Is it natural to feel yourself detaching

Seraphim

I am moving hopefully soon, it depends on the housing situation in our new location. 

Since it has become more real to me I feel myself detaching from this location. I don’t care about connecting with the people or events etc. I feel irritated if people ask me to feel involved. It is almost like I am desperate to move on. 

I was once a Navy wife and it is absolutely normal. I was the assistant director at a daycare at a base in another country and seven months pregnant, about to move back to the states. The daycare said they were having a special workshop for teachers on a Saturday and I had to teach a brief science project. I told them I wanted to go first and then leave because I had a headache, which I didn't. After I did my presentation, they actually surprised me with a baby shower and asked with sarcasm, "You still want to leave?" Ha ha

Good luck with the move and your new life's adventure.

53 minutes ago, Fudgie said:

Absolutely and it's okay/normal given your situation. Detaching also sort of works as a coping mechanism. You're in the emotional process of preparing to move and that's okay - good even! 

I think it is a coping mechanism. Last time I moved which was to here I had a nervous breakdown not long after. I had always been close to my mom and sibling and I was leaving. 

Now I am more secure in myself but this will be my 38th move in my life. 

47 minutes ago, Andrina said:

I was once a Navy wife and it is absolutely normal. I was the assistant director at a daycare at a base in another country and seven months pregnant, about to move back to the states. The daycare said they were having a special workshop for teachers on a Saturday and I had to teach a brief science project. I told them I wanted to go first and then leave because I had a headache, which I didn't. After I did my presentation, they actually surprised me with a baby shower and asked with sarcasm, "You still want to leave?" Ha ha

Good luck with the move and your new life's adventure.

I hear you from one military spouse to another. For years my husband was Reserve but has been Reg Force now since 2008. This was our first posting location and it has been FOREVER. Half my son’s life. We are happy to go though. But I think it is a survival technique to start detaching from your old community. You can only grieve so much . 

100% normal, including the irritation when someone is asking you for your time and commitment to something local. Your brain is already looking forward to the next chapter and engaging in any commitments locally is kind of counter productive to moving on. Perfectly rational to feel irritated by people pulling at you backwards when you need to focus forward.

Anyway, hope the move goes smoothly and that you enjoy the new area.

7 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I am moving hopefully soon, it depends on the housing situation in our new location. 

Since it has become more real to me I feel myself detaching from this location. I don’t care about connecting with the people or events etc. I feel irritated if people ask me to feel involved. It is almost like I am desperate to move on. 

I’m like that if I meet someone in my newer city (lived in my former one over 40 years ) who seems to be interested in moving to the burbs or out of the city within a year or so.  I stop caring about getting to know the person and detach as a coping mechanism.  So it’s the person who’s leaving not me but despite the whole “I love the city I’ll visit a lot even after I move” it’s typically a load of you know.  And I don’t want to waste my time or get attached.  I wish you all the very very best in your move!!

I think it's totally normal.  Changes are coming, you are mentally prepping fo them.  I certainly did that as we got ready to move 5 yrs ago.  I wanted to move for a really long time and as it was getting closer to happening, I was totally focused on the move, not anything else going on around me.  As I checked off pre-move obligations I felt great!  Finally I am able to move on!

22 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Oh yes. I think these feelings are very normal. Healthy, too.

Archived