have cars and if you both drive. Be realistic about the distance regardless as this slows down your ability to get to know someone truly, in-person. You'll be lying to yourselves if you think you have a good idea of what the other person is like through a screen or via phone/video calls. Take your time and see how the first meet goes. 

Archived