• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I quote Cherlyn again, and I second what she says.  If a person (man or woman) is insecure no amount of makeup, beauty salons or designer clothes will make a whit of difference, either way. 

I think the industry creates demand by reinforcing self doubt. This first really stood out to me about 10 years ago, when I was renting a room in someone's house. In the shared bathroom was my la

OP, it is true that secure women who feel that sense of being comfortable in their own skin, they still often enjoy the beauty industry and using products.  There's nothing wrong with this, it just is

Posted Images

Maybe, if they are that insecure, yup.

No one's perfect & to see so many trying to 'change', especially too much  is sad 😕 .

Has not bothered me.. I am who I am.

Yah, I've tried the occasional diet etc.. but has not made me miserable or affected how I see myself.

I was never big into any of that stuff.

• Like 1

Not at all.  Women are in charge of their choices and reactions.  Some women choose to follow trends blindly, others don't, lots in between. I love that there is a beauty industry.  I am finally getting my hair cut and colored in a few weeks (pandemic put a stop to that) and I can't wait to cover the grays - not because of external pressure, because I like how I look with color and highlights and the grays covered.  I'm thankful that my stylist is still in business and so good at it.

I am not as into pretty clothes/shoes as I was 15 years ago (pre-Kid!) but I love certain designers, love when clothing flatters me and that there are fashion designers who are talented and design suits for work for example that aren't cookie cutter -I still get compliments on one of them especially I bought 15 years ago! 

I use body wash products that are sold in supermarkets -a particular drugstore brand -I am certain they are pricier than plain old bar soap like  ivory and I love how my skin feels, the scent -I don't do spas or mani/pedis - no interest- but I like to buy certain beauty products because I feel good about myself.  I am thankful that there are people who work on leggings to make them comfortable and also attractive looking -I don't want to be looked at when i'm working out or at the gym but it's motivating at 6am when I'm getting dressed to work out that I have cute workout clothes rather than any old old t-shirt and gym shorts -I would wear those too but it helps to have the cute clothes.  

I think that there are aspects of the beauty industry that are harmful.  Like, the MLMs that sell overpriced skin creams, fad diets, fad workout regimens.  I think women who are insecure look too intensely at overly thin models.  I've noticed that it's ok to comment on how skinny a woman is but not if she's overweight -both my mother and I have had that happen to us.  I think it's weird.  I'm not a fan of ads targeted to women hiding stretch marks after pregnancy, losing the baby weight with lightning speed, etc.  But overall women are people and people have choices as to what to focus on and how to react.  We're not sheep.  Neither are men.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SooSad33 said:

Maybe, if they are that insecure, yup.

No one's perfect & to see so many trying to 'change', especially too much  is sad 😕 .

Has not bothered me.. I am who I am.

Yah, I've tried the occasional diet etc.. but has not made me miserable or affected how I see myself.

I was never big into any of that stuff.

I see alot of it where it controls someone's will to step out in public if face or hair isn't done.

4 hours ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

Do you feel as if the beauty industry is destroying our women's confidence in themselves?

Do you believe they are in business moreso because of insecure women?

I think the industry creates demand by reinforcing self doubt. This first really stood out to me about 10 years ago, when I was renting a room in someone's house.

In the shared bathroom was my landlord's shampoo. It was 'specially formulated' for coarse hair. One day, I read the bottle. In a nutshell, the bottle said that coarse hair looked unhealthy and unattractive and that the special ingredients in the shampoo would make her hair healthy and attractive.

The shampoo that I was using was for fine hair. I realized that the description on my bottle of shampoo basically said the same thing as her bottle of shampoo (i.e. fine hair was unhealthy-looking and unattractive). The only difference was that my shampoo bottle used different adjectives to describe the unattractive qualities of fine hair. 

That made me realize that anyone who was standing in a store selecting a bottle of shampoo or conditioner had to first decide on what kind of hair defect they had. 😂😂😂

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

I see alot of it where it controls someone's will to step out in public if face or hair isn't done.

Are you sure it's that?  Or is it just that they, themselves don't like to go out in public w/ messy /unkept hair?

That's a normal thing, imo.  Also, I feel, when younger, you are more impressionable.  But, as we get older, we tend to not be as specific, we just do it up & go, lol. ( I'm good as long as I shower within a cpl of days & hair doesn't look too bad.  I wash & go- No longer wash/dry/style).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

Do you feel as if the beauty industry is destroying our women's confidence in themselves?

Do you believe they are in business more so because of insecure women?

I can't speak for all women.  The beauty industry is certainly not destroying my self confidence. 

I've bought certain beauty products over the years and I like them.  Some of it is drug store variety and others are more high end. 

I prefer to look and feel great. 

I pay attention to good health, fitness, grooming, clothing and accessories.   

I've noticed, I've been spending less money especially on clothing.  My mother bought a lot of timeless clothing pieces for me which I've worn for years and it still looks brand new and chic.  Other clothing items are rarely worn  for special occasions courtesy of my mother.  She has great taste. 

I'm very much a girlie-girl.  Ever since I was a child, I've had a collection of various handbags and still do to this day.  I like my designer handbags.  Heck, I've worked hard full time so why not?  I prefer designer handbags instead of flowers!  That's what I tell my husband all the time!  Flowers die.  Handbags last a long time. 

I'm not into vacations, long road trips, flying, living out of a suitcase, dining out or frequent take out meals.  I prefer frequent trips to the hair salon, I can do my own manicures and pedicures easily and I buy random clothing, designer fragrances, purses, shoes and whatnot.  After that, hobbies, reading library books, an occasional good movie at home and that's it.  I have a few local friends.  My in-laws and relatives reside locally.  I don't have time for anything else. 

The beauty industry is in business to make money and their focus is based upon demographics, income, status and socioeconomic class.  Insecurity or security doesn't have anything to do with it. 

• Like 2

I'm middle of the road. On the one hand, I love a lot of aspects of the beauty industry. I really am a girly type of woman where I adore shoes, clothes, perfumes, jewelry, etc.

I could literally look at fashion magazines and at clothing shops all day long.

I love that there is a standard when it comes to looking your best, feeling your best and that it does (to a certain degree), gets women to strive? (not sure that's the right word), to look and be their best.

I love that there is a lot of beauty in clothing, and in shoes, and in jewelry. 

On the other hand, I know that the fashion world can most definitely reinforce standards that no person can live up to.

They advertise perfection.

Their ads are all filtered so that there are no scars, no flaws. 

The women's bodies as well are very thin. I think it's incredibly unhealthy for girls/women to starve themselves due to wanting to obtain the same kind of thin body, in fact, it's downright dangerous.

I don't agree at all with the fashion industry promoting women to be completely perfect and thin as a rail.

The models themselves don't actually look like that as they edit all the pictures.

So yes, definitely it can make women, and young girls especially, feel like they can never live up to that type of perfection.

But I also feel that lots of women are aware that the pictures in magazine and on tv, etc, are not real, and so they don't let it bother them too much.

It doesn't bother me what the models look like as I am not focused on looking like them. I've passed that phase in my life where I compare. 

I try to look my best, and live as healthy as I can so I stay in shape. I think that's the best anyone can do.

Would I change how the fashion industry is run. To some degree, yes.

I wished they promoted more healthy lifestyles where they show women as fit and strong and in shape, and not starving waifs.

I also wished they'd stop editing all of their pictures so that the women look like perfect beings with zero flaws.

It's just ridiculous and fake.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

How do you know the person isn't simply making a choice based on comfort level?  I won't go on my weekly zoom staff meeting without eyeliner and lipstick and my hair down (but not styled - I mean let's not go crazy here during a pandemic LOL) - but I'm not being controlled by anyone -that's my personal comfort level.  Which has changed over the years - I am much more comfortable being out without makeup on and that's a function of me changing, changing my outlook, changing my lifestyle and practicalities -for example when my son was an infant and I was trying to nurse and then was giving him bottles every few hours I stopped wearing foundation or lipstick because I was afraid of it getting on him -the chemicals, etc.  I didn't care what I looked like beauty industry or no.

• Like 1

I will say I am really girly girl as well. I love my designer labels and high end make up and jewelry etc etc . However, I am no longer controlled to “ look a certain way” like when I was a young woman. Now I am just as comfortable not made up not wearing designer labels not wearing jewellery etc. etc. When I do wear make up I don’t wear it how they tell a 50 ish year-old woman to wear it. I love being wild with it and I love to wear my hair in different wild colours etc. I am also very comfortable clean faced and leggings outside playing with my daycare kids. 

I am happy both ways and my husband is happy with me either way. I am not out to impress anyone but myself . That is what I mean . 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SooSad33 said:

shower within a cpl of days & hair doesn't look too bad.  I wash & go- No longer wash/dry/style).

I'm pretty sure it's that.

Because doing it up and going does not look bad nor does it look unkept. 

Of course women don't have to literally wash, blow dry, and go because that would put some ppls hair all over the place.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

Do you believe they are in business moreso because of insecure women?

No, to both your questions. 

How on earth could the "beauty industry" as you call it, destroy "our" women's confidence in themselves?  I am asking.   

9 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

The beauty industry is in business to make money and their focus is based upon demographics, income, status and socioeconomic class.  Insecurity or security doesn't have anything to do with it. 

I full endorse what Cherlyn says.

People are free to spend their money on whatever they wish, be it less be it more.

I do not spend vast sums on cosmetics, but I am no less a person because I wear makeup.

Just a little snippet of information:

"About 19.58 percent of males purchase their cosmeceutical products from cosmetic stores and 23.33 percent of females purchase their cosmeceutical products from cosmetic stores. This shows that for both males and females the most preferred place of purchase of cosmeceutical products is cosmetic stores."

Edited by LaHermes
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I will say I am really girly girl as well. I love my designer labels and high end make up and jewelry etc etc . However, I am no longer controlled to “ look a certain way” like when I was a young woman. Now I am just as comfortable not made up not wearing designer labels not wearing jewellery etc. etc. When I do wear make up I don’t wear it how they tell a 50 ish year-old woman to wear it. I love being wild with it and I love to wear my hair in different wild colours etc. I am also very comfortable clean faced and leggings outside playing with my daycare kids. 

I am happy both ways and my husband is happy with me either way. I am not out to impress anyone but myself . That is what I mean . 

^I think in general, women become more confident when they truly feel comfortable in their own skin.  

If a woman feels uncomfortable in her own skin, she'll view the beauty industry in a different way from a woman comfortable in her own skin. 

So it can go either way.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

^I think in general, women become more confident when they truly feel comfortable in their own skin.  

If a woman feels uncomfortable in her own skin, she'll view the beauty industry in a different way from a woman comfortable in her own skin. 

So it can go either way.

Yes, a few years ago now I let my hair go white. I had been going white since I was 19. I had been dyeing my hair since I was 17. It got to the point that you could see the white shinning through in the sunlight whether it was a box job or at the salon so why bother ? So I had my hair stripped of colour dyed platinum blonde and let my hair grow out. There is some that is dark about 15% and the rest is a real gorgeous silver or stark pure white. Everyone asks me how I got my hair dyed this way. 

This is my natural colour and just as lovely as my original chocolate chestnut hair from when I was young. 

AD0342EC-25D9-4770-A0AC-5BF1AF26943E.jpeg

• Like 2

The male beauty industry is booming:

"The global male grooming market is expected to increase by more than five billion dollars in the next four years, which presents huge opportunities for brands to tap into. We already see the US and the UK leading the market in new product launches, however, Asia represents the largest amount of growth and share of the market with 65%"

Fascinating stuff.

https://www.anthemww.com/latest/blog/how-to-leverage-the-extreme-growth-of-the-mens-bea/

13 minutes ago, LaHermes said:

The male beauty industry is booming:

"The global male grooming market is expected to increase by more than five billion dollars in the next four years, which presents huge opportunities for brands to tap into. We already see the US and the UK leading the market in new product launches, however, Asia represents the largest amount of growth and share of the market with 65%"

Fascinating stuff.

https://www.anthemww.com/latest/blog/how-to-leverage-the-extreme-growth-of-the-mens-bea/

I never miss my manicure and pedicure appointment every Wednesday. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

So it can go either way.

True. I totally embrace the kickback from the topic because we as human defend what we are indulged in whether it's right or wrong.

I believe Somewhere down the line friends, society, Hollywood stars have played a big part on what people look at to be beautiful.

The thing that gets me is when most of these women were just little girls I can guarantee that people from family even to the general public would call them beautiful and all sorts of good compliments. There were no thoughts of trying meet a beauty requirement to live. 

So I believe somewhere down the line going into those teen years this world we live in provoked a change in what beauty ACTUALLY is. 

And im not saying that this is what your saying but i am agree that women would become more confident once they truly become comfortable in their own skin.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

we as human defend what we are indulged in whether it's right or wrong.

Of course. Just take shaving, for example. Most women wouldn't dream of wearing shorts without shaving our legs. But as a kids, we didn't face that expectation. Somewhere along the line, we were told that our body hair is disgusting, and we accept it and defend it as disgusting. Does that make sense? No. But we wouldn't want it any other way. We want our body hair to be disgusting. Would you dare wear a tank top without shaving your armpits? I think not. Sure, it's stupid and nonsensical. But unless we're homeless or a college hippie, we do it. It feels good to comply with social pressure.

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 3

I can see how male and female are both contributing to the industry because yes barbers and stylists make good money.

I am not mentioning males wearing make up because they aren't even close to this topic. I'm talking about women only, women born to be as they are and extremely beautiful the way they are.

When we present ourselves to the world as is we get authentic outcomes.  

8 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Of course. Just take shaving, for example. Most women wouldn't dream of wearing shorts without shaving our legs. But as a kids, we didn't face that expectation. Somewhere along the line, we were told that our body hair is disgusting, and we accept it and defend it as disgusting. Does that make sense? No. But we wouldn't want it any other way. We want our body hair to be disgusting. Would you dare wear a tank top without shaving your armpits? I think not. Sure, it's stupid and nonsensical. But unless we're homeless or a college hippie, we do it. It feels good to comply with social pressure.

My mother-in-law has never shaved her legs ever, but she is European heritage and long Into her 80’s so much different expectations. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

My mother-in-law has never shaved her legs ever, but she is European heritage and long Into her 80’s so much different expectations. 

Yes, I should have specified that I was talking about the US. Europe was different for a very long time. But things are changing there, too.

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

True. I totally embrace the kickback from the topic because we as human defend what we are indulged in whether it's right or wrong.

I believe Somewhere down the line friends, society, Hollywood stars have played a big part on what people look at to be beautiful.

The thing that gets me is when most of these women were just little girls I can guarantee that people from family even to the general public would call them beautiful and all sorts of good compliments. There were no thoughts of trying meet a beauty requirement to live. 

So I believe somewhere down the line going into those teen years this world we live in provoked a change in what beauty ACTUALLY is. 

And im not saying that this is what your saying but i am agree that women would become more confident once they truly become comfortable in their own skin.

I personally am not a person who follows trends blindly although certainly I was more impressionable as a young adolescent and for example was a complete brat in the late 1970s when I was a new teenager and designer jeans that were double the cost of Levi’s were all the rage.  Yes I had a couple of pairs.  My friend had more like 20. Totally influenced by my peers as to what was beautiful.  As an adult - nope.  And at some point all the “society dictates “ stuff gets offensive.  I’m my own person.

I once walked by a Ferragamo store and fell in love with a near $500 bag in the window. Never had that experience with a purse lol.  I spent less than $100 on my purses.  Yes.  I bought it. Not that day.  But not long after.  I love it - haven’t used it in years and it’s not in great shape but used it and loved it for years.
 Societal pressure?  No. I thought  it was beautiful and I loved having it on my arm and it was totally materialistic of course.  Life is a balance that way.  It’s a choice.  I made the choice.  Not society. 

8 minutes ago, Onlyhuman90 said:

I can see how male and female are both contributing to the industry because yes barbers and stylists make good money.

I am not mentioning males wearing make up because they aren't even close to this topic. I'm talking about women only, women born to be as they are and extremely beautiful the way they are.

When we present ourselves to the world as is we get authentic outcomes.  

I disagree.  I think good barbers and stylists are gems.  They work so hard and deserve what they make and tips. I think it’s completely inauthentic to pretend you feel comfortable going out without grooming yourself in the specific way you feel comfortable.  I don’t need to see a woman without makeup to decide whether she’s authentic. I get that by talking to her.  There was a mom at the playground who stood out.  She was really pretty and always dressed to the nines.  It was ridiculous.  And impractical- you try running after little kids dressed like that with uncomfortable shoes. I judged her. I admit it.

One day she invited me and my child over for a play date.  She invited me to sit down at a small table.  She served me tea and truffles. I didn’t ask.  She insisted.  And we talked really for the first time in a meaningful way.  She came here from another country and it was hard. She showed me her artwork.  Amazing.

Wow. I felt so awful having judged  her for wearing makeup and getting dressed up to hang at the playground.l was the one being inauthentic.  Who was I to judge her for her choices and why should she have to dress like the rest of the moms for - as you put it “authentic outcomes”.  

• Like 2